David Bowie's 'Space Oddity' 50 years on

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
David Bowie released his first hit “Space Oddity” as a single on July 11, 1969. Now, commemorating the 50th anniversary of the song, Parlophone will release a special double 7" single of of the track, featuring brand new mixes from legendary producer and long-time Bowie collaborator Tony Visconti. It is available on July 12.

The single, which was cut from the original analog master tape, features “Space Oddity” on Side A, and “Wild Eyed Boy From Freecloud” on Side B. The second disk contains Visconti’s mixes of both songs. Both disks will come in a boxed set, which includes a double-sided poster featuring an original “Space Oddity” print advertisement and a photo of Bowie shot by Ray Stevenson. The package will also contain an information card and print featuring an image of Bowie taken by Jojanneke Claassen.

“Space Oddity” is the title track of David Bowie’s second album. It was inspired by Stanley Kubrick’s groundbreaking sci-fi film 2001: A Space Odyssey, and was eventually adopted as the unofficial theme of the Apollo 11 moon landing mission that launched five days after the single’s release.

Parlophone recenly announced THE ‘MERCURY’ DEMOS, a collection of 10 one-take recordings that Bowie made with John “Hutch” Hutchinson on guitars and vocals.

https://pitchfork.com/news/david-bowies ... y-reissue/

and here is the new mix-

Reactions: tented and britbox

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
original promo , very different to the more well known version -

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes he was. That above video was a revelation as here in australia, the regular space oddity video that gets shown (ie rage and MTV ) and has done for as long as i can recall , is this:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
An odd, but done with integrity, video this next one.

Space Oddity 1979.

Basically, 10 years following the first one, David recorded a different version. This was filmed for and featured on Dick Clark's End of the 70's american TV program...only... David was asked to mime along to his original 1969 record !!! God only knows why.

Now then the utube uploader has very wisely replaced the 1969 audio with the then new version, which is very challenging thing to do , I know from my own experience, hehe.

I think it's come up good and it stays in synch throughout.

What do others think ?

Last edited: