Connors / McEnroe - The Rivalry that Revolutionized Tennis

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Over all, a very well-made documentary but it omits a few, key epic matches such as U S Open 1984 semi , Wimbledon 1982 and 1984 finals (maybe due to not getting copyrights), also features Illie NASTASE and Pat CASH.

UPDATE...

USTA has put up their own Connors vs. McEnroe package -

Last edited:

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Isn't it fascinating that they've dominated the U.S. Open in the years 1974 - 1985, but all four meetings were only semi-final match-ups, not once a final?

Good compilation here...

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Jimmy Connors vs John McEnroe - Wimbledon Final 1982 - Fifth Set​

Reactions: Fiero425

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com

Jimmy Connors vs John McEnroe - Wimbledon Final 1982 - Fifth Set​

I'm still sorta shocked by this result! Connors was so "past it!" Like McEnroe, he had lost his greatest rival a few months before; BORG retiring! I thought it amazing Connors even got to the final, much less to upset John! McEnroe looked either bored, unconcerned, &'s probably still shaking his head over this one! IIRC, the main difference was the serve! All of a sudden, Jimmy was pumping in some that weren't returnable! It was the last time it stood out even w/ his late wins over John here and Lendl at the '83 USO or the following season at both Wimbledon & the USO! I can still recall a Wimbledon final in '77 where Borg returned all but 2 of Connors' serves in their 5 set match! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:

Reactions: Vince Evert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm still sorta shocked by this result! Connors was so "past it!" Like McEnroe, he had lost his greatest rival a few months before; BORG retiring! I thought it amazing Connors even got to the final, much less to upset John! McEnroe looked either bored, unconcerned, &'s probably still shaking his head over this one! IIRC, the main difference was the serve! All of a sudden, Jimmy was pumping in some that weren't returnable! It was the last time it stood out even w/ his late wins over John here and Lendl at the '83 USO or the following season at both Wimbledon & the USO! I can still recall a Wimbledon final in '77 where Borg returned all but 2 of Connors' serves in their 5 set match! :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :astonished-face: :fearful-face: :yawningface:

Thanks, i thought back then Jimmy was going to Wimbledon as he had won in Queens final (I posted the videos of '82 and '83 finals earlier this week!) in straight sets against McEnroe - 7-5,6-3. And there was Borg's sabbatical almost the entire year.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
also there are extended highlights from Wimbledon's official channel -