What happened to...(Forgotten Players)

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
ETA:
Kevin was South African born, or had the weirdest American accent I ever heard. :D

Of course there are always the French:

Arnaud Clement made the 2001 AO finals , had a chronic eye issue that made him wear sunglasses on court.

A relatively forgotten man it seems is Sebastian Grosjean. What a creative talent he was, pegged by many (including myself) to be the next #1 in the early 2000’s. Like his compatriot Guy Forget, he was better on faster surfaces than red clay, though he did reach 1 SF at Roland Garros, won 1 masters when the Paris Indoors was a fast slick indoor carpet and IMO the best French player on grass in the open era I ever saw.

From India Vijay Armritraj upset #1 Rod Laver at the USO , never quite had the drive or the hunger.

From the States:

David Wheaton from Minnesota. Had a great SF run at Wimbledon in 91, not a fluke as he beat good players Lendl, Pioline, Agassi,
among others. Tall for his time.

Jan Michael Gambil: Saw him live at the tourney they used to have in San Jose, CA. Reached the Qtrs of 2000 W. Beat quite a few former & future #1’s , but he always stood out to me as the American male version of Monica Seles, with his two handed shots off both wings.

From Thailand:

Pharadon Sichaphan: Wasn’t he the first top ten ranked Male Asian player? Had a big power game, beat a whole slew of top players in his day. Good trivia is that he was the first player to defeat Nadal in any Grand Slam singles match at Wimbledon.

Good picks. Grosjean might not have hit the heights expected but a tricky opponent. I though Wheaton underachieved.