Coco Puffs - Coco Gauff Talk

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
All the talk pages on here are about male tennis players. It's time to change that. Coco Gauff is the most marketable player in the WTA today. In 2022, she was a French Open finalist, who qualified for the Year End Championships. She also won Auckland in 2023.

This week, Coco's world ranking rises to #5, as she plays in the Rome Masters.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
All the talk pages on here are about male tennis players. It's time to change that. Coco Gauff is the most marketable player in the WTA today. In 2022, she was a French Open finalist, who qualified for the Year End Championships. She also won Auckland in 2023.

This week, Coco's world ranking rises to #5, as she plays in the Rome Masters.
The only reason Gauff rose to No 5 because Daria Kstakina lost, in Madrid, Gauff is not playing to her ranking of No 5 at all, look at her last 2 clay results,in Madrid, Badosa ranked 35, defeated her 63 60? as I and many people have said she needs an experienced coach., her fhand is her achilles heel along with her serve, 2nd serve.
Going by her present form on clay, she wont be defending her finalists points at RG this year, unless she can turn around her clay form ASAP..

Last edited:

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Well it's nice that you want to celebrate Coco's achievements. You're finding out what I've known for 10 years around here: the men's tour almost always garners more attention, period. The women need some charismatic stars to promote their brand and bring back interest to the fans. I hope Coco can be one of those players I mentioned, but right now she has to work on some fundamental elements if she wants to compete w/ the top dawgs.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well it's nice that you want to celebrate Coco's achievements. You're finding out what I've known for 10 years around here: the men's tour almost always garners more attention, period. The women need some charismatic stars to promote their brand and bring back interest to the fans. I hope Coco can be one of those players I mentioned, but right now she has to work on some fundamental elements if she wants to compete w/ the top dawgs.
yes the men tour has more interesting characters.The likes of Rune,Dolgopolov and the drama from the russian divos,Kyrigios and Kokki are also controversial.

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Coco Gauff's world ranking drops to 6 this week, after Elena Rybakina wins the Italian Open open. Gauff will play in the French Open next, where she a finalist in 2022.

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
There have been women slam winners of the last few years who IMO Coco is just as talented & gifted as they are, if not more. I wish her well.

So it’s not a matter of talent or gifts. Yet I’m not quite convinced she will win a Slam.

Her team has reassured her that her losses are simply steps in the process of her becoming a champ. I get that they want to encourage her but I can’t help but feel that her early breakthrough success at such a young age has resulted in these heavy heavy expectations and relentless pressure on her shoulders to succeed. Not implying that team Coco are necessarily doing anything wrong, but i get the sense that she feels all this weight on her shoulders because she is the anointed one.

Last edited:

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
There have been women slam winners of the last few years who IMO Coco is just as talented & gifted as they are, if not more. I wish her well.

So it’s not a matter of talent or gifts. Yet Im not quite convinced she will win a Slam.

Her team has reassured her that her losses are simply steps in the process of her becoming a champ. I get that they want to encourage her but I can’t but feel that her early breakthrough success at such a young age has resulted in these heavy heavy expectations and relentless pressure on her shoulders to succeed. Not implying that team Coco are necessarily doing anything wrong, but i get the sense that she feels all this weight on her shoulders because she is the anointed one.
I don't think Coco should view herself or others either should not view her in that way. It's a plethora of young Americans who could capture a slam if they can get confidence and go on a streak. IMO

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think Coco should view herself or others either should not view her in that way. It's a plethora of young Americans who could capture a slam if they can get confidence and go on a streak. IMO
I totally agree, just that I think there ARE these expectations on her 24/7, fair or not.

Coco doesn’t have the luxury of bolting out of nowhere , as you say on a hot streak to get a slam. It may very well still happen, but she has been groomed for that the last few years. Internal self induced pressure is one of those things you can’t gauge, and then we have someone like Sabalenka who after years of falling short this year managed the pressure and got her final breakthrough.

Last edited:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Coco is in her second year as a full-time player .She is still very green and is learning.There are lots of players older than her who have never reached a slam final.Her time will come and she is going to win Wimbledon one day.Her time will come...I remember Jankovic was very good on clay but never reached the final.Venus had a weak forehand but won Wimbledon five times with that weak forehand.A match is won in the mind first and her time is coming.

