The Movie Reel

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm watching Hero, the Jet Li flick. But I keep stopping to google and check websites and fiddle with my phone. I mean, this is a slow and pompous film. Just bloody fight, you fools! Quit the ballet and the slow-mo and the silliness and start chop-sockying each other about. I'm beginning to sniff a dubious message at its core too... :nono

dante1976

Futures Player
Reactions
Riotbeard said:
This documentary was incredible. Last time I checked it was on netflix.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNp0AuPiZ3Y[/video]

Meh...
That kids are well dressed, pierced, driving skateboards, playing football, enjoying fireworks and roller-coasters... one of them is actually fat!?
Real poverty don't look like that. There are no fat people and roller-coasters in real poverty ;)
That is just typical "wanna be pathetic/made in usa" stuff.
There are millions of ppl around the world that are actually dying of starvation with no chance to get on a car/bus/train/plane into the closest "big city" and "start over" ;)

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Straight Outa Compton was quite a movie experience.. I hope and it should be well received by the Academy but we all know that they will find a way to not give its proper recognition because its they way they are about this type of movie. Too bad, truly stellar performances and well casted.

Kirijax

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Watching The Amazing Spider-man finally.

Andy Murray is surprisingly good.

tumblr_m7bnk47lMN1rv22u7o1_500.jpg

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I watched The Family last night, Robert de Niro and Michelle Pfeiffer are in it, a Mafia man and his family in witness protection in Normandy, France, pursued by baddies who he grassed on. It's meant to be a dark comedy, I think, but it was more dark than comic, if you get my drift, with excessive violence played for laughs early on. But it wasn't too bad. De Niro wasn't going through the motions, he was actually acting, and the film benefited. Great ending to it, too...

Riotbeard

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't want to make everyone jealous but I bought an Hellraiser/The Prophesy 11 movie pack for 10$ at the grocery store the other day.

I love bad movies...

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I went to see Everest at the weekend. Reasonable film, but I saw a TV movie a year or so ago which I thought was better.

Rating: 6.5/10

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm watching Gladiator again, first time since I saw it in the cinema and was unimpressed.

25 minutes in and I'm gonna give up again for another fifteen years... :nono

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I know my tastes don't jibe with most on these forums, but I just saw "Carol," which is incredibly beautiful and about the swooniest romance to come along in ages.  Also, I loved "Spotlight," which is the "All the President's Men" of this generation.  Smart script and great ensemble cast.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Never been a Star Wars fan (I've literally seen one of the movies and can't even remember which0 but with all the fanfare regarding the one currently playing in the theatres, I might give the series a try.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm booked into see it on Christmas Eve.  I was a big fan of the first two made (now Episode IV - A New Hope and Episode V - Empire Strikes Back).  I thought Lucas jumped the shark with Return of the Jedi and all the stupidity with the Ewoks.  That was when Gary Kurtz left the production team - his reason: apparently after Lucas made Raiders of the Lost Ark with Spielberg, he decided people were more into action than storyline and Lucas was also focused on selling merchandising. The prequels were generally crap.  I've heard good things about the new movie, so hoping it returns back to it's roots.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
REALLY looking forward to The Hateful Eight and The Revenant.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
britbox said:
I’m booked into see it on Christmas Eve. I was a big fan of the first two made (now Episode IV – A New Hope and Episode V – Empire Strikes Back). I thought Lucas jumped the shark with Return of the Jedi and all the stupidity with the Ewoks. That was when Gary Kurtz left the production team – his reason: apparently after Lucas made Raiders of the Lost Ark with Spielberg, he decided people were more into action than storyline and Lucas was also focused on selling merchandising. The prequels were generally crap. I’ve heard good things about the new movie, so hoping it returns back to it’s roots.
I agree with this, and @broken_shoelace, if you want to just watch 2, I'd watch the original Star Wars, and its sequel, The Empire Strikes Back, one of the rare great follow-ups. I've skipped some of the others, but am keen to see the new one. So you've seen it now, @britbox? How'd you like it?

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie said:
britbox wrote:
I’m booked into see it on Christmas Eve. I was a big fan of the first two made (now Episode IV – A New Hope and Episode V – Empire Strikes Back). I thought Lucas jumped the shark with Return of the Jedi and all the stupidity with the Ewoks. That was when Gary Kurtz left the production team – his reason: apparently after Lucas made Raiders of the Lost Ark with Spielberg, he decided people were more into action than storyline and Lucas was also focused on selling merchandising. The prequels were generally crap. I’ve heard good things about the new movie, so hoping it returns back to it’s roots.
I agree with this, and @broken_shoelace, if you want to just watch 2, I’d watch the original Star Wars, and its sequel, The Empire Strikes Back, one of the rare great follow-ups. I’ve skipped some of the others, but am keen to see the new one. So you’ve seen it now, @britbox? How’d you like it?

I really liked it, it's kind of taken Star Wars back to it's roots... a bit more edgy and dark than some of the recent episodes. Won't throw any spoilers in but it's also set things up nicely for the next movie.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
brokenshoelace said:
REALLY looking forward to The Hateful Eight and The Revenant.
I'm still looking forward to The Revenant, and I just got back from The Hateful Eight. Saw it in 70mm, because I could, and it's now rarer than a hen's tooth, but I don't know that it matters, as long as the framing holds. It's a rip-snorter. Very Tarantino, with more than a little Leone (always), Agatha Christie/Clue game, and a nod to "Carrie." He manages some political points, as well. Stylish, gruesome, funny and smart. I sometimes wish I could like Tarantino less than I do, because I wish he'd make more grown-up films like "Jackie Brown." But I generally admire his films, in spite of myself, and I almost always really enjoy them. (Good on him that he telegraphs the violence so you can look away if you must, and I do.)

Allow me a nerdy filmmaker note: the use of the 70mm framing was brilliant, even if (or perhaps because of) the generally claustrophobic setting.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I thought Star Wars was very good.  Worthy of the originals.  Can't say I was thrilled about the demise of a certain character but that's the only minor and kind of selfish complaint.  I'm hoping to see the Revenant too, it looks very good.

Never got around to seeing the recent Bond movie or the last Hunger Games. Will have to catch those later.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Loved The Revenant. Absolutely loved it. Ending was a bit rushed and maaaaaaaybe it fell apart a tad towards the end, but it was still fantastic.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
I have yet to see 'Carol' though it is certainly on my movie list to see.I recently saw 'Spotlight' which has a great cast,to date it is my favorite film.I went and saw 'The Big Short" yesterday with Christian Bale,it was okay.I am not a Star Wars fan period.I have no inclination to see The Revenant,not my type of film.I also want to see The Danish Girl.

MargaretMcAleer

The GOAT
Reactions
BTW I forgot to add,when 'Spotlight' finished which was booked out by the way,everyone got up and clapped at the end of the film.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
MargaretMcAleer said:
I have yet to see ‘Carol’ though it is certainly on my movie list to see.I recently saw ‘Spotlight’ which has a great cast,to date it is my favorite film.I went and saw ‘The Big Short” yesterday with Christian Bale,it was okay.I am not a Star Wars fan period.I have no inclination to see The Revenant,not my type of film.I also want to see The Danish Girl.
I haven't seen The Revenant, yet, and I was discussing with a friend, who, like you, says it's not her kind of film. I can't speak for it, but the filmmaker is so gifted, I will see anything he makes. As is his cinematographer. That's enough for me.