Rankings (WTA)

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I hear Serena's shoulder is badly injured. I hope her team can get her back together in time for USO. This explains her loss to Svitolina. It was hard to watch that match. Serena could hardly do anything right.

delPoFearhand

Futures Player
Reactions
Thanks for the welcome! I was checking out various online tennis forums after delPo's upset of Djokovic, and this one seemed to be the most... sane, so I joined in here. I picked the name to commemorate his performance. And his forehand is downright scary.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
There are several very knowledgeable posters on this forum so you made a great choice joining.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
10isfan said:
I hear Serena's shoulder is badly injured. I hope her team can get her back together in time for USO. This explains her loss to Svitolina. It was hard to watch that match. Serena could hardly do anything right.

Serena just took a WC to play in Cincy:clap:clap.. Her streak will continue :clap

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
GameSetAndMath said:
It is rumored that Serena will skip Cincy and play straight at USO. This is bad news considering that Serena needs to remain at #1 till end of Sep. to break Steffi's record of consecutive weeks at #1. Serena is now so close to that record. Needs to hold on #1 for about a month and half or so.

Only players who can oust here are Kerber, Garbine, Halep and Aga. Olympics not awarding points helped Serena in this regard.

no way she is gonna play Cincy.. I think that she just wants to win USO not so much Graf's consecutive week record, IMO

I was wrong..Serena just accepted a WC to Cincy

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
10isfan said:

Serena just took a WC to play in Cincy:clap:clap.. Her streak will continue :clap

Great, she must be reading this forum :snicker or someone must have reminded her of what is at stake here in terms of the streak.

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
delPoFearhand said:
Remember that the top seeds usually do not play until Tuesday or Wednesday (16th or 17th in this case). The top 8 seeds get a bye in the first round, I think partially because it is assumed they may have been playing in a final of some sort the week before.

As for the travel/jet lag... I mean, these are professional tennis players. That's what they do. The ones who make it to the top of the tournaments and the rankings are the ones who figure out how to manage those aspects of their life. But who knows, you may be right, and the cumulative effect could drag her down.

I would say most of the players have the travel and schedule figured out. There are quite a few who could learn a thing or two. Kerber is one of those players now that can fall into one of two categories overplays or readjusts her schedule accordingly as a top player.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
the AntiPusher said:
10isfan said:

Great, she must be reading this forum :snicker or someone must have reminded her of what is at stake here in terms of the streak.
Probably it was Tossip, Calvy or KS that reminded her:snicker.. I hope this Drake doesn't attends.. I think he distracted her last year. Last year I was able to observed Serena and her team(Patrick and Robbie) have some very excellent practice session with her. They all have great chemistry together and seem to be having fun. I think the only negative critique is that I wished they could convince her to drop her bottom and get lower to the ground when she is attempting to volley.. Otherwise pretty perfect what they drill on.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
10isfan said:

Are you sure that you know what is going on? As Serena is originally entered in this tourney, she would not need a wild card unless she actually removed her name from the list so early. I doubt she would have removed her name early even if she was not planning on playing.

Did you actually see "wild card" next to her name. If not, you cannot assume that she is actually playing as she could drop out at the last minute.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
the AntiPusher said:
10isfan said:

Are you sure that you know what is going on? As Serena is originally entered in this tourney, she would not need a wild card unless she actually removed her name from the list so early. I doubt she would have removed her name early even if she was not planning on playing.

Did you actually see "wild card" next to her name. If not, you cannot assume that she is actually playing as she could drop out at the last minute.
Well let me clarify, http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2016/08/11/serena-williams-returning-defend-ws-open-titles/88572440/

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Serena was never scheduled for Cincy. She had planned on Montreal and the Olympics. I think she planned on going far in Rio in singles and doubles hence no Cincy in her schedule. She took the wild card to enter.

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
10isfan said:

really:clap...she need to get her confidence up before the Open.Kerber is probably going to be the gold medalist,Kvitty silver and Puig BRONZE..

K

KatrinaMoore

tossip said:
the AntiPusher said:
10isfan said:

really:clap...she need to get her confidence up before the Open.Kerber is probably going to be the gold medalist,Kvitty silver and Puig BRONZE..

I think Keys will take a medal

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
GameSetAndMath said:
the AntiPusher said:

Well let me clarify, http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2016/08/11/serena-williams-returning-defend-ws-open-titles/88572440/

Thanks for the link. It was mentioned in there that the only way Serena can lose #1 ranking coming out of Cincy is for Serena to lose before QF AND Kerber to win the event.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Tenfan63 said:
tossip said:
'
the AntiPusher said:

I think Keys will take a medal

me too.. If Keys keep serving and hitting like she is going down hill, she will be "driving the bus" with her results

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
It is good to see Serena fight for her ranking. It makes you wish she hadn't skipped the fall season so she wasn't in this position, but it gives her some motivation heading into this part of the season.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Serena needs to be (continuously) ranked #1 till Sep. 19th (this is the ranking a week after USO is over) to tie Steffi and needs to be ranked (continuously) till Sep. 26th (this is two weeks after USO is over) to surpass Steffi.

A QF or better at Cincy and a W at USO will take care of everything automatically.

Serena might win a couple of matches at Cincy (thus reaching QF) and then call it quits (especially if shoulder is not still 100 percent).

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
the AntiPusher said:
GameSetAndMath said:

Thanks for the link. It was mentioned in there that the only way Serena can lose #1 ranking coming out of Cincy is for Serena to lose before QF AND Kerber to win the event.
Yw

Sundaymorningguy

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
One of the interesting things I have noticed about Serena as of late is the intangibles matter to her, so I can see why she would want to break that record. She wants anything that makes her unique and stand out. These things also help motivate and keep her in the game. It is these things people will mention when differentiating her from other key players. Depending on how she does this summer and fall she could pass Martina's total number of weeks at number 1 and depending on next year Steffi's might be a possibility. Kerber did reasonably well last fall, so she has some points to defend while Serena has nothing to defend, so if Kerber takes #1 after the US Open, then Serena should easily get it back.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Sundaymorningguy said:
One of the interesting things I have noticed about Serena as of late is the intangibles matter to her, so I can see why she would want to break that record. She wants anything that makes her unique and stand out. These things also help motivate and keep her in the game. It is these things people will mention when differentiating her from other key players. Depending on how she does this summer and fall she could pass Martina's total number of weeks at number 1 and depending on next year Steffi's might be a possibility. Kerber did reasonably well last fall, so she has some points to defend while Serena has nothing to defend, so if Kerber takes #1 after the US Open, then Serena should easily get it back.

Sure, she can get the #1 ranking back this year itself even if she loses it temporarily. However, if she lets it go before USO, that would be a huge missed opportunity at beating Steffi's record and she would never get another chance at that (even though she may still have a chance to get #23).

As far as total weeks at #1 is concerned she will definitely pass Martina. But, I am not so sure as to whether she will pass Steffi's total which stands at 377.

However, as I already argued in the GOATESS thread, IMO, Serena does not have to do anything further. She is already the Open Era Goatess as far as I am concerned.

However, if you include old times, I would not call Serena the GOATESS. Also, as I argued in that thread it is not because of MC's 24. I consider Serena to be already better accomplished than MC. It is because of Helen Wills who has lost just 3 times in GS matches in her whole career while winning 19 GS titles (and not attending a single Australian Open during her entire career, as was the custom in those days for good players). Further, she had an unbelievable six year long period (1927-1933) in which she did not lose a single match and this winning streak was 180 matches long. HWM is arguably the most dominant women's tennis player that we have seen so far.