The Small Screen: TV

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I will have to check that out sometime AP. 8.1 IMDB is pretty solid and I've noted some shows in recent years that are underrated per IMDB, Ray Donovan and Billions are only 8.3 and 8.4 respectively. I'd have them high 8's personally. GOT, Breaking Bad, and The Wire are still the highest rated and I'd agree with that sentiment and in that order.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
What are you's making of this season of Homeland, lads? I wonder did they write it during the election? All of a sudden, the Muslims are to good guys, the Israelis are bad guys, a woman is president fighting against the evil Dar Adal, who's becoming the villain of the piece.

I'm enjoying it, but it's a fairly blatant and uncharacteristic switcheroo for them, no?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I haven't liked it too much really. It definitely has picked up some but it was all over the place for awhile and kind of hard to follow. And honestly it wasn't that interesting to make me want to follow it too much. It was great the past 2 years after their "way out there" phase of writing. I think the show has run its course.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It's been a strange season, alright, a bit uneven, but it's become a little pacier and clear in the narrative. It's gone a bit PC too, but sure what can you do about that?

I started to watch Billions, I think I'm up to speed, I love it! I think Chuck is one of the great misanthropes of TV, a real basket case. His missus, though...I'd watch it just for her! :heart:

7072423.jpg

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Billions is an awesome show. Chuck and Bobby are amazing characters. The show is kind of like a House of Cards except it's the stock market. There are no good-hearted characters yet most of them are likable and the dynamic is awesome. And I agree about Chuck's wife, she's a total fox.

How far are you? It's now in the middle of season 2, it's been really good.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Billions is an awesome show. Chuck and Bobby are amazing characters. The show is kind of like a House of Cards except it's the stock market. There are no good-hearted characters yet most of them are likable and the dynamic is awesome. And I agree about Chuck's wife, she's a total fox.

She's a fox, she's a honey, she's a miaow! She was Rachel Mencken in Mad Men and I loved her then. She's tough too, and love that. Everything about her! Body double though, that time in the pool, was it? :plot

I think I'm maybe 1 ep off the pace, caught up falrly fast. Sheesh, the stock market's a ruthless pitch, isn't it?

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
DarthFed said:

She's a fox, she's a honey, she's a miaow! She was Rachel Mencken in Mad Men and I loved her then. She's tough too, and love that. Everything about her! Body double though, that time in the pool, was it? :plot

I think I'm maybe 1 ep off the pace, caught up falrly fast. Sheesh, the stock market's a ruthless pitch, isn't it?

I was surprised (and sad) that it was a body double. Sometimes it's obvious but that one wasn't.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Kieran said:
DarthFed said:

I was surprised (and sad) that it was a body double. Sometimes it's obvious but that one wasn't.

I was traumatised - I needed a shrink. I looked up "Wendy Rhodes" in the phone book. :snicker

I know it hasn't got a huge fanbase here, but season 7 of The Walking Dead was long-drawn out, slow to get to the point, and when we expected it would all come together in the finale, there was a long sentimental thing between two characters who aren't major ones, and whose romance was a five minute affair - we're meant to accept it as Romeo & Juliet, feel sad, blub, wreck our popcorn - then a great action battle scene in the final 20 minutes - with the promise it'll resolve itself next year.

Lads, this coulda been all sorted quick in five episodes, not freakin 16, with more pending. There was a lack of giant zombie setpieces this season, you'd almost think their budget couldn't handle it. There were standalone episodes devoted to minor characters - which were good, not great, but when you get six of them in a row, you start to wonder where's Rick and that hot black chick, and all the original gang.

The rules of the game are simple: slice & dice, grab & stab, bash & slash, a constant threat of walkers, with villainous humans being the real horror, but this season the persistent spooky threat of stumbling upon a herd of zombies vanished to a mere murmur, and it basically became Mad Max: The Soap Opera, with the main baddie, Negan, reduced to cruel fattist wisecracks (ooh you nasty boy!) and occasional flashes of his real range of unstable viciousness. It hasn't quite jumped the shark, but even this morning in my local caff, the guy who works there, a cake-swelled comics nutjob who's way ahead of me and fills me in on incoming data relating to the comic storyline, declared himself finally disappointed by the TV show.

