Federberg Backhand: Choose

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
The ESPN team has been debating all summer about who had the "better" backhand, Stefan or Roger.

Having seen both play in person many times, I have to choose Federer's. By a wide margin.

Stefan's was beautiful looking, but I think Rogah's is more penetrating, weighty, and it is more versatile.

What says you? :cool:

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
Edberg's was a beauty but I would give the edge to Roger because of power and versatility. But I give the edge to Edberg at the net using the volley on the backhand side.

agree...actually, I put Edberg as one of the 5 greatest volleyers of the modern era, with Cash, Rafter, Sampras, and McEnroe.

Of all time I add Laver, Roche, Nastase, Ashe, Hoad, and maybe Necombe.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
King Edberg for me (and Rosewall of course)

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Edberg for me. One of the greatest single handed backhands in the business and definitely one of the most versatile. What splits them for me is Stefan's DTL drive, his DTL approach shots and his backhand volley (the sweetest of them all).

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
haha! for a second I thought this thread was about me!

In terms of backhand, I think it's a no brainer. Edbergs was better by a mile. I don't think Roger would dispute that. Edbergs backhand was his better side. He had core confidence in that shot. His forehand was almost an embarrassment to be honest. Roger can do a lot with his backhand I grant you, but when it comes to believing in the mechanics of a shot, Edbergs is by far superior. I don't believe it was attackable. I would bet that if Edberg was playing Rafa, Rafa would be attacking the forehand. I mean... why wouldn't you. Edberg could do almost nothing with that shot.

As for volleying.. for me... McEnroe, Edberg were better than the rest. But Cash and Rafter not far behind. Controversial opinion maybe, but Sampras was a slightly different type of animal when volleying. He was exceptional of course, but it wasn't a core part of his game in the way it was for particularly Edberg and possibly Rafter. Put it this way.. if his serve wasn't as effective would he have been as dominant as Stefan was at the net, personally I doubt it

Luxilon Borg

Major Winner
Reactions
federberg said:

In terms of backhand, I think it's a no brainer. Edbergs was better by a mile. I don't think Roger would dispute that. Edbergs backhand was his better side. He had core confidence in that shot. His forehand was almost an embarrassment to be honest. Roger can do a lot with his backhand I grant you, but when it comes to believing in the mechanics of a shot, Edbergs is by far superior. I don't believe it was attackable. I would bet that if Edberg was playing Rafa, Rafa would be attacking the forehand. I mean... why wouldn't you. Edberg could do almost nothing with that shot.

As for volleying.. for me... McEnroe, Edberg were better than the rest. But Cash and Rafter not far behind. Controversial opinion maybe, but Sampras was a slightly different type of animal when volleying. He was exceptional of course, but it wasn't a core part of his game in the way it was for particularly Edberg and possibly Rafter. Put it this way.. if his serve wasn't as effective would he have been as dominant as Stefan was at the net, personally I doubt it

Good points, but I would still take Feds. He can hit it with extreme topspin, slice, or drive it flat.

Eddys was not as powerful or versatile IMO.

His forehand was deplorable. Probably the worst of any no.1 player. But he could manage it and use his athleticism, serve, and approach shots to win.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Luxilon Borg said:
federberg said:

Good points, but I would still take Feds. He can hit it with extreme topspin, slice, or drive it flat.

Eddys was not as powerful or versatile IMO.

His forehand was deplorable. Probably the worst of any no.1 player. But he could manage it and use his athleticism, serve, and approach shots to win.

Edberg could do all those things. I suspect it's familiarity that's leading you to that conclusion. I guarantee you Federer himself would tell you that Edberg has the better backhand.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think Roger's backhand (at least in his peak, when it's on, and when he's not playing Nadal) is more suited for today's game. However, as an absolute, I'd take Edberg's.