Japan's Two Billion Dollar Olympic Stadium

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
This thing has been all over the news in Japan the last few days and opposition to it is steadily rising and gaining steam. The cost of this thing just blows the mind. China's Olympic stadium in 2008 cost $570 million, London's cost $700 million and now Japan's is going to cost over $2 billion. Unbelievable. The architects apparently first decided on this thing and one of them said in an interview that they said the cost would be "taken care of somehow". This is going to end up costing some politicians, maybe even PM ABE his power.

Zaha Hadid's Tokyo Olympic stadium slammed as a 'monumental mistake' and a 'disgrace to future generations'

Tokyo 2020 Olympic Stadium to Cost Over $2 Billion

20150105-STADIUMS-slide-B5H2-jumbo.jpg

It ticks me off that there are still people affected by the Tohoku Earthquake-Tsunamis who are waiting for housing assistance while the country runs off and does this. I pay taxes out the wazoo and hate to think some of that money could go towards this monstrosity.

[video=vimeo]https://vimeo.com/64632869[/video]

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
It looks stunning. Sort of like a giant insect. Sounds like the yakuza are getting their cut! I agree such expenses given Japan's fiscal problems are beyond insane :cover

Btw.. I though taxes in Japan were relatively low in the context of developed countries?

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I wouldn't have such a problem with these expensive constructions, if they were heavily utilized for years, if not decades, beyond the Olympics, but that never seems to be the case. Host cities spend insane amounts of money on various structures, use them for a few weeks, then ... ?

The IOC should consider having a few host cities (two or three, perhaps), rotate between them, and quit wasting so much money around the world.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
federberg said:
It looks stunning. Sort of like a giant insect. Sounds like the yakuza are getting their cut! I agree such expenses given Japan's fiscal problems are beyond insane :cover

Btw.. I though taxes in Japan were relatively low in the context of developed countries?

Taxes have gone up in recent years and are expected to go up again, thanks to "Abenomics", PM Abe's tax plan. House tax, Car tax, city tax, income tax, etc, etc, it all adds up. But this stadium is a huge male ego-boosting flex show from a country that doesn't need to be doing it right now.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tented said:
I wouldn't have such a problem with these expensive constructions, if they were heavily utilized for years, if not decades, beyond the Olympics, but that never seems to be the case. Host cities spend insane amounts of money on various structures, use them for a few weeks, then ... ?

The IOC should consider having a few host cities (two or three, perhaps), rotate between them, and quit wasting so much money around the world.

Exactly, tented. If everyone knew how much it will cost to keep the place running and how much it will continue to suck money out of the system, they would be picketing the Diet Building in Tokyo as we speak. Almost every country has come into economic turmoil after hosting these "wonderful" Olympics. The IOC needs to a new, broader, smarter vision than the narrow-sighted one they have now.