That, my friends, tells the whole tale right there... :nono

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Really awesome season finale from Homeland. I do feel like this could've easily been the series finale since the show has kind of run its course IMO. And we know there is no happy ending in sight for Carrie or any other big characters on the show.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Really awesome season finale from Homeland. I do feel like this could've easily been the series finale since the show has kind of run its course IMO. And we know there is no happy ending in sight for Carrie or any other big characters on the show.

Totally agree. I mean, who does Carrie spy on now? And how?

I think the show is guilty this season of reacting a little too obviously to current news, and in a not too subtle way, at that, but I enjoyed the ending. I'd hate it if Dar Adal isn't in the next season, he's fairly incredible...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
DarthFed said:

I think the show is guilty this season of reacting a little too obviously to current news, and in a not too subtle way, at that, but I enjoyed the ending. I'd hate it if Dar Adal isn't in the next season, he's fairly incredible...

I disagree about the Homeland finale..I would've preferred Carrie death instead of(spoiler alert) Rupert Friend..

I know a lot of folks including my wife who quit watching the show afterwards Brodie 's Death a few years ago.(besides Mrs Brodie was still one the hottest woman :basiate ever on any Showtime series)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
Kieran said:
DarthFed said:

there's something about her, Chuck's wife..I bet Bobby's had a resurgence Mr happy when she got naked entering into that pool. It's amazing how Bobby isn't a womanizer with all that money and power..I definitely thought the two media business consultants the chicks in the blue business outfits were amazing.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
DarthFed said:

Question is Dar Adal Peter Quinn 's biggest "admirer "..that came from left field..I think Madam a President is a Communist...

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:

I am all caught up on the episodes..I like Bobby's character..I don't think he is a bad dude but rather an amazing business tactician..I don't care for Chuckles, he is just a daddy's boy who has no chance of ever getting his wife back into the sack since she has ventured out and got herself a younger lover to take care of her needs.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
The second season has none of the bondage and S&M stuff. Chuck doesn't feel the need to crawl down a dark alley to a room with a red light on in it. He's a fabulous actor, but yeah, his missus is way out of his league. I wonder how this show will pan out...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
Kieran said:
DarthFed said:

Question is Dar Adal Peter Quinn 's biggest "admirer "..that came from left field..I think Madam a President is a Communist...

I think Homeland should call it quits now, it's run its course.

House of Cards is gonna be interesting when it returns. I mean, has any show ever been so overtaken by real events as this one? It can't match up to reality, and although I always felt that Frank and Claire are loosely based on the Clintons, it's just impossible to see how they can make this season dramatic, when so many people are dog tired of American politics. Also, they're still fighting the 2016 election in the show. It's like this season could be a trainwreck...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ That's one way to look at it. The other might be that the clownish US election will help add even more spice to the show. I thought it rebounded well last year after a fairly tame season 3. There figure to be some good fireworks.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
DarthFed said:

I am all caught up on the episodes..I like Bobby's character..I don't think he is a bad dude but rather an amazing business tactician..I don't care for Chuckles, he is just a daddy's boy who has no chance of ever getting his wife back into the sack since she has ventured out and got herself a younger lover to take care of her needs.

Got to disagree man, Chuck is amazing. Tremendous actor and character, and the show really reminds me of HOC except its the stock market instead of politics. There are no "good guys" yet it's pretty easy to like both of the main guys, and the other characters such as Chuck's wife, even as they try to rip each other apart.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
DarthFed said:
the AntiPusher said:
DarthFed said:

Got to disagree man, Chuck is amazing. Tremendous actor and character, and the show really reminds me of HOC except its the stock market instead of politics. There are no "good guys" yet it's pretty easy to like both of the main guys, and the other characters such as Chuck's wife, even as they try to rip each other apart.

I didn't say that Chuck is a bad character, great job by Paulie G.. These two characters are polar opposites this is true.. but Bobby is too powerful.. Chuck is like a fly buzzing around the behind of the big elephant Bobby.. Do you think that Chuck is gonna get that wife back:basiate..although I know they have that whole freakydeaky sex encounters