The War to End All Wars aka The Great War

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Veterans Day just passed this week here in USA. In Flanders Fields was read and the veterans were there and it was so moving. That war seems disproportionately key in world history. So much changed in those four years. I’m in the USA so I can’t appreciate how the besitos, French, German, Austrian, Italian, Russian and colonial troops view that epic war. Thank you to all of you who served your respective nations. Peace be with you. Shalom

Reactions: britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Veterans Day just passed this week here in USA. In Flanders Fields was read and the veterans were there and it was so moving. That war seems disproportionately key in world history. So much changed in those four years. I’m in the USA so I can’t appreciate how the besitos, French, German, Austrian, Italian, Russian and colonial troops view that epic war. Thank you to all of you who served your respective nations. Peace be with you. Shalom

Humanity doesn't learn, does it though? Only takes a generation or two and it almost fades into being a myth.

I like the lyrics of the classic "All Together Now" by The Farm - which describes the Christmas football match the British and German adversaries played. All European brothers being told to kill each other by the powers that be.

Remember boy that your forefathers died
Lost in millions for a country's pride
But they never mention the trenches of Belgium
When they stopped fighting and they were one

A spirit stronger than war was at work that night
December 1914 cold, clear and bright
Countries' borders were right out of sight
When they joined together and decided not to fight

All together now
All together now
All together now, in no man's land

The same old story again