Martina Navratilova v Chris Evert Full Match | Australian Open 1981 Final

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Still hurts to see Chrissie lost this match.
It’s amazing how vivid these old matches are, isn’t it? I watched Borg v Mac USO 1980 the other day, Bjorn had chances in that fifth set to break for 3-1 and he kinda bunched it. Still rattled me…

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
That is the way I felt after Connors lost to Borg in the 1981 semifinal at SW19 after being up two sets to love! He lost 6-4 in the fifth set. Pained me then and still is hard to watch. But I always admired the Angelic Assassin and never felt anything but great respect for the Swede. Jimmy was my first tennis guy though, as was Chrissie (who was born and raised in my hometown where I was born and raised--and still live!)

tented

Administrator
Reactions
That is the way I felt after Connors lost to Borg in the 1981 semifinal at SW19 after being up two sets to love! He lost 6-4 in the fifth set. Pained me then and still is hard to watch. But I always admired the Angelic Assassin and never felt anything but great respect for the Swede. Jimmy was my first tennis guy though, as was Chrissie (who was born and raised in my hometown where I was born and raised--and still live!)
Ft. Lauderdale? Beautiful city.

IMG_4801.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: shawnbm

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I remember that match like it was yesterday. I believe that Bjorn was twice up 0-40 on Jimmy’s serve and Jimbo fist pumped his way out of trouble. Then! He got break point on Borg’s serve - twice - in the next game, and Bjorn saved them with swaggering aces. He won the match with an easy backhand volley on match point.

I think!

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

I had this match on VHS tape for years! Proably recorded off the classic channel of ESPN! It was amazing how it was Martina & Chris week in and week out for years w/ a little sprinkling of Tracey Austin, Hana Mandlikova, & Andrea jaeger! I can still go back to watch matches from that era and be very entertained! :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Reactions: Kieran and shawnbm

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I had this match on VHS tape for years! Proably recorded off the classic channel of ESPN! It was amazing how it was Martina & Chris week in and week out for years w/ a little sprinkling of Tracey Austin, Hana Mandlikova, & Andrea jaeger! I can still go back to watch matches from that era and be very entertained! :fearful-face: :yawningface: :face-with-head-bandage: :face-with-hand-over-mouth:
Oh yeah, that was peak women's tennis, even though it was ye olde wooden racquet days. This is one of the reasons why a lot of us think Martina is the best we've ever seen - she always had strong co-goats as rivals. There are other reasons too, but she was a tremendous original in tennis, with her aggressive game and fitness/strength regime. Watching some of this match just now, I'm amazed and delighted at how informal the setting is. There's a fricking car parked behind the court! No fussing about. No superstar distance between the players and the fans. Just the business of tennis going on, between two legends.

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Oh yeah, that was peak women's tennis, even though it was ye olde wooden racquet days. This is one of the reasons why a lot of us think Martina is the best we've ever seen - she always had strong co-goats as rivals. There are other reasons too, but she was a tremendous original in tennis, with her aggressive game and fitness/strength regime. Watching some of this match just now, I'm amazed and delighted at how informal the setting is. There's a fricking car parked behind the court! No fussing about. No superstar distance between the players and the fans. Just the business of tennis going on, between two legends.
Definitely a true statement. Most people have the Top 4 as Navratilova, Graf, Evert, and Serena Williams. Navratilova's Top 2 rivalries were against Graf and Evert. Also, Navratilova's longevity is unparalleled. Navratilova played with Margaret Court and Billie Jean King (born in the early-to-mid 1940s) and Jennifer Capriati/Lindsay Davenport (born in the mid-1970s). That would be like playing with Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi, and also with Carlos Alcaraz/Holger Rune.

Reactions: Fiero425 and Kieran