The Music Box

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Let's bring the music thread back over. Last night I saw The Flatlanders at Carnegie Hall. If you've never heard Jimmie Dale Gilmore's reedy tenor or Joe Ely's muscular guitar, you are missing something. They are the godfathers of alt.country.

Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIgg_QjJCxQ

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIgg_QjJCxQ[/video]

Just to let you know that you can embed video links in a post. When you create a post there is a little TV icon on your editor toolbar (it's the furthest to the right).

Cheers, BB

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Neil Young - Like a Hurricane
Live version from the album Live Rust

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KxiEjPCXA8[/video]

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Mozart, Posthorn Serenade K320, performed by the Berlin Philharmonic, conducted by Karl Bohm...

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
Mozart, Posthorn Serenade K320, performed by the Berlin Philharmonic, conducted by Karl Bohm...

Mozart + BPO + Bohm = I'll have to find that recording.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
tented said:
Kieran said:

I love the old Posthorn Serenade. Two beautiful movements for flute and oboe, the flute part performed here by James Galway... :)

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Back to listening to Aja, by Steely Dan. LORD how I love that album. The bass track on "Peg" and the drumming by Steve Gadd on "Aja" are simply sublime.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
shawnbm said:
Back to listening to Aja, by Steely Dan. LORD how I love that album. The bass track on "Peg" and the drumming by Steve Gadd on "Aja" are simply sublime.

Hi Shawn,

Have you seen the documentary about the making of "Aja"? It's quite good:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8GwEX7nn6o[/video]

One of the more interesting sections is when they discuss recording the bass and solo-guitar tracks for "Peg" (including previewing bits of discarded guitar solos).

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
tented said:
shawnbm said:

Hi Shawn,

One of the more interesting sections is when they discuss recording the bass and solo-guitar tracks for "Peg" (including previewing bits of discarded guitar solos).

I have seen a part of it and look forward to seeing the entire show one day. I believe snippets of it are on YouTube, no? I will seek it out and watch it one day in the near future. Thanks.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
shawnbm said:
tented said:
shawnbm said:

Hi Shawn,

I have seen a part of it and look forward to seeing the entire show one day. I believe snippets of it are on YouTube, no? I will seek it out and watch it one day in the near future. Thanks.

You're welcome.

(The video I've embedded above is from YouTube. If you click on the "YouTube" logo in the bottom right, you can watch it through them, instead of watching it here.)

tented

Administrator
Reactions
Kieran said:
tented said:
Kieran said:

I love the old Posthorn Serenade. Two beautiful movements for flute and oboe, the flute part performed here by James Galway... :)

Is this the one you have:

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Nachtmusik-Serenata-notturna-Posthorn/dp/B000001GYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366340870&sr=8-1&keywords=mozart+posthorn+bohm

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
That's it, buddy. My favourite on those discs is the Posthorn Serenade. It has seven movements, and some gorgeous scoring for wind in the 3rd and 4th movements, and a hugely expressive slow set straight after them. He took some movements away from this later so it could be performed as a symphony, too, but it works better in all it's glory...

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Tented-

I can not thank you enough for putting that piece on the making of "AJA" on this site. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed listening and watching that YouTube piece on Steely Dan. What a great album and group of musicians. Thanks again.

tented

Administrator
Reactions
shawnbm said:
Tented-

I can not thank you enough for putting that piece on the making of "AJA" on this site. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed listening and watching that YouTube piece on Steely Dan. What a great album and group of musicians. Thanks again.

You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It is a great album. I listened to the whole thing yesterday, and now can't stop thinking about the title track. Such a great song.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdoC3HaNEvU[/video]

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well, with the passing of The Possum, I have been cranking up all my ol' George Jones tunes. I started off with one of his very best--The Race Is On.

A

Alex

To those of you who posted about Steely Dan, I recommend checking out their two albums from the 00s (especially Two Against Nature) if you haven't done so already. It's unfortunate that nostalgia causes them to get overlooked. It's also unfortunate that they exist in the minds of many as the band behind their early hits like Do It Again, Reelin in the Years, and Dirty Work, which are all OK songs but (IMO) don't hold a candle to the songs on later albums like Royal Scam, Aja, and Gaucho.

Reactions: shawnbm

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Iggy Pop was on Colbert tonight...surprising.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bLOjmY--TA[/video]

shawnbm

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Alex said:
To those of you who posted about Steely Dan, I recommend checking out their two albums from the 00s (especially Two Against Nature) if you haven't done so already. It's unfortunate that nostalgia causes them to get overlooked. It's also unfortunate that they exist in the minds of many as the band behind their early hits like Do It Again, Reelin in the Years, and Dirty Work, which are all OK songs but (IMO) don't hold a candle to the songs on later albums like Royal Scam, Aja, and Gaucho.

I have Two Against Nature and very much liked it, although it is almost too pristine a sound at times. "How About a Kiss for your Cousin Dupree" was kind of along the lines of "Everyone's Gone to the Movies" from The Royal Scam--risque/taboo with a wink. :blush: I also love and listen often to Gaucho.

A

Alex

shawnbm said:
Alex said:

I have Two Against Nature and very much liked it, although it is almost too pristine a sound at times. "How About a Kiss for your Cousin Dupree" was kind of along the lines of "Everyone's Gone to the Movies" from The Royal Scam--risque/taboo with a wink. :blush: I also love and listen often to Gaucho.

I believe "Movies" is actually on a different album, but there's a really great "risque/taboo with a wink" (love the description, very perfect) song on Royal Scam called "Everything You Did." One of my favorite Dan songs. Maybe you were thinking of that one. I could go on and on about SD but I'll stop here... :angel:

Reactions: shawnbm