Excuse making

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
Gosh I have to admit I often make excuses, I don't know I guess it helps me deal with tough situations better. At the end of the day I know losses are normal and technically there should be no excuses, but I am never totally unbiased and I am perfectly fine in admitting it.

Therefore I can't blame anybody else for making excuses for their players as well.;)

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
britbox said:
^ Federer only lost the Wimbledon final to Djokovic because he's old.

See that is not a bad excuse:clap

You probably remember all my excuses when Nole lost, there were too many to count.:D

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Simon is not having "off days" as much as he's not as good a player, which I'm sure you agree with, too. The OP is about more nuance than I think you're willing to give it. Nobody said Grigor was some chump who upset Murray out of the blue. Fastgrass started crowing that Dimitrov exposed Murray for something like the overrated fraud that fastgrass believes him to be, and folks countered that argument. Likewise, I'm sure I didn't say that Federer wasn't tired in that Olympic final match, because I know he was. The point is, it's not the sole contributing factor to why he lost, and when someone like fastgrass tries to put it like that, then some will counter that argument. How much you or I weigh the effect of fatigue and age on Federer compared with how well Murray played is the place for debate.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Even in a completely regular match, where there are no "contributing factors"
involved (both players are healthy, fit, in form, not tired, perfect conditions etc)
the winner wins due to a combination of he playing good and his opponent
playing poorly. It is difficult to do any quantification like 25% of the reason
is due to his play and 75% reason is due to his opponent playing poorly
(except perhaps in matches where there are disproportionately large number
of UFE by one player).

The fact is that the two players are not playing in isolation independent
of each other. If the opponent is playing poorly, it is because the winner
is making him do so (remember, we are talking about a match with
no contributing factors such as tiredness etc). If the loser did not
bring his A game, that may be because the winner did not allow him
to play his A game.

So, while It makes sense to grudgingly accept "extenuating circumstances"
or "contributing factors" that affect a player's performance as an explanation
of his loss in a positive light, I can never accept the reason "he did not bring
his A game that day" as an explanation of a player's loss in a positive light.

This has nothing to do with the player involved. For example, why did
Fed loss to Robredo in USO last year. Because, he played poorly. I don't
see any "contributing factors" here. This is not just one example. I can
say the same thing about Fed's loss to Kei and also to his loss against
Wawrinka in Monte Carlo.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
Simon is not having "off days" as much as he's not as good a player, which I'm sure you agree with, too. The OP is about more nuance than I think you're willing to give it. Nobody said Grigor was some chump who upset Murray out of the blue. Fastgrass started crowing that Dimitrov exposed Murray for something like the overrated fraud that fastgrass believes him to be, and folks countered that argument. Likewise, I'm sure I didn't say that Federer wasn't tired in that Olympic final match, because I know he was. The point is, it's not the sole contributing factor to why he lost, and when someone like fastgrass tries to put it like that, then some will counter that argument. How much you or I weigh the effect of fatigue and age on Federer compared with how well Murray played is the place for debate.

I don't think anybody claims Murray is a fraud. At least, I certainly don't. However,
I don't see any "extenuating circumstances" in that match. The mere fact that Andy played
poorly in itself cannot be a "extenuating circumstances"; if there is an "external reason"
(there may be, at least we don't know of anything yet) which caused the "poor play", that
can become an "extenuating cirucumstance" depending on the external reason (it cannot
be something trivial such as somebody put more sugar in his coffee that morning
and so he was upset and could not focus on the game).

The main point that you are missing here is that "he played poorly" does not
put any positive spin on the loss. Of course, people lose when they play poorly.
What else do you expect? How is that an "extenuating circumstance"?
Seriously, look yourself in the mirror and utter the sentence "Murray would
have played well in that match if only he did not play poorly". How do
you think you sound?

In contrast, try saying "Rafa would have played well in AO final if only
he did not injure his back" or "Fed would have played well in Olympics final
if only he had more time to recover". Do they sound somewhat reasonable
despite being debatable?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
I'll never understand why someone just can't say they were beat and leave it at that? They almost never do; women being even worse in that respect! I can still see and hear The Williams' say something like, "she didn't beat me, I beat myself!" :violins:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena's got a lot better in recent years and praising her opponents but she has been a sore loser in the past alright.