The Rankings Thread (ATP)

tented

Administrator
Reactions
We've had a few threads about various players' rankings, but not one for rankings in general, so I'll start one. Feel free to contribute anything rankings-related, about any player.

This will give you an idea of how random it can be:

Every now and then, I like to scan the rankings and see who moved up or down 10 or more spots. I just noticed that Kubot jumped 68 places, up to No. 62. I'm sure it's happened, but off the top of my head, I can't remember anyone ever moving up that many spots at once within that section of the top 100 (vs. guys who jump that many, only to land just within the Top 100, as opposed to getting up to No. 62). Of course, now he'll have to defend all of those points at next year's Wimbledon.

I also see Verdasco moved up 19 places, to No. 35 (although his "live" ranking is now 34 because of his wins this week).

Also interesting are guys within the Top 100 who hit a new career high:

Janowicz - No. 17
Zemlja - No. 44
Brands - No. 53
Sijsling - No. 55
Donskoy - No. 65
De Schepper - No. 68
Sock - No. 84
Vesely - No. 89
Kudla - No. 90
Johnson - No. 97

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
What amazes me is that the highest ranked player from Sweden, with all the tradition of tennis excellence, is ranked 497 ! I wish there was someone from there in the forum to explain what is going on with the program. I mean, this is the country of Borg, Edberg, Wilander....

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As herios mentioned in the Stuttgart thread, Bautista Agut also reaches a career high this week, #48, (and yes, he is the youngest Spaniard in the top 100, at 25.) I counted 13 Spaniards in the top 100, and 13 Frenchmen. They have been the two countries with the most players in the top 100 for a few years now. However, the number is slightly down, and most of those players for each country are closer to sell-by date than not. Not sure what it means, but I mention.

It might also be a good time to remind people of this site for live rankings:

http://live-tennis.eu

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
tented said:

Janowicz - No. 17
Zemlja - No. 44
Brands - No. 53
Sijsling - No. 55
Donskoy - No. 65
De Schepper - No. 68
Sock - No. 84
Vesely - No. 89
Kudla - No. 90
Johnson - No. 97

And I caught you with an omission (probably the most significant):

Ferrer No.3

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
herios said:
tented said:

Janowicz - No. 17
Zemlja - No. 44
Brands - No. 53
Sijsling - No. 55
Donskoy - No. 65
De Schepper - No. 68
Sock - No. 84
Vesely - No. 89
Kudla - No. 90
Johnson - No. 97

Ferrer No.3

I thought that happened last week, but still worth mentioning. Career high. David is tennis's Iron Man!

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
herios said:
tented said:

Janowicz - No. 17
Zemlja - No. 44
Brands - No. 53
Sijsling - No. 55
Donskoy - No. 65
De Schepper - No. 68
Sock - No. 84
Vesely - No. 89
Kudla - No. 90
Johnson - No. 97

Ferrer No.3

I thought that happened last week, but still worth mentioning. Career high. David is tennis's Iron Man!

No, it happened this week on Monday, as all the changes tented posted as well, the Monday following the end of Wimby.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
herios said:
Moxie629 said:
herios said:
tented said:

Janowicz - No. 17
Zemlja - No. 44
Brands - No. 53
Sijsling - No. 55
Donskoy - No. 65
De Schepper - No. 68
Sock - No. 84
Vesely - No. 89
Kudla - No. 90
Johnson - No. 97

Ferrer No.3

No, it happened this week on Monday, as all the changes tented posted as well, the Monday following the end of Wimby.

Oops! Thank you for correcting my mistake, Herios. That really was a bad one. :blush:

tented

Administrator
Reactions
I think if Delbonis were to win tomorrow, on Monday he would go from 114 to 41. Now THAT'S a rankings jump.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
I think if Delbonis were to win tomorrow, on Monday he would go from 114 to 41. Now THAT'S a rankings jump.

Wow. And that would get him into the main draw at the USO. Well, he still has to beat Fognini, though, and Fabio looks very ready for the title.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Moxie629 said:
tented said:

Wow. And that would get him into the main draw at the USO. Well, he still has to beat Fognini, though, and Fabio looks very ready for the title.

True, but even if he loses, he'll go up to No. 64. I'm not sure what his schedule is between now and the USO, but he could easily gain more. Getting within the top 32 is probably out of reach, but at least he will get direct entry into the USO, and not have to worry about qualifying.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
Moxie629 said:
tented said:

True, but even if he loses, he'll go up to No. 64. I'm not sure what his schedule is between now and the USO, but he could easily gain more. Getting within the top 32 is probably out of reach, but at least he will get direct entry into the USO, and not have to worry about qualifying.

Oh, good! That's all that matters, at this point. I definitely have him on my list of up-and-comers to look out for.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Delbonis is doing his best Jerzy Janowicz impression, although realistically I think his upside is more like a #20-30 player.

reddy

Reactions
Moxie629 said:
tented said:
Moxie629 said:
tented said:

Oh, good! That's all that matters, at this point. I definitely have him on my list of up-and-comers to look out for.

The entry deadline is 6 weeks prior to a tournament. His Hamburg or subsequent performances won't help him get a direct entry. Delbonis will be in the alternate list with his 114 ranking and can make the main draw only if about 10 players drop out. Barring a Wildcard, his likely route to USO main draw will have to be through qualies.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
reddy said:
Moxie629 said:
tented said:
Moxie629 said:
tented said:

The entry deadline is 6 weeks prior to a tournament. His Hamburg or subsequent performances won't help him get a direct entry. Delbonis will be in the alternate list with his 114 ranking and can make the main draw only if about 10 players drop out. Barring a Wildcard, his likely route to USO main draw will have to be through qualies.

Oh, shoot! I forgot about the six week cut-off, but thanks for the reminder. Maybe they'll give him a wildcard based on his results this week.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
The best "jumper" this week was Dr. Ivo Karlovic, who gained 68 ranking spots, from 155 to 87.
Delbonis was next, with 49 spots, down to 65 and Falla was third, with 39 down to 83, following his final in Colombia.
Fabio makes the top 20 for the first time in his career and Monaco drops 10 down to 30.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Four players reached a new career high this week (Herios already mentioned two, but I'll group all four together):

Fognini -- 19
Anderson -- 21
Bautista Agut -- 48
Delbonis -- 65

tented

Administrator
Reactions
New career highs for this week:

Fognini (again!) -- 16
Brands -- 52
Delbonis (again!) -- 63

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
And Robredo gets to #23, a place he hasn't seen since April 2010. I translated a piece about it for the front page, which also lists where the current Spaniards are, FYI. Amazingly, this makes Tommy the #4 ranked Spaniard.

http://www.tennisfrontier.com/blogs/tommy-robredo-gets-back-his-highest-ranking-in-3-years/

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:

Fognini (again!) -- 16
Brands -- 52
Delbonis (again!) -- 63

God bless you if you are going to try to keep track of this on a weekly basis. Even just seeing a summary once in awhile is interesting. Congrats to the 3 listed above

tented

Administrator
Reactions
DarthFed said:
tented said:

Fognini (again!) -- 16
Brands -- 52
Delbonis (again!) -- 63

God bless you if you are going to try to keep track of this on a weekly basis. Even just seeing a summary once in awhile is interesting. Congrats to the 3 listed above

That's my intention. I just hope I remember. (Send me a PM if I forget. Seriously.)

I also think it's interesting, so I'm glad you do, too. It's fun to keep track of guys who are on their way up, instead of always focussing on the top 4.