Fed's Slam Window Shut

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
An excerpt from Fed's interview after his SF loss.

Q. This is the first time in a long time without either you, Nadal, or Djokovic playing final. Does that mean something or...

ROGER FEDERER: You create your stories. You said the same in Australia, everybody; and then we know what happened at the French Open final, Wimbledon final. But this is another chance for you guys, you know. So you should write what you want. I don't think so, but...

You can see from his irritation and testy answer that Roger still burns to win, not just make the semifinals of a slam. He has a champion's fight still. He also is still quite confident that it is usually to be between him, Rafa and Nole. I think he is still correct going forward into next year.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Fed won 2010 AO and then there was a gap of nine slams before he won the next one at
2012 Wimby. Now, with 2014 USO, he has not won a slam in the last 9 attempts and this
is equal in length to the previous gap. If Fed, does not win at AO (it is highly likely that
he won't win AO, even though AO is his most consistent slam in terms of going deep),
the current gap would be larger than the previous gap.

Of course, it is natural that as players age the gap between successive slams will
keep increasing.

Anyway, the point that I am trying to make is that if at all Fed wins one more slam,
that will be his last slam.

N

NADAL2005RG

shawnbm said:
GameSetAndMath said:
An excerpt from Fed's interview after his SF loss.

Q. This is the first time in a long time without either you, Nadal, or Djokovic playing final. Does that mean something or...

ROGER FEDERER: You create your stories. You said the same in Australia, everybody; and then we know what happened at the French Open final, Wimbledon final. But this is another chance for you guys, you know. So you should write what you want. I don't think so, but...

You can see from his irritation and testy answer that Roger still burns to win, not just make the semifinals of a slam. He has a champion's fight still. He also is still quite confident that it is usually to be between him, Rafa and Nole. I think he is still correct going forward into next year.

I'm not usually a fan of Federer's speaking, but that interview was some sweet action :lolz:

I wouldn't be surprised if Nishikori gets in the way next year, especially at Roland Garros because those points are decided from the baseline more.

The jury is still out on Cilic :s

Wawrinka seems to be far better in Australian than the other slams (2013 and 2014).