Richard Williams' book

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
NY Times has a story about Richard and his book today. Very interesting article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/06/sports/tennis/a-famous-tennis-dad-writes-but-not-about-tennis.html?_r=0

I'm torn over buying a copy. I think he is an interesting man, and he raised (and coached) two of the greatest players our sport has ever seen. At the same time, I have serious problems with him over a number of things over the years.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
For a guy who never played tennis at advanced level to orchestrate the careers of two of the top women players probably that the game has seen in the past 30 years.. Oh yeah .. I will take a glance. Richard may rub some folks the wrong way but he is nobody's fool.. sometimes when a person speaks the unpolictal Truth. he is perceived to be malcontent when he is really a genius in disguise. On a personal level, a lot of my fella tennis club members and I have sat down and spoke with Richard over ten years at the Sony Open when it was then sponsered by Lipton. He may say a few things that may be bizzare but there is a method to Richard's madness.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I watched an interview by Richard on CNN about the book.

In that he said, he made up his mind (on coaching his daughters to be great tennis champions)
when he saw on TV a WTA player Virgiina (forgot her last name) receiving a big check after
winning a tournament.

The funny thing is that he said at that moment he knew nothing about tennis and
also that the daughters were not born yet.

That is one hell of a preconceived determination which he made into reality.
That is amazing.

Moose

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
In that he said, he made up his mind (on coaching his daughters to be great tennis champions)
when he saw on TV a WTA player Virgiina (forgot her last name) receiving a big check after
winning a tournament.

Virginia Ruzici, GSM. He saw her win a tourney in Salt Lake City. FYI, she also won the French in 1978.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
tented Pro Tennis (Womens) 0