"5 Traits the Greatest Tennis Players Have in Common"

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
In fairness, players are only great in hindsight.

The idea of giving credit to players for things they couldn't do starts this era with Roddick and keeps on rolling...

oh yeah that's why there is such a thing as bandwagon. Before Murray went on a roll, he was dissed as hopeless choking defensive mediocre and was not regarded as one of the big 4 by many here; now he is the man. Those same people suddenly talk so highly of him, it's embarrassing to even see that :laydownlaughing

Isn't it obvious that his ability was always there? Lendl made him adjust a bit, but he is really the same player nevertheless.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
ricardo said:
oh yeah that's why there is such a thing as bandwagon. Before Murray went on a roll, he was dissed as hopeless choking defensive mediocre and was not regarded as one of the big 4 by many here; now he is the man. Those same people suddenly talk so highly of him, it's embarrassing to even see that :laydownlaughing

Isn't it obvious that his ability was always there? Lendl made him adjust a bit, but he is really the same player nevertheless.

In fairness, there's a lot of players have the ability. Ability doesn't win majors on its own. Murray has shown the added components, but we can't say he was good enough to win something until he actually did. I remember hearing so many times, "it's a given, so and so will win W eventually." Commentators and fans alike say it. To an extent it's bandwagonism, but really, we should wait and see, and when they do, congratulate them.

And when they don't, resist the urge to say they're as great as those who did...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
And when they don't, resist the urge to say they're as great as those who did...

As well as, when they don't, resist the urge to say they deserved it ...

[This is NOT a comment about Murray. I'm simply riffing on Kieran's line about players in general.]

Haelfix

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I truly believe a lot of tennis is a numbers game. That if you put yourself into the position to win, and you can win (eg you can beat the top players), then it's just a matter of getting there enough times.

For instance Del Potro has the talent to beat any of the top players in a moment of glory, for him it's just a question of getting that deep in a tourney enough times, and I have no problem seeing him winning another major or three.

(David Ferrer can't really beat the top players as his record indicates, so it seems like he probably won't ever quite get over the hump)

That's why I also always had Murray penciled in for a slam win, barring injury. He proved long ago that he could beat the top players in the world, and he was consistently getting into the qfs and semis. The rest is a numbers game.

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Excellent point by Haelfix above. The simplicity of his observation is so obvious, yet so true.