Mary Mary quite Contrary

RJD11

Major Winner
Reactions
Good News or bad?

Tennis Channel Extends Carillo's Contract through 2016

Veteran Analyst Will Expand Her Role At Network, Including Coverage from Upcoming Sony Open

By: Mike Reynolds Feb 27 2014 - 12:06am

Tennis Channel has signed Mary Carillo to a three-year contract extension that will expand her role with the network and keep the versatile journalist on its air through 2016.

In addition to her current French Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open assignments, the Emmy Award-winning sportscaster will cover March’s Sony Open Tennis tournament in Miami – one of the sport’s six largest events – and numerous other competitions throughout the year from Los Angeles as part of Tennis Channel’s in-studio team.

Carillo, fresh off her duties for NBC Sports Group at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, joined Tennis Channel in 2011, when she hosted the network’s live tournament desks at the French Open in Paris and U.S. Open in New York. In 2012 she added Wimbledon to the list and appeared in numerous segments on the network’s Wimbledon Primetime set on the tournament grounds in London. She was part of Tennis Channel’s on-air team at all three events again in 2013. Carillo made select on-air appearances during Tennis Channel’s 2012 coverage of Miami’s Sony Open Tennis tournament, an event she will add to her annual duties starting next month.

“It’s been a privilege to work with Mary at the most prestigious events in our sport, and we’re excited that Tennis Channel viewers will get to see even more of her in the years ahead,” said Bob Whyley, senior vice president of production and executive producer, Tennis Channel, in announcing Carillo’s new contract. “Her humor, tennis expertise and innate sense of story have been invaluable additions to our on-air coverage.”

“This is a fascinating time to cover tennis and I’ve had a lot of fun as part of the Tennis Channel team,” said Carillo. “With everything that’s going on in the sport right now I’m happy to be there with the network as it all unfolds.”

http://www.tennisfrontier.com/forum/newthread.php?fid=6

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I have a love/hate relationship with Carillo, but more love than hate. I'd rather listen to her than Justin Gimelstob or Jimmy Arias. She's certainly a marquee name for the Tennis Channel.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I know I'm in the minority, but I love Mary Carillo. I think she's funny, I think she's an intelligent journalist, and she has a warm alto voice. Let's not forget she was also a very good tennis player.

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
she has been around since before the beginning of time,

I was recently watching on youtube lendl v McEnroe 1987 USO QF..and she was commentating on that.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Cant HBO send her to the Indian Ocean to help search for that missing plane or go to Malaysia to talk to some of their realitives.. Mary is useless.. She isnt funny or provide any insight.. Nothing about strokes or tactics .. So what Johnny Mac carried her to a title at the FO over 30 years ago.. Mac could have carried my Grandmother to a title back then and she is old.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Cant HBO send her to the Indian Ocean to help search for that missing plane or go to Malaysia to talk to some of their realitives.. Mary is useless.. She isnt funny or provide any insight.. Nothing about strokes or tactics .. So what Johnny Mac carried her to a title at the FO over 30 years ago.. Mac could have carried my Grandmother to a title back then and she is old.

What don't you, (or everyone else, for that matter,) like about Mary Carillo? Certainly you can't prefer Mary Jo Fernandez, who has no more tennis pedigree, though she's a far more banal commentator, and seems mostly to have a job because her husband is in business with Federer. (Or, perhaps, is that why she shouldn't have a job as a tennis commentator?) You can't prefer Justin Gimelstob, he of the nasally voice and too much talking? Or Chris Fowler, who doesn't even know that much about tennis, and is just a warm baritone well-equipped with sports cliches? Or even Lindsay Davenport, who, while knowledgable and sweet, is a bit of a dishrag.

Give me Mary Carillo any day. She's funny, smart and a decent journalist.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
the AntiPusher said:

What don't you, (or everyone else, for that matter,) like about Mary Carillo? Certainly you can't prefer Mary Jo Fernandez, who has no more tennis pedigree, though she's a far more banal commentator, and seems mostly to have a job because her husband is in business with Federer. (Or, perhaps, is that why she shouldn't have a job as a tennis commentator?) You can't prefer Justin Gimelstob, he of the nasally voice and too much talking? Or Chris Fowler, who doesn't even know that much about tennis, and is just a warm baritone well-equipped with sports cliches? Or even Lindsay Davenport, who, while knowledgable and sweet, is a bit of a dishrag.

Give me Mary Carillo any day. She's funny, smart and a decent journalist.

All due respect( I seriously mean Respect), I gain far more insight from the BS, Tented, yourself and others on the board than Mary. I dont feel that she is sincere and she does a better job on HBO real sports. As for Mary No(Jo), I could do without her.. I always felt she was a big phoney.. give me Pam or Linsdey any day.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ Fair enough, A-P. A lot of these people are partly a matter of taste. I just don't see why Mary gets the bulk of everyone's derision, when there are others who are certainly no better, and for my money, more annoying.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think my problem with her is she likes to talk during points sometimes, and she is more prone to injecting gossip into her commentating which I hate. She also likes to beat a dead horse for months even years. I wanted to punch her in her face for a while there because she wouldn't shut up about Serena and her 2009 US Open fiasco. She made it known practically every tournament that year that Serena didn't face a stiff enough penalty. I was like shut up girl it is done and over. I learn more from Martina, Chris, Johnny Mac and Lindsay than I would say I have learned from Mary C. I like Corina as well.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I think my problem with her is she likes to talk during points sometimes, and she is more prone to injecting gossip into her commentating which I hate. She also likes to beat a dead horse for months even years. I wanted to punch her in her face for a while there because she wouldn't shut up about Serena and her 2009 US Open fiasco. She made it known practically every tournament that year that Serena didn't face a stiff enough penalty. I was like shut up girl it is done and over. I learn more from Martina, Chris, Johnny Mac and Lindsay than I would say I have learned from Mary C. I like Corina as well.

So I'm not alone, I see. She does talk way too much during points, including important ones, which at times gives the impression she's not even paying attention. Gossip is also a key feature, as well as not letting things go.

Occasionally, when she's in the middle of gossiping or reiterating for the 100th time something like her displeasure over the Serena USO disaster, she'll suddenly stop -- mid-sentence, even -- and go quiet for a bit. You can sense the producer talking into her ear, telling her to move on.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Talking during the points... :nono

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
Talking during the points... :nono

If that bothers you, you would go insane watching tennis on TV in the US. The commentators think their job is to talk without cessation.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I did like her a bit in the 90's when she called the USO w/ Trabbert and company. But she became real gossipy in the early 2000s. I remember her and Martina calling Wimby on TNT for a few years and Martina would do all the tennis talk and Mary would talk about tennis dresses, hairstyles and the like.

I completely agree that it's alot worse now as she can't seem to shut her face. Talks endlessly about nothing in particular most times.

I like Stubbs, Corina, Lindsey, Virginia, Mac, the A-Team (Koenig/Goodall/Lester), Cahill and Connors when he did the USO. The rest I could live w/o.

R

Rose

the AntiPusher said:

I love this :lolz: :laydownlaughing :snigger

I think I've made my feeling clear on this matter! Actually I think tennis could use less commentating by everyone let the players' play and don't talk over the playing!

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
She does waffle on and on though, all that hot air she emits might be melting the polar ice cap.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
britbox Pro Tennis (Womens) 5