Other Sports - Welcome

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
This zone is for fans of sports other than tennis.

Remember, you can also create Community Groups (or both Threads and Community Groups) for sports teams, sports, favourite players etc.  If you want to run one of the existing groups that have been set up and the group is currently administered by Admin then you are welcome to request (via PM) to take it over.

Billie

Nole fan
Reactions
So if somebody wanted, let's say a topic about only Blue Jays, one could do that?  Or you need to have a baseball forum/topic first?

Mary

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
This zone is for fans of sports other than tennis.

Remember, you can also create Community Groups (or both Threads and Community Groups) for sports teams, sports, favourite players etc. If you want to run one of the existing groups that have been set up and the group is currently administered by Admin then you are welcome to request (via PM) to take it over.

Are there any Snooker fans here???? For me Ronnie O'Sullivan is one of the most skilled and charismatic
personalities around.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm a snooker fan. I agree the Rocket is amazing to watch. Used to really like watching Jimmy White too. I think my all time favourite player to watch was the Wonder-bairn when he was in his pomp. The guy was a stone cold killa!

Reactions: Mary

Mary

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I'm a snooker fan. I agree the Rocket is amazing to watch. Used to really like watching Jimmy White too. I think my all time favourite player to watch was the Wonder-bairn when he was in his pomp. The guy was a stone cold killa!

Brilliant on the table but not too keen on him as a commentator - seems a bit sour.
Snooker is so underrated as a sport. I find the tension in big matches incredible. I can't believe how they keep their hands so steady!

Would be great to have some Snooker discussion here when the big tournaments are on.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
^I'm game if you are! I don't watch quite as much as I used to, but I'm a fan :)

Same for darts, but only PDC, none of that BDO nonsense!

Mary

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
^I'm game if you are! I don't watch quite as much as I used to, but I'm a fan :)

Same for darts, but only PDC, none of that BDO nonsense!
Great, will get in touch when something interesting is on. Not a clue about darts but happy to learn!

Reactions: Federberg

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Shocking that no one's commented on any figure skating! Even I got interested in the best comp. ever at the 4 Continents Champ..a couple months ago! It had all the top male skaters of the world in this prelim before Worlds! It was a great competition with "QUADs" galore; USA's Chen with 4-6 in his LP's! :boxing: - - https://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2016/10/fan-page-evgeni-plushenko.html - -

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Four_Continents_Figure_Skating_Championships#Men - USA's Chen zoned too soon to win

- - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_World_Figure_Skating_Championships#Men - - Hanyu eased in and excelled when it counted

Reactions: Mary

Mary

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Shocking that no one's commented on any figure skating! Even I got interested in the best comp. ever at the 4 Continents Champ..a couple months ago! It had all the top male skaters of the world in this prelim before Worlds! It was a great competition with "QUADs" galore; USA's Chen with 4-6 in his LP's! :boxing: - - https://fiero4251.blogspot.com/2016/10/fan-page-evgeni-plushenko.html - -

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Four_Continents_Figure_Skating_Championships#Men - USA's Chen zoned too soon to win

- - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_World_Figure_Skating_Championships#Men - - Hanyu eased in and excelled when it counted
I have followed figure skating for years. The World Championships this year were fabulous, the skill and athleticism these people have is beyond belief. It's hard to accept Chen is only 17. Hanyu is absolutely brilliant and I am so impressed by Shoma Uno too. In the pairs Savchenko with her new partner looked wonderful. She ius a multi Olympic and World Champion, now with a new partner. To achieve such a standard with someone new is amazing.

Only thing is it's now so long to wait for the Grand Prix series in autumn.

Reactions: Fiero425

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Are there any Snooker fans here???? For me Ronnie O'Sullivan is one of the most skilled and charismatic
personalities around.

Have you been watching the snooker @Mary ? maybe we need a snooker thread. I used to follow it in the UK but not much at all in Oz, although I check out results from time to time. Mark Williams (my fav player) didn't even qualify for the World Champs this year... although he ran Selby very close in the China Open final and nearly made it.... I don't like Selby much, or John Higgins.. so rooting for the Rocket.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions

Never followed it Fiero, but don't know if you remember a double act from the UK called Torvill and Dean?

