Sloane Shrugs, Keys Almost Does It

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
Sloane Shrugs Off Loss

Sloane Stephens: Another shocking loss from Stephens, another thoroughly criticized effort from Stephens. Her 6-1, 6-0 loss to Wozniacki in the third round was the type of performance that makes you just want to rip out your hair. Then you realize it’s entirely possible you care more about the result than she does. Mary Carillo and Rennae Stubbs called out Stephens’ attitude and effort — the 21-year-old American didn’t hold serve once and won just five points in the second set — and Stephens shrugged it all off in her post-match press conference. Stephens was icing her stomach after every match in Indian Wells, so it’s possible she’s still struggling with an abdominal injury — she served at 71 percent but had no aces and won just 11 points on her serve — but she hasn’t mentioned it and Paul Annacone didn’t hint at any injury during his coaching timeouts.

http://tennis.si.com/2014/03/24/aces-and-faults-sony-open-nadal-sharapova-venus-williams/

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
Peter Bodo of Tennis.com on how Madison Keys came pretty close to upsetting Li Na at the Sony Open.

Thirty-two-year-old Li Na knows what it’s like to be 19-year-old Madison Keys, and she’d just as soon not have anything to do with it anymore. But today she was happy to revisit that age and the state of Keys’ development after a series of impressive escapes left the world No. 2 a 7-6 (3), 6-3 winner in their third-round match today.

“I think when I was same age like her – I think she’s much, much better than me,” Li said afterward.

“You know, Americans have a long history about tennis. So she was learn tennis in America, so they have high, how do you say, high goal(s)… They have so many tennis star in America. So they looking forward for No. 1 in the world.”

It’s a good point, this difference in the baseline of expectations, but it’s still also true that there’s a great difference between playing a good match and winning a good match. That’s the part that even the distinguished honor roll of American tennis champions cannot help a young player like Keys master.

Keys had two more break points in this match than did Li (12-10), but she converted one fewer (four to Li’s five). Ultimately that spelled the major difference.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
RJD11 said:
Sloane Shrugs Off Loss

Sloane Stephens: Another shocking loss from Stephens, another thoroughly criticized effort from Stephens. Her 6-1, 6-0 loss to Wozniacki in the third round was the type of performance that makes you just want to rip out your hair. Then you realize it’s entirely possible you care more about the result than she does. Mary Carillo and Rennae Stubbs called out Stephens’ attitude and effort — the 21-year-old American didn’t hold serve once and won just five points in the second set — and Stephens shrugged it all off in her post-match press conference. Stephens was icing her stomach after every match in Indian Wells, so it’s possible she’s still struggling with an abdominal injury — she served at 71 percent but had no aces and won just 11 points on her serve — but she hasn’t mentioned it and Paul Annacone didn’t hint at any injury during his coaching timeouts.

http://tennis.si.com/2014/03/24/aces-and-faults-sony-open-nadal-sharapova-venus-williams/
All I can say after watching Sloane's performance that Paul has his work cut out for him
Paul was on court after the 1st set and explained to Sloane what she needed to do.Sloane went back on court and did the opposite? I am at a loss for words quite frankly.Every player has their 'bad day at the office' this was more than a 'bad day at the office' in my mind.She was sluggish,her shot selections left me mystified.Her effort and attitude was nil.I also care about this result because Sloane is talented and I do not like to see,a player with Sloane's talent playing at such a poor level.

R

Rose

Unless she loses her bad attitude she will never live up to her talent level.

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
fashionista said:
RJD11 said:
Sloane Shrugs Off Loss

All I can say after watching Sloane's performance that Paul has his work cut out for him
Paul was on court after the 1st set and explained to Sloane what she needed to do.Sloane went back on court and did the opposite? I am at a loss for words quite frankly.Every player has their 'bad day at the office' this was more than a 'bad day at the office' in my mind.She was sluggish,her shot selections left me mystified.Her effort and attitude was nil.I also care about this result because Sloane is talented and I do not like to see,a player with Sloane's talent playing at such a poor level.

I agree Fashion: This is what she came back with:

Sloans Stephens described her 6-1, 6-0 loss to Caroline Wozniacki in Miami as "just a bad night," continuing her inconsistent results this season.

"It was really disappointing," Stephens told reporters after the loss. "I have been playing good, practicing good. Everything has been good. Just kind of a disappointing night for me. It just happened. I couldn't fight my way out of it."

Stephens, who has been bothered by a wrist injury and also criticized for some lackluster performances this season, added that she was just going to concentrate on her next event.

