Competitive Longevity: A measure of longevity

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
I have designed a few very simple concepts to determine the actual or competitive longevity for a player. I don't know if anyone ever came up with this, someone possibly did. I only mean to initiate discussions on players on the basis of these concepts.

Concepts:

1. Competitive longevity
2. Specific competitive longevity

1. Competitive longevity (CL)

I would define competitive longevity as the span of time for which a player remains competitive enough to win slams.

Competitive longevity = Span of time between first and last slams

E.g.: Federer = 13.5 years (as of now)
Sampras = 12 years
Agassi = 10.5 years
Nadal = 9 years (as of now)
Djokovic = 8.5 years (roughly, as of now)

2. Specific competitive longevity (SCL)

Specific competitive longevity would be the span of time for which a player remains competitive to win a particular slam. It will help to know the span of time for which a player remained good enough to win a slam.

Specific Competitive longevity = Span of time between first and last victories at a particular slam

E.g.: Federer's AO SCL = 13 years (as of now, biggest of all SCL of Roger's career, inspiration for this thread)
Nadal's FO SCL = 9 years (as of now)
Djokovic's AO SCL = 8 years (as of now)
Sampras' US Open SCL = 12 years

These tools will throw a lot of light on the actual longevity of a player in general and also for a particular slam. It's very simple. But, it should be fun to discuss along these lines.

Firstly, I would request El Dude, GSM and other statisticians to help us find accurate numbers for
these parameters for every +6 slam winner (called true great by El Dude). It would be great to find CL and SCLs for every true great of the open era (more than 60% of the span should lie in the open era). Then, we can sort out the top 10 in CL and SCL (for each slam) in the open era. That would give us a lot of meaningful insight.

Requesting El Dude and others to take the initiative whenever convenient.

This should give food for thought till IW.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
El Dude Pro Tennis (Mens) 27