Where would you place LeBron James among all time greats and why?

Where does LeBron Stand?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• outside top 10

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I was wondering as to where would folks place LeBron James now among all time greats.
Please justify your reasoning. In particular, if you place him on 3, mention the two ahead of him.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
RE: Where would you place LeBron James among all time greast and why?

Before this series I had him as a clear #6. The top 5 before this is actually fairly clear cut IMO. Jordan at #1 and then behind him in some order you have Kareem, Russell, Wilt, and Magic. I then had Lebron followed by Bird. After this...it's tough for sure. I don't think he is #2 yet (that's Kareem IMO) but I do put him a hair ahead of Wilt and Magic now. So #4 all time for me now.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
RE: Where would you place LeBron James among all time greast and why?

DarthFed said:
Before this series I had him as a clear #6. The top 5 before this is actually fairly clear cut IMO. Jordan at #1 and then behind him in some order you have Kareem, Russell, Wilt, and Magic. I then had Lebron followed by Bird. After this...it's tough for sure. I don't think he is #2 yet (that's Kareem IMO) but I do put him a hair ahead of Wilt and Magic now. So #4 all time for me now.

I'm no Laker fan, but Jabbar and Johnson will always be ahead of LeBron who's the biggest crybaby of all the ATG's! His flops on court when not even touched is quite unseemly and I can't respect the guy even if he doubles it and take 1 more in Cleveland before heading back to South Beach! Wilt and Russell will also be ahead of him for all time! :rolleyes:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ It's tough to rate individual players when it comes to team sports. It simply can't all be about rings otherwise Russell is obviously #1 and probably will be for hundreds of years. Somewhere you have to factor in other things such as stats, accolades, longevity, impact, etc. The thing that's amazing about Lebron is he already has more longevity than a lot of the all timers. When all is said and done he is probably going to be #1 in points and top 5, maybe top 3 in assists, with plenty of other records to go with it.

If he gets another ring or two he may end up #2. Kareem gets underrated sometimes in these lists but his resume is incredible. I think it will take a lot for Lebron to surpass that but he might.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
For starters, can someone post a table of stats (judgement free) comparing the top players on important metrics such as # of rings, # of league MVPs, $ of finals MVPs, total points, rebounds, assists, blocks (total and post-season only).

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
^ It's tough to rate individual players when it comes to team sports. It simply can't all be about rings otherwise Russell is obviously #1 and probably will be for hundreds of years. Somewhere you have to factor in other things such as stats, accolades, longevity, impact, etc. The thing that's amazing about Lebron is he already has more longevity than a lot of the all timers. When all is said and done he is probably going to be #1 in points and top 5, maybe top 3 in assists, with plenty of other records to go with it.

If he gets another ring or two he may end up #2. Kareem gets underrated sometimes in these lists but his resume is incredible. I think it will take a lot for Lebron to surpass that but he might.

I agree with the bolded part. Certainly, players playing in teams without much of a support cast will not be able to win many rings despite their performance and so some allowance should be given for that. In fact, LeBron should get that allowance for wasting so many years in CLE.

p.s. You forgot to vote.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
For starters, can someone post a table of stats (judgement free) comparing the top players on important metrics such as # of rings, # of league MVPs, $ of finals MVPs, total points, rebounds, assists, blocks (total and post-season only).

I'm just going to do it for the 6 I listed (MJ, Bron, Magic, Wilt, Kareem, Russell)

Rings:
Russell - 11
MJ - 6
Kareem - 6
Magic - 5
Lebron - 3
Wilt - 2

MVP:
Kareem - 6
MJ - 5
Russell - 5
Lebron - 4
Wilt - 4
Magic - 3

Finals MVP:
MJ - 6
Lebron - 3
Magic -3
Kareem - 2
Wilt - 1
(There was no finals MVP award until Russell's final year)

This has the other stats you are looking for:

http://www.nba.com/history/nba-all-time-records/

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Thanks for the info and the link. I am just a casual fan of BB and am not seriously into it. So, I don't remember these stats off the top of my head.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
GameSetAndMath said:
Thanks for the info and the link. I am just a casual fan of BB and am not seriously into it. So, I don't remember these stats off the top of my head.

