The BEATLES Appreciation Topic

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
60 years ago american President John F. Kennedy died. But also that very same date, the Beatles first ever news item was broadcasted in the U.S.A on the C.B.S morning hour. This is it here :

CBS News special report on The Beatles, broadcasted before the announcement of JFK's assassination later that morning. Footage from The Beatles concert in Bournemouth on November 16th is shown, as well as a backstage interview and their arrival that same day.

Next is "Who are the Beatles?" had been prepared for and scheduled for the evening news but was cancelled due to the tragic death of Kennedy. But there is an audio only file exists:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

These mostly-Beatles tracks isolation stuff are quite awesome.​

Deconstructing Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (Isolated Tracks)​

from the album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Stereo Mix 5.1

0:00 Drums + Maracas
3:38 Bass
7:09 Lead Guitars
10:47 Acoustic Guitar
14:24 Guitars
18:02 Lowrey Organ
21:40 Tambura + Acoustic Guitar + Piano + Maracas
25:18 Vocals

Personnel According to authors Kevin Ryan and Brian Kehew,[16] and John Winn:[53]

John Lennon – double-tracked lead vocals, maracas, guitar[54]
Paul McCartney – harmony vocals, Lowrey organ, bass
George Harrison – acoustic guitar, tambura, lead guitar
Ringo Starr – drums

Additional musician

George Martin – piano

• Love
Reactions: tented

tented

Administrator
Reactions

These mostly-Beatles tracks isolation stuff are quite awesome.​

Deconstructing Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds (Isolated Tracks)​

from the album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band Stereo Mix 5.1

0:00 Drums + Maracas
3:38 Bass
7:09 Lead Guitars
10:47 Acoustic Guitar
14:24 Guitars
18:02 Lowrey Organ
21:40 Tambura + Acoustic Guitar + Piano + Maracas
25:18 Vocals

Personnel According to authors Kevin Ryan and Brian Kehew,[16] and John Winn:[53]

John Lennon – double-tracked lead vocals, maracas, guitar[54]
Paul McCartney – harmony vocals, Lowrey organ, bass
George Harrison – acoustic guitar, tambura, lead guitar
Ringo Starr – drums

Additional musician

George Martin – piano

Interesting coincidence: the other day I listened to Elton John’s cover of this song which he recorded with Lennon.

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Interesting coincidence: the other day I listened to Elton John’s cover of this song which he recorded with Lennon.
likewise, I had been playing their three songs from November 28 1974 Madison Square Garden concert, on tuesday afternoon AU timezone!

I'll post this on another thread !

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
good research over on songfacts on Within You, Without You song that George Harrison wrote, in particular reference to the 30-minute version
:D

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/the-beatles/within-you-without-you

George Harrison wrote this song and was the only Beatle to perform on it. The song is about how the answers are inside us, so we have to look within to find them. We can go to the mountaintop searching to find our truths, but that won't do any good if we're not searching within.

It's also a reminder of our mortality and our place in the Universe, summarized in the last line: "Life flows on within you and without you."
An outlier on the Sgt. Pepper album, this song features Indian instruments played by Harrison and members of the Asian Music Circle, a collective in England that helped Harrison learn about Indian music. Harrison took an interest in Indian music when he was exposed to it on set in a restaurant scene from the 1965 Beatles move Help!. He bought a sitar that he played on the 1965 Rubber Soul track "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)," and then came under the tutelage of Ravi Shankar. Harrison used a sitar to write the 1966 Beatles song "Love You To," which was influenced by Indian music but also incorporated guitars and Western forms. "Within You Without You" was his first song to fully embrace Indian music and also to explore Eastern religion, which became a lifelong quest. Harrison believed in reincarnation, which helped him accept death in 2001 when he lost his life to cancer.
Harrison wrote this as a 30-minute piece that he trimmed down for the album. Speaking with Timothy White in 1992, he explained how he put the song together: "That was quite a complicated one at the time because it was done in three sections, and then I edited the three sections together. It had a solo instrumental in a 5/4 kind of tempo, which was very unusual. I suppose Dave Brubeck was the only person who ever played out of 4/4 or 3/4. See, this is the thing: In Western music, basically the tempo goes 4/4 or 3/4, and that's it. In Indian music they have 108 rhythm cycles, and they can even play in things like 7½. [Laughs.] It's quite complex, but I did learn this little piece, one of my exercises that I used to practice, that was in a 5/4 timing. So I did the solo in 'Within You Without You' into a 5/4, just to show how clever I was."
Harrison based this song on a piece by Ravi Shankar, who helped teach him the sitar. Harrison wrote his own lyrics and shortened it considerably.
The laughter at the end was Harrison's idea to lighten the mood and follow the theme of the album. Some people thought it indicated that the song was included on Sgt. Pepper as a joke.
This was the only song Harrison wrote that made it onto the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album. He also contributed "Only A Northern Song" (recorded in February of 1967 as verified by the Anthology 2 album), but it was left off the album at the last minute. It was initially intended to go on the first side of Sgt. Pepper between "She's Leaving Home" and "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite." >>
Harrison would sometimes quote this song when talking about friends who died, as he believed they were still with us, just not physically. On the TV show Aspel & Company in 1988, he said this about John Lennon:

"I think it's unfortunate the way he went out, but it doesn't really matter. He's okay, and life flows on within you and without you."

