Rugby Union

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
For all fans of Rugby Union - we have the biggest event in the world going on right now.  Discuss.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
England 25 Wales 28

Amazing win for the welsh. Wales ravaged by injuries with players out of position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPgjGuc_rZ0

It means a lot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bJ1Yq1tddE

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The Springboks should qualify for the knockout stages but the loss to Japan last week must still go down as one of the greatest upsets in sporting history...

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Yeah that was great fun! Upsets are hard to come by in rugby, but this was a good one. Love the video refereeing too in this sport.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
England v Australia coming up. If England lose they are eliminated. If Australia lose then England likely progress and Australia and Wales play next week... the winner going through.

As a welshman, I hope the Aussies beat England and knock them out of their own world cup.

Alien

Reactions
As a partial upset, we won a half time against the Almighty Blacks (Pumas).

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Aussies beat England in the Pool of Death, so Wales and Australia will both go through to the Quarter Final Stages. They play the final group game to see who tops the group.

England, the hosts are out of the tournament. The only host team in Rugby world cup history not to qualify from the group stages.  :yahoo:

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
I am a fan of All Blacks, everyone playing against England and everyone coached by Eddie Jones.

Wales and Australia beating England are not upsets because both are top nations and currently ranked #2 and #3 in the world (both wins made me happy though, don't you worry about it)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rugby_Rankings

Real upset was Japan beating South Africa.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
<cite>@Mastoor said:</cite>
I am a fan of All Blacks, everyone playing against England and everyone coached by Eddie Jones.

Wales and Australia beating England are not upsets because both are top nations and currently ranked #2 and #3 in the world (both wins made me happy though, don't you worry about it)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Rugby_Rankings

Real upset was Japan beating South Africa.
Funny thing is... listening the English media - both were HUGE upsets!!

Wales and England had played 10 times since the last world cup and they'd shared 5 wins each. I'm not sure why England were labelled as massive favourites going in.  The last time that happened on a big match was in the 6 Nations Championship decider in 2013... England were made huge favourites and then got thrashed 30-3 by Wales.

Let's not forget, a lot of the welsh team were missing with injury BEFORE the match... they lost 3 more during the match... and the winning try was created by a replacement scrum half playing completely out of position on the wing.

The Aussies USUALLY beat England and most northern hemisphere teams... but in the Guardian, they picked the brains of six expert pundits and ALL OF THEM predicted England.  Again, they were thrashed.

English Media = Talking Crap.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Things are beginning to shape up for the Quarter Final pairings.

South Africa v Wales or Australia (whoever loses the final pool match between these two will meet the Springboks)

New Zealand v Ireland or France (whoever loses the final pool match between these two will meet the All Blacks)

Ireland or France (whoever wins the final pool match between them) v Argentina

Wales or Australia (whoever wins the final pool match between them) v Scotland or Japan (Scotland if they beat Samoa)

You still following this @Federberg now England have been knocked out?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Gawd yes! I've been completely focussed on it. England was a fiasco, but wasn't really surprised to be honest. This weekend promises to be a cracker. Wales v Australia and France v Ireland, I'll be buying a crate of Old Speckled Hen and settling in for the show!

Australia look like the form team to be honest, but what is really interesting is to see who loses the France-Ireland match. The loser has to play the All Blacks, so both are going to really go for it in this match.

The most interesting thing to me is the fact that no one is paying much attention to Argentina. I think this is a huge mistake. The way those guys move the ball around now, they may well be on a par with any northern hemisphere team. They always had the forwards but now they are playing good phase ball. It wouldn't shock me if it's an all southern hemisphere  semis.

Btw.. I went to the All Blacks v Argentina at Wembley. It was awesome!

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
<cite>@Federberg said:</cite>
Gawd yes! I've been completely focussed on it. England was a fiasco, but wasn't really surprised to be honest. This weekend promises to be a cracker. Wales v Australia and France v Ireland, I'll be buying a crate of Old Speckled Hen and settling in for the show!

Australia look like the form team to be honest, but what is really interesting is to see who loses the France-Ireland match. The loser has to play the All Blacks, so both are going to really go for it in this match.

