Assange arrested

Chris Koziarz

Masters Champion
Reactions
I'm not surprised the patience of Ecuador finally ended. One notable claim in the article cited above:
Assange's stay at the embassy cost Ecuador some $6.5m
That's a lot of money. Full $1m per year. Average salary in OZ is about US$50k so Assange enjoyed a very very lavished lifestyle during his stay in defacto voluntary prison, spending 20 times more than an average Australian at home. To me, it sounds like an exaggeration: how could such poor quality lifestyle be so expensive? But even if the cost have been inflated by Ecuadorians, still it was a cost that has becoming more and more useless and wasted. All diplomatic efforts to end it had failed and the Assange's mental health deteriorated very badly beyond a tolerable state. His repeated violations of the basic social terms that would apply to any hotel guest, culminating in his hygiene (smearing faeces on the walls) are no doubt result of his mental health badly deteriorated. So, IMO the decision by Ecuador to evict him resulting in a change for him (different prison is no better but still a bit of change) will improve his mental health. E.g., he will have an opportunity to do walks around prison courtyard, i.e. experience larger space from time to time, and not be confined to just 1 bedroom + bathroom.
Regarding what happens to him, I've heard that Ecuador make a deal with UK that they evict Assange only if he's not extradited to a country that supports death penalty. If UK is bound by such deal, then they cannot extradite him to US. But perhaps US/UK lawyers can work around it by first extraditing him to Sweden, and then to US bwcause Sweden is not bound by this apparent deal. That would be bad, because I think Assange does not deserve to be prosecuted for his whistle-blowing. I do not like everything he's done (e.g. I condemn him for his disregard for privacy & safety of his informers, and his pro-Russian bias) but overall he's done a good service to the world by exposing the corruptions inside political and military circles in US. So, he should be protected from the wrath of said political circles who want to punish him. They are biased in this case and their freedom of speech means nothing here because they find everything to show the freedom does not apply to the "spy" they want to punish so badly.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Assange's stay at the embassy cost Ecuador some $6.5m .

Thing is that there is zero credible evidence of all the claims on the cited article. It is in the interests of a long laundry list of international actors to discredit Assange, and articles like this come from sources who directly and knowingly respond to such actors. It is the most obvious case of political propaganda (or character assassination or any word you might chose) in recent years. As you said in your post, the guy made a favor to the world... a favor which requires intelligence and balance, and now he is smearing his own shit on the walls? Sorry I don't buy that. Not even close. It is exactly like a cheap conspiracy theory -- just that it comes from apparently credible sources.

Looking at the 6.5 m claim, just a bit of common sense and one quickly arrives to the conclusion that the practical cost is almost zero. The facilities are there anyway, the staff is there anyway. Hardly the monthly spending of the embassy suffered any change, and if it did, surely way way way way less than that. And even in the unrealistic and absurd hypothesis that this figure makes any sense, it was the state of Ecuador who decided to make a geopolitical move. In that sense that would be a very small price. Finally, if the problem was money, all Ecuador needed to do was to tell the world. It would be the biggest crowd funding ever.

Actually, the mere fact that such idiotic (sorry, no other words to describe it) claims surfaced is enough to demonstrate that the players, including the state of Ecuador, don't even have a good cover up story for the decisions they made. I understand the pressure they were surely under -- even if I hardly would give any credit to their current government (not that I think the previous one is faultless either). But the "cancelled" political asylum, "cancelled" citizenship... from a diplomatic standpoint is even amateurish.

Reactions: Chris Koziarz