The Mystery And The Magic of Rafael Nadal

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Clay Death said:
just about 97 days to go for the Australian open.

this slam may go down in history as the single most important slam in history if nadal is able to capture it.

he really will be staring down history if he pulls it off.

and I am going on record right here and right now by saying that nadal is going to win the Australian open.

That's the stuff! :clap

I'll co-sign this one about a week before Oz when I see what's happening...

N

NADAL2005RG

Nadal winning the AO is the obvious choice. All the betting markets will support Nadal, no doubt about it.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Clay Death said:

this slam may go down in history as the single most important slam in history if nadal is able to capture it.

and I am going on record right here and right now by saying that nadal is going to win the Australian open.

general kieran prepare the troops for an attack on the Australian open.

we march, we attack, we destroy, and we take whatever we set our eyes on.

clay warrior king is on a quest. 96 days to go. his armies will be ready for this campaign.

memo to all adversaries in battle:

pray for death.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It certainly will be the biggest match since Nadal was trying to complete the career grand slam in New York in 2010. Before that it was 2009 French with Fed trying to do the same. They both succeeded. Getting a two-times around career grand slam would be a feather in Nadal's cap that might be one of the most compelling arguments for him ever. Looking back, those victories over Roger in Paris in 2006-2007 (when Fed would have won back-to-back grand slams) might be the two biggest of Rafa's career, in retrospect.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Clay Death said:
Kieran said:
Clay Death said:

general kieran prepare the troops for an attack on the Australian open.

we march, we attack, we destroy, and we take whatever we set our eyes on.

clay warrior king is on a quest. 96 days to go. his armies will be ready for this campaign.

memo to all adversaries in battle:

pray for death.

what the hell is that? you might as well draw tennis cartoon and sell it to little kids, and see if they buy it :puzzled

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nadal says he is still playing with pain but I think we already knew that. he is still crying about how too many tournaments are being played on the hard courts:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/tennis/top-stories/Miracle-recovery-Im-still-in-pain-says-Nadal/articleshow/23708962.cms

who the hell is stopping him from cutting back a little bit on the hard court activity to save the knee and to prolong his longevity on the tour?

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
nadal will hurl spheres of aching topspin misery upon those feeble wimps..:emperor

death will vomit over the topspin icons opponents..

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
nadal will hurl spheres of aching topspin misery upon those feeble wimps..:emperor

your writing skills are amazing.

English is not my first language so I am not all that good at it.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
here is a line I use as one of my sigs but I have to refine this one further:

The Ultimate Doomsday Killing Machine--As He Unleashes His Endless Topspin Cyclones of Death-- Resembles a Spartan Warrior King Administering Death.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Clay Death said:

I wouldn't that far lolz, thanks though, :D..Don't think the ghost of Dylan Thomas needs to start haunting me just yet because of literary jealousy..

i'm starting to get into this nadal as warrior thing..:idea:

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Clay Death said:
here is a line I use as one of my sigs but I have to refine this one further:

The Ultimate Doomsday Killing Machine--As He Unleashes His Endless Topspin Cyclones of Death-- Resembles a Spartan Warrior King Administering Death.

I've seen that one on TT, its a good one..keep it.

Didi

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I understand your enthusiasm about Nadal folks but until proven otherwise Djokovic should be the consensus favorite for Melbourne and quite frankly I don't even see much room for discussion here. It's his slam to lose. I don't think the betting market should be an indicator here as someone suggested because the majority of people placing sums on any player are just the casual tennis fans betting for fun.

That's how bettings odds are created and we have seen how it turned out in Wimbledon and New York where Djokovic, respectively Murray were supposed to be the favorites. As things stand now, Djokovic is the favorite to win Melbourne. In 2012 Nadal proved that he can challenge him there and even have him on the brink of defeat but getting close is not getting the job done as we have seen with Nole in Paris this year.

With Murray just returning to the tour in January and huge question marks over Federer, Nole should be a lock for the finals. This time he likely won't be coming off an exhausting semifinal if he faces Nadal in the finals and will be desperate to win a big title for the first time in god knows how long.

I also don't think that the Indoor season will be an indicator either as to who's going to be the favorite for Oz because the following offseason is just too long to maintain momentum and form. In many ways over the years it's almost been a curse to finish the season strong.

In 2008 it was Djokovic who won the YEC and then he went down in Oz without a whimper. In 2009 Davydenko shined at the end only to fall apart in Melbourne. In 2010 Roger was on a tear, having played his strongest YEC ever, only to lose in the semis of Oz. In 2011 Roger was on a tear again, winning Paris and the YEC only to get dispatched by Nadal Down Under. Only Djokovic in 12-13 managed to win the YEC and the AO back-to-back but god knows how close it was against Wawrinka.

