Alabama bans sharia law

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Great daily show clip skewering where I grew up. The video is in this link, which explains the law banning foreign laws.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/01/days_since_alabama_has_been_on.html

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
Great daily show clip skewering where I grew up. The video is in this link, which explains the law banning foreign laws.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/01/days_since_alabama_has_been_on.html

Stupid video made by ignorant people with stupid ideas. I have grown up in the Northeast around leftist-brainwashed slaves to the public education system - which Riotbeard clearly is - and I know just how much of a fraud they all are. Today's attempt at education in the United States is all pretentious fakery, and for that reason, among others, I am more and more rooting for the Islamists to succeed. They are already winning the global war on so many fronts, and I admire them for their passionate conviction and intelligence, and I hope that they continue to win simply so that I can laugh at the likes of Riotbeard and Jon Stewart when it is eventually indisputable just how wrong and clueless they were all along - that's if they are even smart enough to eventually realize how wrong they were.

People who like the Daily Show are ill-informed ignoramuses who were just smart enough and assertive enough to pass college while smoking tons and tons of dope. I have seen it with my own eyes with about 25 different people at least.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
britbox said:
In other news, the North Pole have banned nude sunbathing.

In other news, Riotbeard is still puzzled at why atheist Communism failed so miserably. Hmmmmmm.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
People who like the Daily Show are ill-informed ignoramuses who were just smart enough and assertive enough to pass college while smoking tons and tons of dope. I have seen it with my own eyes with about 25 different people at least.

Interesting article regarding Stewart's departure.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/398429/destroyer-goeth-kevin-d-williamson

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
nehmeth said:
calitennis127 said:

It was interesting, and he actually makes a lot of good points, but I have two or three problems with it. The author makes it seem like petty politicking is the fault of liberals and not something shared by both parties. Both sides have no interest that I can see in talking to each other. They are just playing the team sports version of politics. My second problem with it is the conflation of The Daily Show with news, and criticizing Jon Stewart for not being a responsible newsperson, when he is a comedian and never agreed that he should be a place for people to get news. I agree and Stewart has said himself that the fact he is where many go for news is not a good sign for the U.S. However, I think the popularity of the daily show is more a products of the vapid, petty, and largely newslessness of the mainstream television media on both sides (MSNBC, CNN, and FoxNews).

I think a lot of this guys points are good, but in my opinion, he misses the big picture in favor of blaming everything on liberals, when both sides are equally superficial in how they engage in political discourse.

nehmeth

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
nehmeth said:
calitennis127 said:

My second problem with it is the conflation of The Daily Show with news, and criticizing Jon Stewart for not being a responsible newsperson, when he is a comedian and never agreed that he should be a place for people to get news. I agree and Stewart has said himself that the fact he is where many go for news is not a good sign for the U.S.

I don't see that he was accusing Stewart of not being a responsible newsperson, but of coming across as a newsperson one moment and then reverting back to "I'm just a comedian",all the while knowing that many do come to him as the sole/primary source for their news.

Truly it is a bad sign for the USA and the younger generation.

As to your first point, I think if you would ask any intelligent writer, he would agree that neither side (liberal or conservative) are really open to hearing the other. He's writing for WSJ so probably doesn't feel the need to preface his statements, just as someone from Slate or Huffpo wouldn't feel the need to preface theirs.

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
1972Murat said:
He was being interviewed on CNN by Amanpour and she asked if he would ever consider being a "real" newsperson, like a news anchor etc...He said never. I think he knows who and what he is.

It's everybody else who pushes him into legitimacy then blames him for not behaving in compliance with a role he never accepted.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
1972Murat said:
He was being interviewed on CNN by Amanpour and she asked if he would ever consider being a "real" newsperson, like a news anchor etc...He said never. I think he knows who and what he is.

It's everybody else who pushes him into legitimacy then blames him for not behaving in compliance with a role he never accepted.

Exactly. It's as if some people forget his show is on THE COMEDY CHANNEL.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I think Riotbeard and tented are falling back on a very limited excuse here. Every intelligent social and political radical in history has recognized the immense importance of film, music, satire, etc. on culture and by extension on politics. It is no coincidence that Antonio Gramsci spoke of a "march through the institutions" to subvert Western Christian capitalist culture. It is no coincidence that Lenin saw film as the major vehicle for propaganda in the 20th century - something he was quite prescient about in hindsight.

Life is an integrated whole, and you can't just separate what you value in comedy (especially political comedy) from what your real or "serious" views are. Riotbeard is case and point. He put up the Stewart video on Shariah law in Alabama not just because he thought it was "funny" but because he fundamentally agreed with it. Yes, not everything is serious at all times, but culture reflects more fundamental attitudes, especially when you're talking about political comedy.

Also, Stewart can claim that he isn't like the MSNBC people all he wants, but fundamentally he agrees with their worldview.

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
1972Murat said:

Talk about politics every weeknight with a major platform and then people might just consider you political. Not a huge leap to make there.