B-Ball has been a joke since the old guard retired; Jordon, Malone, Robinson, etc.! New players don't have the fundamentals down and so it's much too sloppy a game to watch IMO! If San Antonio goes far, I'm a little more interested! I had no dog in this hunt even though I lived in California for over 10 years, but the actions of Draymond Green turned me off and he cost his team the championship due to flagrant fouls! What a tool! Stats says Hillary a shoe-in since an Eastern Conference team won! :angel: :rolleyes: :p

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I am assuming LeBron has a minimum of 3 years and a maximum of 6 years left. Is that correct? What is the average shelf life of a BB player. I would guess somewhere around 15.

Le Bron has put in 13 years right now on NBA. But, he did not waste 4 years studying existential philosophy at an university he probably has 6 more years left. Would that be a reasonable assumption.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Lebron will play until his late 30's barring injury (and he's built like a tank so he almost never gets hurt) so 6 years sounds about right. The average player probably lasts a little less than 10 years, the average star a little over 10 years.

Lebron has an insane amount of miles on his legs. It's not just 13 years of regular season bball. He's gone to 7 finals and has played on 3 Olympic teams and one US World Championship team. If he plays in the Olympics this year he'd be crazy. He is a very old 31 and as insanely athletic as he still is I do think he's lost some of the explosiveness from his earlier years (though that ridiculous block on Iggy last night shows I may be wrong). The thing most don't realize watching him is that he would still be a great player if he was an average athlete. And I think we will see that in 4-5 years when he has slowed down a lot more. If he plays 6 more years I bet he will still be at near superstar level at age 36-37.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I just hope he doesn't limp (leave only after his level has dropped substantially) out of the game like Kobe did and to some degree MJ on his 2nd go round w/ the Wizards.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
OK folks, few days of mourning, oops savoring, is over. Now feel free to assign a number LeBron with your personal justification for it.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Lebron and the Cavs put the Warriors in their place especially Klay Thompson and his douchebag dad,entitled Curry family,Speights and the annoying Warriors fans.

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
tossip said:
Lebron and the Cavs put the Warriors in their place especially Klay Thompson and his douchebag dad,entitled Curry family,Speights and the annoying Warriors fans.

And of course LeBron's entitled to win HOW? After leaving unceremoniously to take his talent to Miami, to come back doesn't pacify all the ire over how it went down IMO! He's a slime-bag; him and his posse for reason expressed all over the net! :nono :cover :rolleyes:

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
tossip said:

And of course LeBron's entitled to win HOW? After leaving unceremoniously to take his talent to Miami, to come back doesn't pacify all the ire over how it went down IMO! He's a slime-bag; him and his posse for reason expressed all over the net! :nono :cover :rolleyes:
majority of these players are egocentrics..:popcorn...but Ayesha Curry,Sydel Curry,KlayThompson,Mical Thompson,Draymond and Dubnation took it to another level..
thank goodness we dont have to see Ayesha s moon face for a long time,Klay s ugly mug or Steph Curry s girly face..

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
tossip said:
Fiero425 said:
tossip said:
LeBron and the Cavs put the Warriors in their place, esp. Klay Thompson and his douchebag dad, entitled Curry family, Speights and the annoying Warriors fans.

Majority of these players are egocentrics. :popcorn...but Ayesha Curry, Sydel Curry, Klay Thompson, Michael Thompson, Draymond & Dubnation took it to another level.
Thank goodness we don't have to see Ayesha s moon face for a long time, Klay's ugly mug or Steph Curry's girly face..

If I still lived out in California, I'd be more concerned and upset with Draymond Green; the true author of this monumental collapse! He just couldn't help being suspended for game #5! :cover :eyepop

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
tossip said:
Fiero425 said:
Majority of these players are egocentrics. :popcorn...but Ayesha Curry, Sydel Curry, Klay Thompson, Michael Thompson, Draymond & Dubnation took it to another level.
Thank goodness we don't have to see Ayesha s moon face for a long time, Klay's ugly mug or Steph Curry's girly face..

If I still lived out in California, I'd be more concerned and upset with Draymond Green; the true author of this monumental collapse! He just couldn't help being suspended for game #5! :cover :eyepop
Green was beyond disgusting plus the whole team was believing their hype too much,this team deserved to be humbled.I have a feeling that some Warriors were tired of the splash sisters hype and didnt put in enough effort especially Barnes and Iggy..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Correspondent Kiu Other Sports 64