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Clay Death said:

I wouldn't that far lolz, thanks though, :D..Don't think the ghost of Dylan Thomas needs to start haunting me just yet because of literary jealousy..

i'm starting to get into this nadal as warrior thing..:idea:

go to our off topic section and check out the art gallery thread.

I am death master at TT. and I am clay death at my own forum. everybody here is welcome to my humble place. drop by anytime and say hello. I will post a link to it at the frontier bar chat.

at any rate I am enjoying your writing skills.

nadal`s all time favorite movie is "gladiator".

and I hear nole loves "300".

so these guys are the ultimate modern day warriors/gladiators. that is how they see themselves.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
shawnbm said:
It certainly will be the biggest match since Nadal was trying to complete the career grand slam in New York in 2010. Before that it was 2009 French with Fed trying to do the same. They both succeeded. Getting a two-times around career grand slam would be a feather in Nadal's cap that might be one of the most compelling arguments for him ever. Looking back, those victories over Roger in Paris in 2006-2007 (when Fed would have won back-to-back grand slams) might be the two biggest of Rafa's career, in retrospect.

I get your idea about those matches, but I wouldn't say they are the biggest for Nadal, just amongst the big ones in terms of blocking Roger's resume. For himself, personally, he always cites the 08 Wimbledon, and I'm pretty sure his '10 USO is up there. Should we get a Rafa-Nole final in Oz, it should be another barn-burner, I hope. Completing the double-box set would be something, but that's a ways away.

Didi said:
I understand your enthusiasm about Nadal folks but until proven otherwise Djokovic should be the consensus favorite for Melbourne and quite frankly I don't even see much room for discussion here. It's his slam to lose. I don't think the betting market should be an indicator here as someone suggested because the majority of people placing sums on any player are just the casual tennis fans betting for fun.

That's how bettings odds are created and we have seen how it turned out in Wimbledon and New York where Djokovic, respectively Murray were supposed to be the favorites. As things stand now, Djokovic is the favorite to win Melbourne. In 2012 Nadal proved that he can challenge him there and even have him on the brink of defeat but getting close is not getting the job done as we have seen with Nole in Paris this year.

With Murray just returning to the tour in January and huge question marks over Federer, Nole should be a lock for the finals. This time he likely won't be coming off an exhausting semifinal if he faces Nadal in the finals and will be desperate to win a big title for the first time in god knows how long.

I also don't think that the Indoor season will be an indicator either as to who's going to be the favorite for Oz because the following offseason is just too long to maintain momentum and form. In many ways over the years it's almost been a curse to finish the season strong.

In 2008 it was Djokovic who won the YEC and then he went down in Oz without a whimper. In 2009 Davydenko shined at the end only to fall apart in Melbourne. In 2010 Roger was on a tear, having played his strongest YEC ever, only to lose in the semis of Oz. In 2011 Roger was on a tear again, winning Paris and the YEC only to get dispatched by Nadal Down Under. Only Djokovic in 12-13 managed to win the YEC and the AO back-to-back but god knows how close it was against Wawrinka.

Didi, I agree that betting odds don't tell us much. And you make an interesting point about the late season not being a great predictor of Oz success...except, perhaps for Novak. When he has finished the year with big wins and confidence, he rolls at the AO. Nadal will be the 2nd favorite. I would favor Djokovic to make the final over Nadal. But if they meet, I think the odds get more even as to who comes through. Of course, it's early to say any of this, but they are the big rivalry, and so who can resist? :snigger

N

NADAL2005RG

Clay Death said:
nadal says he is still playing with pain but I think we already knew that. he is still crying about how too many tournaments are being played on the hard courts:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/tennis/top-stories/Miracle-recovery-Im-still-in-pain-says-Nadal/articleshow/23708962.cms

who the hell is stopping him from cutting back a little bit on the hard court activity to save the knee and to prolong his longevity on the tour?

Nadal is a warrior, not a wuss. If Nadal thought like you he'd hand Djokovic the year-end #1 :laydownlaughing

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
so what is the verdict here as to what happened at WTF?

was nole just too good or nadal just too bad?

and why exactly was nadal so bad if that is your conclusion?

is it the surface?

some say that he looked quite spent.

and by the way I am picking nadal for the Australian open title.

that starts in just 61 days.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nole, then Nadal, then ... Dimitrov! :)

ClayDeath

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
60 days to #14.

I am fired up.

click on this:

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?p0=152&iso=20140113T11