"Not really anything I'm going to cry too much over. I'm just going to get back to work," she said.

Woz Defended:

Stephens would not respond to her TV critics, but Wozniacki defended her opponent.

"I think we all have matches like this. I mean, last week I played [Jelena] Jankovic, and I just was out there and trying everything but nothing was going my way," said Wozniacki. "It's not a fun situation when you're on that side of the net. It's tennis. Sometimes it goes that way and you have to step up and keep going forward."

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/03/stephens-blames-bad-night-quick-loss-wozniacki/50993/#.UzID-c6a_IU

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
RJD11 said:
fashionista said:
RJD11 said:
Sloane Shrugs Off Loss

I agree Fashion: This is what she came back with:

Sloans Stephens described her 6-1, 6-0 loss to Caroline Wozniacki in Miami as "just a bad night," continuing her inconsistent results this season.

"It was really disappointing," Stephens told reporters after the loss. "I have been playing good, practicing good. Everything has been good. Just kind of a disappointing night for me. It just happened. I couldn't fight my way out of it."

Stephens, who has been bothered by a wrist injury and also criticized for some lackluster performances this season, added that she was just going to concentrate on her next event.

"Not really anything I'm going to cry too much over. I'm just going to get back to work," she said.

Woz Defended:

Stephens would not respond to her TV critics, but Wozniacki defended her opponent.

"I think we all have matches like this. I mean, last week I played [Jelena] Jankovic, and I just was out there and trying everything but nothing was going my way," said Wozniacki. "It's not a fun situation when you're on that side of the net. It's tennis. Sometimes it goes that way and you have to step up and keep going forward."

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/03/stephens-blames-bad-night-quick-loss-wozniacki/50993/#.UzID-c6a_IU
Well Sloane it was more than 'just a bad night'.You have had some lack lustre performances this year,still this one 'takes the cake'.It was your overall attitude on the court that made me mad.You didn't seem to care and didn't put up any fight at all. I would have accepted the defeat more if I saw you at least putting in some type of effort.I will be watching your next tournament with interest.

In regards to Caroline's response....I have seen Caroline being beaten....though she always fights to the end regardless of the scoreline.It's a pity Sloane dosen't take a leaf out of Caroline's attitude on court.

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
The Pova advises younsters about HYPE

Maria Sharapova knows a thing or two about the trappings of fame. Since winning Wimbledon as a 17-year-old in 2004, Sharapova has become a marketing juggernaut. She has been the highest paid female athlete every year since she won Wimbledon, according to Forbes. She’s a regular at New York Fashion Week and owns her own company, and her high-profile, high-end global brands brought her $23 million in endorsements last year.

But the four-time Grand Slam champion and former No. 1 says all the off-court perks are completely ancillary to her ambitions. She wants to be the best on the court, not necessarily off of it, and that means having to make sacrifices.

NGUYEN: Would Maria Sharapova rather be considered pretty or tough? More quotes from Sony Open

“I think as players we want to be known for our strength on the court, because at the beginning of our careers that’s what we started off as,” Sharapova told reporters at the Sony Open. “We didn’t start off with modeling agencies. We started off grinding on walls or in tough circumstances and tough situations where we had to grind out and become top professional players.

“We didn’t start in a promotional advertisement modeling world. That was never our job. There are a lot of people that can take care of those things. Our focus has always been the game and the opportunities that we are able to create with the game that we produce and the results that we produce.”

Now, a new generation of WTA youngsters with big games and glamorous marketing potential, like Eugenie Bouchard and Sloane Stephens, are starting to make waves; but times have changed, and Sharapova says their experiences of navigating the world of tennis and fame is different from when she was a teenager. She points to social media in particular as completely changing how young athletes see themselves. Social media can amplify the negativity, but it can also amplify the hype.

“You’re always around opinions,” Sharapova said. “No matter who you are, how great you are, there are always going to be those that don’t have nice things to say. And probably as a younger player, someone that’s just coming up, that’s always challenging to take in the beginning of your career.

“Now when you see that shift of teenagers doing extremely well, pushing at Grand Slams at an earlier age, the hype I think is a lot bigger than maybe many years ago because you don’t see that so often. And that adds another level of pressure. All of a sudden you’re photographed by Vogue or you’re talked about. It can become difficult.”

Stephens can relate. She described her 2013 breakout season as “tough,” and she echoed Sharapova when asked whether she had any advice to offer Bouchard on how to handle the escalating attention. Learn how to say no.

