What is writing?

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Before I attended in person creative writing courses I used to express my thoughts, feelings & opinions poetically. My creative writing tutor told me that writing wasn't about expressing thoughts, feelings, & opinions but telling stories, sharing memories & scattering words on a page. (I stopped expressing feelings through writing for so long. Now, I've started again but not gushed.) Thinking about it, I'd say that writing was about recording facts & figures, what you know as well as what you remember & what you think & feel maybe in an elegant way. What do you think?

He also said that poems either had to just be words scattered on a page or be written in iambic pentameter. Not all rhyming poems are written in iambic pentameter. Not all of the best rhyming poems are written in iambic pentameter either. (I was challenged to write a poem in iambic pentameter. I haven't managed it yet. Only 10 syllables on each line. I can't do it.)

He also said metaphor & simile were the best ways of using imagery as well as calling a spade a spade. I like metaphor & simile but I also like beautiful descriptions & using symbolism in my works. He was against emotive language which I think is something necessary.

(I didn't believe all he said. I completed the writing exercises he set & believed everything he said that didn't go against what I already knew or what I didn't already know. He appeared to be into the new way of writing *expecting everything to be kept simple* rather than the classical way of writing.)

What do you think?

Reactions: Kieran

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Speak with your own voice from your own heart. Too many morons out there instructing people how to think... decorated with "qualifications" and "lab coats"... that generally conforms to a read and recite methodology.

Reactions: Horsa and Kieran

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Speak with your own voice from your own heart. Too many morons out there instructing people how to think... decorated with "qualifications" and "lab coats"... that generally conforms to a read and recite methodology.
Thank you very much. I will do. I'll feel better for it too. (It was very hard writing pieces in his class. He gave us lots of exercises to do but there were also lots of rules, some of them contradictory. I had to end up doing what I wanted to anyway which was come up with what came into my head & conform to the rules I'd been taught at a much younger age. His exercises didn't bring out the best pieces I'd written as they didn't really allow us to be creative. They were just about following instructions. I was mentally rubbishing some of the things he was teaching as they went against what I knew & what I'd seen written. He did teach us a couple of things though. I spoke up once or twice but he just argued for ages & no-one got any writing done because of it. *He actually said he enjoyed teaching me as I was a good writer with lots of ideas at 1 point.*)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Horsa Odds and Ends 5