The Music Box

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This Bobster song is a masterpiece. Live version features folk music queen Joan Baez singing in the background -

Reactions: britbox and Bert

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Bobster's Milk cow's Calf Blues is so reminiscent to Elvis Presley's Sun records of Milkcow Blues Boogie.

Here's the King circa 1955- "Hold it Fella's. That Don't Moove me. Let's get real real going for a change" -

Reactions: britbox

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Very saddened and stunned to hear of the death of singer/actor/writer Jon English, aged 66.
I know that Jon is not well known outside of Oz but he had recorded a stream of popular classics, some of which he had written. Old Black Eyes he was affectionately nicknamed. Perhaps his most popular was 'Hollywood Seven' from the year 1976 -

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Now this is the original by Vicki Lawrence (1973). I like some of her stuff but to me, Jon's rendition is by a far more superior, dramatic performance. Vicki's by contrast leaves something to be desired -

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Back to Bob Dylan, found this alternate take (first version) of 'Hurricane'. This is a sublime version but done in a slower arrangement. Great vocals by Bobster and his musicians. Particularly the violin. Dylan is the supreme master. Be great if Dylan and Sony Music, for their next Bootleg Series made up a multi-disc of his two 70's classic albums, Desire and Blood on the Tracks.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hey why only 3 ? LOL...

Hurricane
Ballad of a Thin Man
Like a Rolling Stone

All three records represent his 'storytelling' skill as a composer/ musician that became his benchmark.

Never tire of listening to the aforementioned records (and the alternate takes).

Reactions: Moxie

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Leaving Bobster (for now) I found this very cool Radio Interview involving John Lennon (another gifted writer) from the year 1975.
Back then, he was promoting his new record 'Stand by Me' and the album of Rock n Roll Standards as a wholeas well as some of the artists (including David Bowie) of the day. Lennon the DJ , even reading live commercials.
Quite hilarious stuff. This is part 1 (of 3) -

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hey britbox, Have you seen the beatles bible online ? It has lots of detailed information on every Beatles song (and some that were not released, except on bootleg). Been looking up 'Child of Nature' which Lennon would re-write the lyrics to 'Jealous Guy'.
http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Rod Stewart recorded 'Jealous Guy' in 1972 with the Faces but record was never released.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Hey britbox, Have you seen the beatles bible online ? It has lots of detailed information on every Beatles song (and some that were not released, except on bootleg). Been looking up 'Child of Nature' which Lennon would re-write the lyrics to 'Jealous Guy'.
http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/

Hi Robert, No but will check it out... and will pass on the info to my wife, who is also a Beatles (and Elvis) fan. Thanks for the link.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Good on you britbox. Think the reason why John did not release Child of Nature back in 1968 was the Beatles had a similar record called 'Mother Nature's son' on the White Album. Lennon of course kept the melody and re-wrote new lyrics thee years later for his famous solo album, 'Imagine'.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Bob's 1962 demo of 'Tomorrow is a long Time'. Strangely enough, Dylan has never recorded an official studio master of this classic song. There's the demo version that came out a few years ago, and there's a sublime live version ( April 12, 1963 Town Hall, New York) on "Greatest Hits Volume 2. (Released in 1971)" But no studio recording exists.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Luckily the live version (Recorded, 1963, released in 1971) it's on Vimeo.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Best ever rendition belongs to the King (acknowledged by the Bobster). But Elvis chose not to promote this exquisite record. It became an album extra for his movie soundtrack 'Spinout' back in 1966. Lots of other singers and duos recorded the Dylan tune. But not one comes close to the King -

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
@Robert Zimmerman Oy, so gorgeous, both! I rather prefer the Dylan one, on this song, but I love that you've made the connection. Dylan's was the folk version, Elvis's the blues one, but the song does owe to the Blues. Not everyone gets both Dylan and Elvis.

Vince Evert

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yes well put moxie. You know your stuff. Interestingly neither Dylan or Elvis chose to promote the song but for different reasons. I think in Bob's case it was meant only as a demo taped, not for himself to record, but for the publisher Witmark and Sons as Bob had a writers contract in 1962-1963. That's the only thing I can think of. The folk duo Ian and Sylvia first recorded Tomorrow is a Long Time as a commercial recording in 1963.