Who else will be #1 this year? (and when)

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I started writing this for Tennis Frontier, but decided to wait until the new forums opened up (looks great, Britbox - thanks for your hard work). Also, if you don't want to go through my dubious ruminations and possibly erroneous calculations, skip to the Summary at the end).

Preamble: A Crazy Year
As we near the end of the first half of 2017--the mid-point being somewhere between Roland Garros and Wimbledon--we can both reflect both on a first-haf full of surprises, most notably the resurrection of “Fedal” and the struggles of Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic, and also on what is to come, in this context who might be #1 this year. As of this writing, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal have won all five big tournaments: one Slam (Federer) and four Masters (two each). Murray has been coasting along as the reigning #1 , despite the fact that through Madrid he is an anemic #11 in the Race to London rankings, behind journeyman Albert Ramos-Vinolas. Djokovic is even worse, coming in at #16. But the two are still ranked #1 and #2 in the ATP Rankings, and Murray is ahead of Novak by over 3000 points and #3 Stan Wawrinka by almost 5000. But the question is: how long will it last?

Longer than one might think, given Andy's level of play. Most of Andy's ranking points are in the second half of the year, with his win at Wimbledon (2000), two Masters (2000), two ATP 500 titles (1000), and the WTF (1500). On the other hand, Djokovic doesn't have a huge number of points to defend, and Rafa and Roger almost none.

When should we start looking for a possible regime change? If the Big Four (who seem like the only candidates for the year-end #1) do not win another tournament, their ranking points would start converging later in the year, with certain "pressure points" - moments of possibility in which we might see a shift at the top of the rankings. Let's take a look.

The Big Four Convergence
Roger has no more points to defend after Wimbledon with 4045 points in the Race to London rankings. Meaning, he'll end the year with at least 4045 ranking points; last year that would have been good enough for #6. In other words, if Roger stops playing for the rest of the year, he'll still finish #6 (or so). Nadal played until Shanghai and then not after, with 4745 Race points. He too has a guaranteed spot in the top 5 or 6 (and this doesn't even touch the fact that he only has 270 points to defend at Rome and Roland Garros, so his Race points may increase to as much as about 7500 through clay season). Novak has lost a ton of points and will continue to drop fast throughout the year, as will Andy but a bit later (again, assuming no more points earned).

So with Rafa and Roger with more “safe points,” at what point might they converge? Novak drops below Rafa when Roland Garros comes off, although not below Roger until Canada. Andy doesn't fall below Rafa until Shanghai in October, and falls below Roger a bit later at Paris.

Remember, this is assuming either no new points which, barring no major injuries, will obviously not be the case, or completely equal play from here on out. But there is still a ton of tennis before us, and though Nadal will have a rather larger lead in the Race rankings after clay season is finished, it is also his stronger segment of the year, with the other three all have much stronger resumes in the second half.

Rafa is doing exactly what he needs to have a chance at #1: sweeping a weak and troubled clay season. He's already won 2500 points from titles and has a chance for another 3000 and thus, as I said above, has a really good chance of being #1 at least for part of the year. If he wins Rome and RG, he'll be at 8105 points heading into the second half of the year, with only a few hundred points coming off later in the year – and thus probably good enough to finish in the top 2. Even if he doesn't win both Rome and RG, he'll have accrued enough points in the first half that even just moderate success in the second half and he's a virtual lock for the top 4, is still a great candidate for the top 2, and a solid chance at year-end #1. But he can't rest on his clay accomplishments; depending upon how he does at Rome and Roland Garros, he probably needs to gain another 3-5,000 points in the second half to be year-end #1.

Roger has opted out of clay season almost entirely, which makes his performance in the second half all the more important. He should gain a few points at Roland Garros, but for him Wimbledon reigns supreme, and then the later hard-courts. Roger probably doesn't have a shot at #1 until the US Open, and then only if he wins either Wimbledon or the USO, does reasonably well in other tournaments, and Rafa doesn't win more than a single Slam.

Andy's #1 ranking is safe until Wimbledon. If he has a poor remainder of clay season and Rafa sweeps, Rafa can take over #1 at Wimbledon. If Andy earns back a chunk of his upcoming 2700 clay and early grass points – 1500 will be enough no matter how well Rafa plays – he can hold Rafa at bay and go into Wimbledon ranked #1. To put that into clearer numbers:

If we take off all upcoming points including Wimbledon, Andy has 7090 protected points going into Wimbledon to Rafa's 4955 - those numbers assume entry into Rome, RG, and Wimbledon for both players. That means Andy has a +2135 point advantage and thus Rafa would need to out-play Andy by 2140 points between now and then to finish Wimbledon as the world #1. With 5500 points available (two Slams, one Masters, and one ATP 500), that seems very possible if not guaranteed. For that to happen, a few things need to happen for Rafa to get to #1 at Wimbledon: 1) He needs to sweep the rest of clay, or at least win Roland Garros and do well at Rome, 2) Andy needs to struggle during clay, and 3) Rafa needs to do close to as well as Andy at Wimbledon.