Reactions: Kieran

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
Coco is in her second year as a full-time player .She is still very green and is learning.There are lots of players older than her who have never reached a slam final.Her time will come and she is going to win Wimbledon one day.Her time will come...I remember Jankovic was very good on clay but never reached the final.Venus had a weak forehand but won Wimbledon five times with that weak forehand.A match is won in the mind first and her time is coming.
Coco is technically in her 5th year as a full time player. She was considered a newcomer in 2019 (which she lost out on the Newcomer of the Year award to Bianca Andreescu). You could consider this to be her 4th year as a full time player if you count 2019 as a partial year due to Coco being limited to a number of events due to age. You could even consider this to be her 3rd year as a full time player if you discount 2020, a year she played pretty much every event held, as a partial year due to Covid. But there is no argument against Coco being a full time player in 2021 and 2022, so this is at least her 3rd full time season.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Coco is technically in her 5th year as a full time player. She was considered a newcomer in 2019 (which she lost out on the Newcomer of the Year award to Bianca Andreescu). You could consider this to be her 4th year as a full time player if you count 2019 as a partial year due to Coco being limited to a number of events due to age. You could even consider this to be her 3rd year as a full time player if you discount 2020, a year she played pretty much every event held, as a partial year due to Covid. But there is no argument against Coco being a full time player in 2021 and 2022, so this is at least her 3rd full time season.
They said she was allowed to play full schedule in 2022 and by the end of the year she was burnt out.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Yesterday I watched a video on Twitter, just quickly, Coco was practicing and Patrick M was there, I know Coco hasnt got a new coach as yet, Patrick M help Coco and her parents awhile back, I wonder if Patrick M could be Coco's new coach. I always thought when Serena retired, Patrick M might coach Coco full time? that did not happen, Patrick M has finished his extended coaching arrangement with Rune. Maybe Patrick M could be the new coach for Coco? or maybe he was coaching her at a practice session.

Last edited:

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
Well I was right, Patrick Mouratoglou is working with Coco Gauff at RG, while she searches for a full time coach, I saw both of them in practice the other day via a video on Twitter
Shame Coco cant hire him full time? I always though when Serena retired, Patrick might coach Coco? Apparently Coco has known Patrick since she was 10 years old.

Last edited:

Jelenafan

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Coco has good mechanics on her serve.
If Coco could develop her serve to be a reliable weapon ( yes, admittedly the holy grail for most players) that opens up the court for her, makes her forays to net easier.

Strength to strength as I could see her already solid netplay would get honed even more.

But again the foundation of her serve promises more. She has very good speed, an exceptional BH, so a serve that potentially could be a gamechanger to augment her natural skill at net, that Coco I can see winning a Slam even with a relatively weaker FH.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I always thought Wim Fissette Osaka's former coach would be a great new coach for Gauff, alas he is now working with the talented Qinwen Zheng, Wim has wroked with Clijsters, Halep, Azarenka, Kerber and Kvitova
Great stat for Fissette,
He has more wins over Serena ( as a coach) over the last 10 years than any individual.!

Last edited:
Reactions: kskate2 and Kieran

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I can’t find video of it on YouTube but this morning I heard Billie Jean King saying she thinks Coco’s main weakness is her FH, and Chris Evert agreed. Obviously more proof they read Tennis Frontier.

• Love
Reactions: MargaretMcAleer

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I was surprised to know that this is Marketa's second title at 24 yrs,and Ons has four titles at 28yrs.Tennis pundits drag Coco at any chance they can,and not talk about Jabeur's mental weaknesses .The reason they critique her is borderline suspect.

PhiEaglesfan712

Masters Champion
Reactions
I was surprised to know that this is Marketa's second title at 24 yrs,and Ons has four titles at 28yrs.Tennis pundits drag Coco at any chance they can,and not talk about Jabeur's mental weaknesses .The reason they critique her is borderline suspect.
lol, Jabeur doesn't have a mental weakness. She beat Kvitova, Rybakina, and Sabalenka back-to-back-to-back, with the last two on no rest. You can't do that if you have a mental weakness. I just believe Jabeur ran out of gas. Let's face it, if she got the mickey mouse draw that Iga got and she got to the finals beating Svitolina and Vondrousova, then beat whoever came out of Kvitova/Rybakina/Sabalenka in the finals, no one is questioning her mental capabilities. If you want to see mental weakness, look at Jessica Pegula, Caroline Garcia, or Maria Sakkari. None of those players are beating Kviotva, Rybakina, or Sabalenka, let alone 3 straight matches.

OT: The American media has been doing this to female tennis players for a while. It's not just exclusive to Coco. They did this to Capriati, the Williams sisters, Sloane Stephens, pretty much every American female tennis player except for their darling Lindsay Davenport.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
lol, Jabeur doesn't have a mental weakness. She beat Kvitova, Rybakina, and Sabalenka back-to-back-to-back, with the last two on no rest. You can't do that if you have a mental weakness. I just believe Jabeur ran out of gas. Let's face it, if she got the mickey mouse draw that Iga got and she got to the finals beating Svitolina and Vondrousova, then beat whoever came out of Kvitova/Rybakina/Sabalenka in the finals, no one is questioning her mental capabilities. If you want to see mental weakness, look at Jessica Pegula, Caroline Garcia, or Maria Sakkari. None of those players are beating Kviotva, Rybakina, or Sabalenka, let alone 3 straight matches.

OT: The American media has been doing this to female tennis players for a while. It's not just exclusive to Coco. They did this to Capriati, the Williams sisters, Sloane Stephens, pretty much every American female tennis player except for their darling Lindsay Davenport.
How are you mentally strong when you collapse like that in the final.Clijsters was also like that,beat everyone but come final she folded like a cheap suit.At 28,yrs she only has 4 titles... that says it all.