Sharapova fails drug test

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
WADA is going to appeal and the decision is going to be jacked up to three years...no one thought she would get two years and they are going to make her an example.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Based on what GSM says above, the two year ban should hold. A reduction after the info revealed in the 33 page document will cause an eruption. I doubt WADA will get involved because two years are not utterly out of line.

Based on everything that has been discovered in the trial, Pova would have been better off if she announced her retirement instead of the doping result. Until the findings of the trial were released, there were people naive enough to think it was a simple mistake. Now nobody can defend her, not even her most steadfast fans. All they can do is claim that the drug should not have been added to the banned list. Pova has been proven to be a cheat, without any doubt. All of her misfortune stems from her arrogance, believing ITF would not be able to hurt her. She was proven wrong, and true tennis fans who have had to be subjected to all her antics are applauding the outcome.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
if I am a player with Eisenbud as my Agent I will drop him,he condoned and enabled doping so if I was Madison Keys I will be shopping for another Agent..

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
tossip said:
if I am a player with Eisenbud as my Agent I will drop him,he condoned and enabled doping so if I was Madison Keys I will be shopping for another Agent..

Imagine there's a lot of that going on and quite a few agents wouldn't give a $h1t so long as they get paid a small fortune. They're not the ones putting dangerous stuff into their bodies and only care about the end result: cold, hard cash.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
James Blake does not believe Maria. Pat Cash was heard saying Maria got off lightly with 2 year ban.

Among current players, so far Fed came heavily against Maria. Caro was quite diplomatic in reacting, Konta was sympathetic, Watson was critical. Expect more reaction, one way or other, next week as more important tourneys begin.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA asks players not to talk negatively about Maira . This is the second time they are doing despite the fact that the last time (in March after Medlopova's presser) there was some backlash from the media. Their love for Maria knows no bound. :cover WTA seems to be run like a cult group. I also don't understand as to why, in this day and age, do players respect such edicts. :nono

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
WTA Asks Players Not to Speak Negatively About Banned Maria Sharapova

14puCBak0iJ3jSonLJMaczl72eJkfbmt4t8yenImKBVvK0kTmF0xjctABnaLJIm9

On the back of the International Tennis Federation (ITF) imposing a two-year ban on Maria Sharapova for failing a drug test, the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) has reportedly requested the players not to speak negatively about the Russian.

Full Story: http://www.tsmplug.com/tennis/54266/

Tennis Fan

Major Winner
Reactions
That is so ridiculous. Why? Have they ever sent this out in regards to other players? Total bull.

colleen66

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
WTA asks players not to talk negatively about Maira . This is the second time they are doing despite the fact that the last time (in March after Medlopova's presser) there was some backlash from the media. Their love for Maria knows no bound. :cover WTA seems to be run like a cult group. I also don't understand as to why, in this day and age, do players respect such edicts. :nono

Sometimes it is all about the tail wagging the dog.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
What can they do if a player speaks negatively about her? They can't actually fine anyone. It just seems silly. Regardless to what they ask, they can't shut up the ATP or former players who have been very vocal about their feelings.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
She's a convicted doper. The only people not talking negatively about her are the gullible idiots out there. Lock her up and throw away the key.

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
I mean what is she going to say that could possibly reduce her sentence. I mean all of what she presented is pretty ridiculous. I don't think there is anything she can present at this point that anyone would believe. Even the players who read the verdict are like what the fcuk, so if she gets a reduction there will definitely be an outcry from players I think.

She better be careful they do not add two more years onto her sentence.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sharapova has appealed against the ban to CAS requesting either complete annulment of the ban (dream on :snicker ) or reduction of it. All parties have agreed to some "expedited procedure" that will lead to a verdict by 18th July. Hope springs eternal. Meldopova requested expedited hearing with the hope that she can potentially play in Olympics which starts on 5th August. Maria has retained the same lawyer for the appeal also.

CAS has said it has not decided whether to hold a hearing or not. I am not sure what this means. May be they will just use the report of the ITF tribunal and all other evidences submitted in the previous hearing and just reach their own decision, instead of conducting a new hearing. That cannot possibly help Maria. I don't know why Maria in the right mind would want that.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Murray blasts Maria and does not buy the excuses . Murray was spot on when an excuse could be given to the athlete despite testing positive.

WADA has announced that it is not appealing the tribunal's decision. This means WADA thinks the punishment is reasonable considering that they could have appealed either for increasing it or for decreasing it based on their perspective.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
CAS further confirmed the parties have not decided whether or not a hearing would be held on appeal. However, "at the request of the parties, this arbitration procedure will be kept confidential and the CAS will not comment any further on this matter."

Great. So, not only we will not know the details relevant to the case, we will not even know what is the procedure that will be used. Sounds very shady. :nono

At least with respect to the ITF tribunal, the procedure that they will follow was not kept secret, even if the actual hearing was conducted in secrecy.

This secrecy probably indicates that Meldopova might have "bought" the judges and they are keeping it secret to prevent a public outcry if they come up with a drastically different decision. :cover

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
CAS further confirmed the parties have not decided whether or not a hearing would be held on appeal. However, "at the request of the parties, this arbitration procedure will be kept confidential and the CAS will not comment any further on this matter."

Great. So, not only we will not know the details relevant to the case, we will not even know what is the procedure that will be used. Sounds very shady. :nono

At least with respect to the ITF tribunal, the procedure that they will follow was not kept secret, even if the actual hearing was conducted in secrecy.

This secrecy probably indicates that Meldopova might have "bought" the judges and they are keeping it secret to prevent a public outcry if they come up with a drastically different decision. :cover

If her ban is reduced people should boycott her matches and I'd like to personally find out her address and deliver 500 tons of dry aged horse manure to her doorstep. Miserable cheating cow. Munch on some Meldonium induced dopapova sweets and enjoy your misery off tour and then retire and do us all a favour.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think they know given the information that has been put out in regard to her case that any reduction of her ban will not look favorable. There is nothing in the evidence that she provided that looks favorable to her that shows that she deserves a reduction. Any reduction will probably be met with outcry. If Maria had any sense of decency, she would sit back, shut up, and serve her time.

I don't know what they are doing keeping it private because this will look very suspicious in light of the relative openness of the first case.