Playing with the wrong hand

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Have one of you ever tried this? I had this on my mind for years, and now I am trying it. Everyday that I play I at least hit for 20 minutes on the wall with the "wrong" hand, which in my case is the left one.

It is crazy, in the beginning you feel like you are mentally handicapped. But it is quite fun too, it looks like an immense challenge, everything is so hard, bh is very difficult (if you do it one handed), but overheads and serve are just impossible. My wrong-forehand is already "decent", but the rest is still awful. As a bonus, it is very good for your brain (and probably useless for your game).

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, I've tried it for a laugh. Backhand like you said... no control at all just ridiculous uncontrolled slice that pretty much flies anywhere and everywhere.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
The (wrong) forehand is getting better and better. What I like about it is that it is a huge coordination challenge. The "brain" part is real, real research in neurology has shown that stimulating the right (left) side of your brain prevents Alzheimer, for example. I know this may be all over the internet, but there is actual research backing it.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The (wrong) forehand is getting better and better. What I like about it is that it is a huge coordination challenge. The "brain" part is real, real research in neurology has shown that stimulating the right (left) side of your brain prevents Alzheimer, for example. I know this may be all over the internet, but there is actual research backing it.

What's your name again?

Reactions: Moxie and mrzz

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Wait, I knew that one.... it is on the tip of the tongue...

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I forgot to mention (no pun intended) that all this other side of the brain thing is not focused on people, say, above sixty. It is the other way around, in fact.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
I am getting good at this... even the serve is starting to look like human.

When you start, the level of difficulty is something like:

Flat forehand: 1
Top spin forehand: 2
slice forehand: 4

flat bh (one handed): 3
top spin bh (one handed): 4
slice bh: 7

serve = 6.022140857 × 10^(23)

With a few weeks of practice everything is much better, I am playing faster and heavier (still mainly on the wall, though). The level of difficulty of the shots now has changed (keeping in mind that the overall level has risen):

Flat forehand: 2
Top spin forehand: 3
slice forehand: 4

flat bh (one handed): 3
top spin bh (one handed): 2
slice bh: 4

serve = 100

So, in a nutshell, the backhand starts to feel easier, in fact the top spin bh is my better wrong hand shot right now. Don´t ask me why, but the positioning is just naturally better in this case.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Guys, I can assure you that after a while this starts to become real fun. I almost to the point of challenging anyone in the world in a wrong handed match (apart from a guy who actually practiced all his life. In his case I would challenge him to a wrong leg football match).

Reactions: britbox