The most interesting thing to me is the fact that no one is paying much attention to Argentina. I think this is a huge mistake. The way those guys move the ball around now, they may well be on a par with any northern hemisphere team. They always had the forwards but now they are playing good phase ball. It wouldn't shock me if it's an all southern hemisphere  semis.

Btw.. I went to the All Blacks v Argentina at Wembley. It was awesome!
Great stuff mate - I went to a few back in 99 when Wales hosted it and the Millenium Stadium was all shiny and new.  I've got a gut feeling that the All Blacks aren't going to win it.  I don't think Argentina will though - they have vastly improved but still probably a step too far right now.

I obviously want Wales to win it but don't think we will....  Ireland were my dark horses at the start of the tournament, but the Aussies are playing well and you can never overlook the Springboks despite the Japanese result.  By the way @Alien - how much coverage is this getting in Argentina and what's the popularity of Rugby over there?

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I don't think Argentina will win it either, I was just saying that they are vastly under-rated.

I agree the All Blacks look a bit wobbly so far. If I was to put money on any side it would be Australia. If really feel for Wales, the whole injury thing has been ridiculous for them. The one plus point for the All Blacks is that they have room to improve and their performances mean they won't be taking anything forgranted. If they manage to find their A game they'll win the whole thing, the question is will they?

I think their match against Georgia was fascinating. Georgia play a little bit like France, with powerful forwards, in fact I think their front row all play for top French sides, Brive and Toulon. In a funny way, that match might be the one that makes sure the All Blacks find another gear. In any case the tournament has been hugely interesting so far.

Alien

Reactions

Huge coverage in Argentina. Same in whatever sport we do well, like football, sometimes tennis, female hockey, rugby as well. We tend to believe we are as good as the former 5 Nations, certainly below the former Tri Nations.

Argentina suffered against Tonga, no matter the final result. I dont think they are a candidate. They will probably lose in quarters as always, or maybe SF if we are very lucky.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
<cite>@britbox said:</cite>
@Mastoor By the way, what's your beef with Eddie Jones?
I always thought he was the most cunning of all the rugby coaches. I never understood the unjust treatment he had in his home country after they fired him from the wallabies. I am happy to see every his success since like when he won world cup with Springboks 8 years ago.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
I don't know if I told you an anecdote from 4 years ago when we had World Cup here. I took my child to the pool one morning and I was about to file the bags when I heard "Dad, see this." I turned and only then I saw that the pool was full of some huge men walking up and down the pool. We realised that there's no swimming for us (not that I wouldn't be able to tackle couple of dozen men of my own size outside the pool ;-) ) so we went to the reception where they told us that's Welsh team recovering from the match night before (the match that we watched).

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Real Top Quality Test Match between Wales and Australia.  Wales dominated possession and territory but just couldn't get the ball over the line.  Four times they were held up over the line and not being able to ground the ball.  Incredible Aussie defence... especially for those 7 or 8 minutes where they had 2 players in the sin bin... repelling wave after wave of welsh attack.

Must be one of the best try-less matches...

Anyway, Wales will now have to take on the Springboks next week in the Quarter Finals.  Australia have Scotland.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
<cite>@Mastoor said:</cite>
I always thought he was the most cunning of all the rugby coaches. I never understood the unjust treatment he had in his home country after they fired him from the wallabies. I am happy to see every his success since like when he won world cup with Springboks 8 years ago.
Ah, ok - I thought your original post meant you didn't like him.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Down to the final 8 and the knockout stages:

South Africa v Wales

New Zealand v France

Ireland v Argentina

Australia v Scotland

Interested to here your thoughts @Alien and @Federberg

Mine are this:

Wales will edge out South Africa.

New Zealand will JUST beat France.  France are the All Black's nemesis at Rugby World Cups, but the All Blacks should prevail.  Lightning can't strike three times in one place? or can it?

Ireland to edge out Argentina in a close battle.

Australia to run up some points v Scotland.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
britbox Other Sports 4
Federberg Other Sports 3