Australian Open, 2005

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
...is the last time one of Federer, Nadal, or Djokovic wasn't in a Grand Slam final. Crazy.

lindseywagners

Futures Player
Reactions
Wow, thanks for noting. I thought about the '05 Aussie Open as well, particularly the levels at which Safin played then and Cilic played today. Ciliic's level today was crazy: I was worried when he handled Berdych in straights, and he seemed very composed in his pre-match interview. Just walked right through in straights, and it's not like Federer played terrible.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
FRENCH OPEN 2005:

That was the last time when two blokes neither of whom has won a GS before
were battling in a final.

TsarMatt

Major Winner
Reactions
It's going to feel, like, so strange.

Cilic vs. Nishikori is the type of I match I expect to see in R3 or 4 of a GS... And to think that one of these guys is going to home a Grand Slam champion is bewildering.

Well, they deserved it. One had to get through Nole and the other Federer to get where they are.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
TsarMatt said:
It's going to feel, like, so strange.

Cilic vs. Nishikori is the type of I match I expect to see in R3 or 4 of a GS... And to think that one of these guys is going to home a Grand Slam champion is bewildering.

Well, they deserved it. One had to get through Nole and the other Federer to get where they are.

Exactly! In addition, Nishikori had to beat Raonic, Wawrinka, and Djokovic in order to reach the final. And those matches weren't pretty too.

As for Cilic, after losing that fourth set to Simon, he has now won seven straight sets. So, both players are going into with a lot of momentum.