(In case you're wondering, if Andy loses the #1 ranking after Wimbledon, he'll be at 37 weeks total, just behind Ilie Nastase at 40 weeks).

Who knows with Novak. The good news is that he has far fewer points to defend later in the year. The bad news is that he's not earning back a lot of his ridiculous first half haul from last year. Novak is probably going to slip to #3 before clay season is done, and if he doesn't start playing better, will slip further during the North American tour, and conceivably could fall out of the top 5 by year's end. But unless Novak completely transforms his season, chances are he won't have a good shot at #1 until the first half of 2018, when he gets a chance to re-do his terrible first half performance this year.

Summary
There will be two big “pressure points” in which the top of the rankings could see a shake-up. The first is during Wimbledon, when Rafa will have a chance to overtake Andy (having almost certainly passed Novak after Roland Garros). We'll have a better sense of the likelihood of this after clay season is through, and how much more ground Rafa has made up. Regardless, Rafa will almost certainly have surpassed Novak by that point. The second is after the US Open, when the #1 ranking could be up for grabs, with Murray, Nadal, and Federer all vying for year-end #1, with Djokovic a dim possibility. Regardless of how things unfold, it seems likely that the year-end #1 will be decided late in the year, possibly at the World Tour Finals.

Reactions: Moxie and britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The way things are looking right now... I wouldn't bet against Nadal.

Federer won't play often enough to have a serious assault on it and missing RG isn't going to help him.

Murray and Djokovic are bleeding points... although I can't really see them being this bad all year. A fit and confident Nadal owns Murray though... and Djoker seems in a mess.

Reactions: Moxie

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think Rafa has a great chance at being #1, but year-end #1 is a different beast. But if he sweeps clay season and holds his own in the second half, I'm not sure if anyone will be able to catch him. Roger not playing Roland Garros doesn't help this cause, but on the other hand it seems clear that Roger doesn't really care about year-end #1 and is going all in on optimizing his chances at #19 and #20. Actually, my sense is that he really wants to reach the rather magical "#20" and finish with the most Grand Slams for years to come. His talk of longevity and years ahead just furthers this view.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Thanks for the overview, Dude. I had no thought of Rafa ever reaching #1 again, let alone at year end. Your post helps the rest of us keep count on our fingers as the year progresses.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yeah, it is such a surprise, isn't it? The story so far this year has been Roger in the first quarter, Rafa in the second. Maybe the most ardent fans of one or the other wishfully thought that their favorite could do what they did, but no one could have possibly guessed that Fedal would be the show in the first half of the year.

As for Rafa, he's been amazing. I was skeptical through Monte Carlo, as he had one of the easiest runs to the title of a Masters in recent history, but he's pretty much answered any questions I've had in Madrid. The fact that it is not only possible for him to reach #1 again, but almost probable, is just incredible. Rejoice and enjoy, Moxie!

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Rafa says that to be #1 is not his goal but to be healthy and competitive

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I do not see Nadal become number 1 player just because he will be tired after this clay court season. In addition, he is more vulnerable at hardcourts and indoors than earlier in the year.

In a way, I could see Federer as number 1 just because his game suits very well on the latter part of the year.

Like I said to Kieran, I will be glad if Nadal returns to 2 ranking just because it is my favorite number and he does a lot more damage as a number 2 than number 1...

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
rafanoy1992, if you look at the numbers, he doesn't have to do great after clay season to be #1 - he has a good chance of it after Wimbledon. He could even be year-end #1 if he has a surge later in the year. He may surprise you.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
rafanoy1992, if you look at the numbers, he doesn't have to do great after clay season to be #1 - he has a good chance of it after Wimbledon. He could even be year-end #1 if he has a surge later in the year. He may surprise you.

El Dude, I know points wise he has a great chance of becoming number 1. I just do not think he will do it just because he will be 31 in a few weeks. In my opinion, their #1 goal is to get number 15 (hopefully he gets it). If or when he achieves the goal, then I could see him just rest (not Federer's way of rest) so he could prepare for the Slams.

But if he does become number 1, then it will be a remarkable feat considering his level of play in 2015 and 2016.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Well I agree that he probably won't sustain it, but it seems you are missing just how close he is right now. Let's do this another way - here are Rafa's and Andy's points with current and upcoming clay points taken off:

Andy:9560
Rafa: 5105

For Rome, Andy only gets 10 points - so he'd be at 9570, with RG points off. Let's say that Rafa wins Rome. He'd then be at 6105. Fast forward to Roland Garros. Let's say Andy loses in the QF, that's +360 points or 9930. Let's say Rafa wins, so he's at 8105. That's their point totals going into grass season.

