British PM told to make slavery apology

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11900726/David-Cameron-told-to-personally-atone-over-slavery-links-as-reparations-row-mars-Jamaican-visit.html

Personally, I think it's ridiculous apologising for something you had no involvement with that happened centuries earlier.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
I read you may have a communist for PM after next elections in Britain. How do you feel about it?

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
<cite>@Mastoor said:</cite>
I read you may have a communist for PM after next elections in Britain. How do you feel about it?
He's got no chance of getting elected. He's been elected leader of the Labour Party but I doubt he can even unify wings in the party and will likely get overthrown by forces within, before the election.

I don't like his politics but I do like him personally. He's a conviction politician (rare these days) and what you see is what you get.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
He seems too avantgarde for Britain and well respected elsewhere in the world.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
@mastoor ..and on the original topic, Cameron should be apologising for Libya... something he was directly involved with, not something from a billion years ago.

Asmodeus

Futures Player
Reactions
7166 said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11900726/David-Cameron-told-to-personally-atone-over-slavery-links-as-reparations-row-mars-Jamaican-visit.html Personally, I think it’s ridiculous apologising for something you had no involvement with that happened centuries earlier.

A perfect example of political correctness lunacy. Is there a rock I can hide under. I need to run away from the world. On a better thought, does anyone have an intergalactic spaceship that's about ready to take off? Sign me up.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
8360 said:
A perfect example of political correctness lunacy. Is there a rock I can hide under. I need to run away from the world. On a better thought, does anyone have an intergalactic spaceship that’s about ready to take off? Sign me up.

You are stereotyping the use of rocks... they are much more useful than for simply hiding under.  Please refrain from stereotyping  ;-)

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
There's no guarantee that aliens aren't muppets! So don't go flying off anywhere willy nilly.

At one point does one let the guilt go? The Japanese are still being asked to apologise for the 2nd World War, but no one expects Germany to apologise anymore because it's recognised that these are entirely different people running the country. I would offer that Britain, by it's actions has, if not atoned for it's slavery past, done enough for one to say that those were different people. In a funny way, the place where apologies of some sort are more in order (in my opinion) would be the United States. Things seem to be getting worse over there. I wonder if the Jamaican politicians have elections coming up soon?

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
9245 said:
There’s no guarantee that aliens aren’t muppets! So don’t go flying off anywhere willy nilly. At one point does one let the guilt go? The Japanese are still being asked to apologise for the 2nd World War, but no one expects Germany to apologise anymore because it’s recognised that these are entirely different people running the country. I would offer that Britain, by it’s actions has, if not atoned for it’s slavery past, done enough for one to say that those were different people. In a funny way, the place where apologies of some sort are more in order (in my opinion) would be the United States. Things seem to be getting worse over there. I wonder if the Jamaican politicians have elections coming up soon?

What exactly do Americans have to apologize for? They have been apologizing since at least 1964 and every year new apologies have to be made. There are countless black Americans who are sick and tired of Al Sharpton and the likes of Riotbeard or the boneheaded New York Times editorialists, who are white geeks with no understanding of black people or how to help them with their social problems.

If things are getting worse in the U.S., it is precisely the fault of those people - mostly white dimwits - who insist on the religion of apologizing.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
7166 said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11900726/David-Cameron-told-to-personally-atone-over-slavery-links-as-reparations-row-mars-Jamaican-visit.html Personally, I think it’s ridiculous apologising for something you had no involvement with that happened centuries earlier.

The problem is that this type of thinking is the post-Christian religion of the West. In the absence of Christianity, this type of self-flagellation is what gives the academic and media class its moral fulfillment.

EdbergsGhost

Masters Champion
Reactions
8360 said:
A perfect example of political correctness lunacy. Is there a rock I can hide under. I need to run away from the world. On a better thought, does anyone have an intergalactic spaceship that’s about ready to take off? Sign me up.

Sampras_fan has the hood of a 57 Chevy upon which he travels the high seas with his trusty Wang computer.  Maybe he'd let you hitch a ride. :good:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
11413 said:
Asmodeus wrote:
<blockquote>
britbox wrote:
A perfect example of political correctness lunacy. Is there a rock I can hide under. I need to run away from the world. On a better thought, does anyone have an intergalactic spaceship that’s about ready to take off? Sign me up.</blockquote>
Sampras_fan has the hood of a 57 Chevy upon which he travels the high seas with his trusty Wang computer. Maybe he’d let you hitch a ride.
wpml_good.gif
:good:  Haha, that's a blast from the past - think that was an @asmodeus original?