“Definitely when you have outside distractions it’s a little bit tough,” Stephens said in Indian Wells. “You want to do everything and say yes to everything. I’m sure she will find quickly that’s not the way to go.”

For Sharapova the tennis always came first and she credits her strong support team — her family, coaches and agent — for keeping her feet on the ground and always reminding her that the reason she picked up a racket in the first place was to play tennis.

“I learned a lot through that process, because it’s so easy to do well and think you’re on top of the world,” she said. “You get kicked in the bottom really fast once you believe that you’re on top of everything.”

http://tennis.si.com/2014/03/26/maria-sharapova-young-wta-stars-ignore-hype-sony-open/

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
Wertheim: Be patient with Sloane:

What are your thoughts on Sloane Stephens? I'm selling!
-- Lucy, Durham, N.C.

• Holding. It was all but predictable that Stephens was due for a rough patch after last year's surge, when she closed in on the top 10 by making the fourth round or better at all four Grand Slam tournaments, including the Australian Open semifinals and Wimbledon quarterfinals. Some of this owes simply to the circadian rhythms of being a pro. Some of this is regression to the mean. Some of this is the result of plying a teenager with attention and money.

Stephens has obviously come in for quite a beating lately. I'm at the Sony Open, and her shaky effort against Caroline Wozniacki was still the talk of the tournament a full 48 hours after Sunday's match.

It's hard spin a 6-1, 6-0 defeat -- which included 37 unforced errors in 82 points -- as anything other than an abject disaster. That the opponent was Wozniacki, a player with a dearth of weapons, only makes it more dubious, though this isn't the first time that Stephens has struggled against the former No. 1.

Stephens has some holes in her game -- both her tennis game and her mental game -- in need of spackling. For all her success, she has yet to win a title -- or even make a final -- which is like a hole in your jeans that only becomes more glaring and tougher to conceal with time. (See: Kournikova, Anna.) Questions about Stephens' attitude and motivation surfaced long before this event. Her point construction remains mystifying at times.

We're talking about one match, though. Name me a player and we can point to a dismal effort. Give Stephens some slack and some time, in equal measure. She's a top-20 player who turned 21 just last week. There will be nodes and crests, peaks and valleys, sharp wins and horrible defeats. All part of the process.

An image of Paul Annacone's talking to a despondent Sloane Stephens during a coaching timeout bubbled up in my Twitter timeline and something about the photo struck me. Stephens is not listening to Annacone at all. Is it just me, or is this the dynamic in nearly every on-court coaching timeout you've ever seen? I don't see what difference these sessions could possibly make. Moreover, I can't recall a single instance in which a coaching timeout significantly improved a player's level (I can, however, recall several recent incidents in which the player's level dropped after a timeout). And so I wonder if the most damning thing we can say about on-court coaching isn't the bad optics, but rather that it simply isn't efficacious.
-- John Dugan, Memphis, Tenn.

• This is the New Coke of tennis. You respect the innovation and the willingness to try something new. But at some point, you must have the humility to recognize that it's time to cut bait.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/20140326/sloane-stephens-mailbag/#ixzz2xHdjaA7z

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
Notice the scoreline is the same as in the Serena match

and she did comebacks like Serena.

Elina Svitolina surprises No. 5 seed Sloane Stephens in Charleston

CHARLESTON, S.C. — Elina Svitolina celebrated her first week as the highest-ranked WTA teenager by scoring a straight-set upset over No. 5-seed Sloane Stephens in the second round of the Family Circle Cup. Ranked No. 35 and gradually improving her ranking and game, Svitolina fended off two comeback attempts from the American, who was down 1-5 in the first set and an early break in the second, before finally closing it out to win 6-4, 6-4, earning her fourth top-20 win of the season.

The victory avenged Svitolina’s straight set loss to Stephens at the Australian Open and offered a comforting salve after two strong weeks in Indian Wells and Miami that ended with disappointing three-set losses to top players.

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
Quite a few people are weighing in on the state of Sloane Stephens. Lindsay Gibbs for The Changeover suggests that she doesn’t seem bothered when she loses.

I think she wants to win in the way I want to finish writing this article in the next 10 minutes. It’s my goal, but likely someone is going to stop and talk to me, or I’ll see an interesting article pop up on twitter, or I’ll need to eat a second dinner, and it just won’t happen. And truthfully I won’t really be that bothered, the same way Sloane didn’t seem that bothered today.

Sloane says she wants to win – we all do – but she sure doesn’t seem to care if she loses. That’s an important distinction.