Now let's take grass points off. Andy has 500 for London, 2000 for Wimbledon - so that brings him down to 7430. Rafa has no grass points, so he's at 8105...these would be the "safe points" for after grass, with grass results added. That means that for Rafa to be #1 after Wimbledon, he only needs to earn about 700 fewer points during grass season than Andy. He could be #1 by reaching the lead-up ATP 500 SF (180) and Slam F (1200), if Andy wins London again (500) but goes out in the SF of Wimbledon (720). Or there are other configurations possible.

Now Rafa won't reach #1 after Wimbledon if both of the following hppen: He doesn't win Roland Garros and Andy wins Wimbledon. So it isn't a sure thing. But the point is, he's got a legit chance - especially if he wins RG and just plays reasonably well during grass season and Andy doesn't win Wimbledon. Ironically enough, Rafa could reach #1 because Roger Federer wins Wimbledon!

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
An update on this. Here are the point totals, with 2016 Roland Garros taken off:

1. Andy Murray 9170
2. Novak Djokovic 5445
3. Rafael Nadal 5285
4. Roger Federer 5035
5. Stan Wawrinka 4725

Stan is playing Geneva, an ATP 250, so could gain another 250 points and be at 4975.

But the important point is this: Rafa is 160 points behind Novak, meaning he only really has to out-play Novak by one round, starting with the QF, to be #2 by the end of RG.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
An update on this. Here are the point totals, with 2016 Roland Garros taken off:

1. Andy Murray 9170
2. Novak Djokovic 5445
3. Rafael Nadal 5285
4. Roger Federer 5035
5. Stan Wawrinka 4725

Stan is playing Geneva, an ATP 250, so could gain another 250 points and be at 4975.

But the important point is this: Rafa is 160 points behind Novak, meaning he only really has to out-play Novak by one round, starting with the QF, to be #2 by the end of RG.

El Dude, we could literally have the Big 4 (who are all in their 30s) in the Top 4 rankings in the middle of the year 2017! I would never imagine that will happen....

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

1. Andy Murray 9170
2. Novak Djokovic 5445
3. Rafael Nadal 5285
4. Roger Federer 5035
5. Stan Wawrinka 4725

One trivia for you El Dude, do you think you can guess the year the last time all of the Big 4 members occupied the Top 4 rankings?

Here's a bonus: What month also?

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I'll resist the temptation to cheat. Hmm...let's see. I'm guessing it wasn't last year. Roger started in the top 5 but fell out, and I don't think Rafa was ever in. I'd guess either late 2014 or early 2015?

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'll resist the temptation to cheat. Hmm...let's see. I'm guessing it wasn't last year. Roger started in the top 5 but fell out, and I don't think Rafa was ever in. I'd guess either late 2014 or early 2015?

No cigar, El Dude! The correct answer (if I am correct) is the week of May 27, 2013! (so literally almost 4 years ago!) When I looked it up I was quite surprise too!

It kinda made sense.

In the early 2013, Rafa skipped the Australian Open so he dropped out of the Top 4. Then in the middle of 2013, Roger dropped in the rankings. In 2014, Murray struggled and fell into the 10th ranking and Federer had a resurgence and Nadal started strong but injuries derailed him at the end of the year.

In 2015, Nadal struggled all year and Murray had his resurgence going from 6th to 3rd and Federer continued his high level of play from 2014.

In 2016, both Nadal and Federer had injuries so their rankings dropped. Meanwhile, Murray continued his high level of play and became number 1.

Finally, you know the story of 2017 so far between the Big 4 members.

I would never had imagined that the Big 4 will occupy the Top 4 rankings once they are in their 30s!

One more amazing stat for you El Dude: If Djokovic lose the number 2 ranking to Nadal, he will end his streak of being the Top 2 rankings at 326 consecutive weeks (roughly 6 years and 3 months).

You will probably know who is number 1 at being in the Top 2 rankings ;) (485 weeks of being in the Top 2 rankings).

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yep, that would be Rafael Nadal: the second greatest player in the Open Era ;).

Seriously though, we're both wrong. Take a look:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/rankings/singles?rankDate=2016-07-25&rankRange=0-100

The Big Four were #1-4 just last July, until both Rafa fell out of the top 4 on August 1st, and Roger not long after. So technically the last time was July 31, 2016.

Darn, really?! It was not long time ago...

Also, the correct was Roger Federer not Rafael Nadal....unless you were being sarcastic...

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Also, the correct was Roger Federer not Rafael Nadal....unless you were being sarcastic...
Of course he is sarcastic but leave him enjoying now one more time because we don't know what will happen tomorrow , each one has the right to see everything like he wants, nothing bad with that

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

Actually, I honestly thought that Rafa had the record, but was mistaking most weeks as #2, not top 2.