In 1989, he said this when speaking to MTV news about Roy Orbison, his bandmate in the Traveling Wilburys who had recently passed on:

"We love Roy, and we still do, and he's out there really, his spirit. Life flows on within you and without you, and he's around in his astral body."
In 2007, Oasis covered this for the BBC to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Other artists to cover the song include Sonic Youth and Patti Smith.
In the 2011 documentary The Material World, Sir George Martin says: "'Within You Without You' was not a commercial song by any means. But it was very interesting. [George Harrison] had a way of communicating music by the Indian system of kind of a separate language... the rhythms decided by the tabla player."

• Love

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wonderful work here by Beatles youtube, diehard fan, Cristofer...

Deconstructing And Your Bird Can Sing - The Beatles (Isolated Tracks)

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Beatles Christmas Collection...

The years 1963 - 1969. All seven of their seasons greetings especially made and distributed to their fan club each year during their existence.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
good research over on songfacts on Within You, Without You song that George Harrison wrote, in particular reference to the 30-minute version
:D

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/the-beatles/within-you-without-you

George Harrison wrote this song and was the only Beatle to perform on it. The song is about how the answers are inside us, so we have to look within to find them. We can go to the mountaintop searching to find our truths, but that won't do any good if we're not searching within.

It's also a reminder of our mortality and our place in the Universe, summarized in the last line: "Life flows on within you and without you."
An outlier on the Sgt. Pepper album, this song features Indian instruments played by Harrison and members of the Asian Music Circle, a collective in England that helped Harrison learn about Indian music. Harrison took an interest in Indian music when he was exposed to it on set in a restaurant scene from the 1965 Beatles move Help!. He bought a sitar that he played on the 1965 Rubber Soul track "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)," and then came under the tutelage of Ravi Shankar. Harrison used a sitar to write the 1966 Beatles song "Love You To," which was influenced by Indian music but also incorporated guitars and Western forms. "Within You Without You" was his first song to fully embrace Indian music and also to explore Eastern religion, which became a lifelong quest. Harrison believed in reincarnation, which helped him accept death in 2001 when he lost his life to cancer.
Harrison wrote this as a 30-minute piece that he trimmed down for the album. Speaking with Timothy White in 1992, he explained how he put the song together: "That was quite a complicated one at the time because it was done in three sections, and then I edited the three sections together. It had a solo instrumental in a 5/4 kind of tempo, which was very unusual. I suppose Dave Brubeck was the only person who ever played out of 4/4 or 3/4. See, this is the thing: In Western music, basically the tempo goes 4/4 or 3/4, and that's it. In Indian music they have 108 rhythm cycles, and they can even play in things like 7½. [Laughs.] It's quite complex, but I did learn this little piece, one of my exercises that I used to practice, that was in a 5/4 timing. So I did the solo in 'Within You Without You' into a 5/4, just to show how clever I was."
Harrison based this song on a piece by Ravi Shankar, who helped teach him the sitar. Harrison wrote his own lyrics and shortened it considerably.
The laughter at the end was Harrison's idea to lighten the mood and follow the theme of the album. Some people thought it indicated that the song was included on Sgt. Pepper as a joke.
This was the only song Harrison wrote that made it onto the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album. He also contributed "Only A Northern Song" (recorded in February of 1967 as verified by the Anthology 2 album), but it was left off the album at the last minute. It was initially intended to go on the first side of Sgt. Pepper between "She's Leaving Home" and "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite." >>
Harrison would sometimes quote this song when talking about friends who died, as he believed they were still with us, just not physically. On the TV show Aspel & Company in 1988, he said this about John Lennon:

"I think it's unfortunate the way he went out, but it doesn't really matter. He's okay, and life flows on within you and without you."

In 1989, he said this when speaking to MTV news about Roy Orbison, his bandmate in the Traveling Wilburys who had recently passed on:

"We love Roy, and we still do, and he's out there really, his spirit. Life flows on within you and without you, and he's around in his astral body."
In 2007, Oasis covered this for the BBC to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Other artists to cover the song include Sonic Youth and Patti Smith.
In the 2011 documentary The Material World, Sir George Martin says: "'Within You Without You' was not a commercial song by any means. But it was very interesting. [George Harrison] had a way of communicating music by the Indian system of kind of a separate language... the rhythms decided by the tabla player."

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Deconstructing The Beatles - Doctor Robert (Isolated Tracks)​

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
a look here at the legendary BBC's Playhouse Theatre (Home of The Beatles radio debut)...

BBC Radio Debut Tapes HD (1962)

The Beatles' radio debut, still with Pete Best on drums, recorded at the Playhouse Theatre in Hulme, Manchester from March 7-8, 1962 and broadcast on the BBC radio program 'Teenager's Turn - Here We Go' on March 8 and June 15, 1962.