Should 2024 Wimbledon be moved to after the Paris Olympics?

Should 2024 Wimbledon be moved to August (after the Paris Olympics)?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
In 2024, the French Open will be held from May 26-June 9 and the Paris Olympics from July 27-August 4. Both tournaments will be held on the clay. Should Wimbledon in 2024 be moved away from its normal spot (July 1-14) to some time in August (after the Paris Olympics) to avoid going from clay to grass then back to clay (then hard court)?

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't see how it works with the calendar. August is full of HC tournaments, and you have to have the grass tournament tune-ups before Wimbledon. There ARE clay tournaments after Wimbledon on the calendar...it's just that most of the top players don't play them. I'm afraid that the players who want to play in the Olympics are just going to have to decide which to play, or suck it up.

Reactions: Kieran

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
I don't see how it works with the calendar. August is full of HC tournaments, and you have to have the grass tournament tune-ups before Wimbledon. There ARE clay tournaments after Wimbledon on the calendar...it's just that most of the top players don't play them. I'm afraid that the players who want to play in the Olympics are just going to have to decide which to play, or suck it up.
Those clay tournaments (Hamburg, Palermo, and Poland) are 250's. They could be held in between the FO and the Olympics. The top players likely won't play those 250 clay tournaments following a slam, so it would be a welcome midseason break for them. Then, the grass tournament tune-ups can be done on August 5-18. Wimbledon will follow on August 19-September 1. Then, the US Open series HC tournaments the rest of September and the first week of October. The US Open will follow from October 7-20. Then, the WTA Finals.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Those clay tournaments (Hamburg, Palermo, and Poland) are 250's. They could be held in between the FO and the Olympics. The top players likely won't play those 250 clay tournaments following a slam, so it would be a welcome midseason break for them. Then, the grass tournament tune-ups can be done on August 5-18. Wimbledon will follow on August 19-September 1. Then, the US Open series HC tournaments the rest of September and the first week of October. The US Open will follow from October 7-20. Then, the WTA Finals.
It's a perfectly reasonable idea, but you never see the calendar getting jiggered that much. You even have the US Open when there's a 3-day holiday in the middle, to substitute for Labor Day. I still don't see it happening.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I don’t think a slam should make way for the Olympics. The Olympics isn’t that important for tennis. The slams are the biggest events we have…

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The problem is the Majors are independent from the ATP and WTA tours and the Olympics itself. Nobody can dictate to them, look how during COVID the French Open unilaterally moved to late Sept/October 2020 simply because it wanted to, even though it raised havoc with the rest of the ATP tour.

Reactions: tented and Kieran