The whole country was engrossed when they went for the Olympic Gold at the LA Olympics.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
The other main memory from figure skating was when that US skater... Nancy?? tried to get one of her competitors maimed... Can't remember the details exactly. I'm a philistine when it comes to that sport. ;)

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Never followed it Fiero, but don't know if you remember a double act from the UK called Torvill and Dean?

The whole country was engrossed when they went for the Olympic Gold at the LA Olympics.

Of course I remember them, but resented when they came back to the amateur ranks with a bunch of other pro skaters in '94! All were marked down no matter how well they skated, but it was too late and now look; Plushenko has some kind of modern record with addition of new team events! ::sw1:: :suicide: :rip:

Mary

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Torvill and Dean were great but I preferred their great rivals, Besteminova and Bukin, not sure of spelling! Bukin's son is competing now and doing well. Plushenko was a great favourite of mine too, took men's skating to a new level and paved the way for Hanyu and Uno. I can't believe they do what they do, worth looking at Uno's cantilever movement which is one of his trade marks. The core strength in that is breath taking.

I agree Torvill and Dean should not have come back. Not sure why they did, it didn't work and it damaged their reputation.

Does anyone remember Slutskaya? Again, not sure of spelling. Again, despite looking like a little girl who should be skipping and going to bed early with cocoa she took women's skating to new heights.

Last edited:

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
The other main memory from figure skating was when that US skater... Nancy?? tried to get one of her competitors maimed... Can't remember the details exactly. I'm a philistine when it comes to that sport. ;)

It was Tanya Harding with her husband that put a contract out on Nancy Kerrigan to "knee-cap" her to prevent competing in the Olympic season of '94! That's what brought me back after ignoring the sport for years with the constant winning of the same people; Scott Hamilton, Brian Boitano, & of course Katarina Witt! The incident in Detroit was all over the news and I got suckered back into the sport! At least I got to know Surya Bonaly and loved her skating and athleticism which got me to take on Evgeny Plushenko as my new make fave of all time! Hanyu's a marvel and I can be hypnotized by his style and grace on the ice! :rolleyes: :yesyes: :p

Reactions: britbox

Mary

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Have you been watching the snooker @Mary ? maybe we need a snooker thread. I used to follow it in the UK but not much at all in Oz, although I check out results from time to time. Mark Williams (my fav player) didn't even qualify for the World Champs this year... although he ran Selby very close in the China Open final and nearly made it.... I don't like Selby much, or John Higgins.. so rooting for the Rocket.

We are glued to the snooker at present including the dog. Some TV shots have the ball coming straight towards the viewer and she barks like a fiend every time.

Ronnie is my great favourite, has been for years. When he is on top form it's sheer genius. I love watching sports people who are so great at what they do - inspirational. Ronnie making a big break is brilliant. If you haven't seen it have a look at his 147 in the Welsh Open, about 4 years ago.

I think Mark Selby is a lovely guy, saw a TV programme about him and his wife and they came over as such genuine people. I appreciate his brilliance but he plays too slowly for me to enjoy watching him. You can go the toilet, make a sandwich and a coffee and not have missed a shot!

I like Robertson but his game has fallen off in recent months. Liang Wenbo is great to watch, won the UK but has lost to Ding this week. I think Ronnie will beat Ding but then he probably plays Selby in the semis. I wouldn't like to predict that one! Like you I am missing Williams, whenever plays a bad match.

A snooker thread would be great for me but not sure how interesting for others. Outside Europe its not so popular although there have been great Canadian and Aussie players in the past. Federberg I know is interested but not sure who else.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Williams can still play and compete with the best when he's on song, so was pretty gutted he missed the cut. I can still see him winning a ranking tournament or two before he's done.

I hardly watch any Snooker now, largely because it's not that accessible here... so don't know many of the young guys coming through and as a result just root for the old schoolers like Williams, and if he's not playing then guys like the Rocket, McManus etc... even Wattana seems old school now.

The World Snooker website is crap for coverage and following tournaments. Hearn needs to follow the online template they used for Darts - I can follow that easily enough here...and both are run by Matchroom.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
It was Tanya Harding with her husband that put a contract out on Nancy Kerrigan to "knee-cap" her to prevent competing in the Olympic season of '94! That's what brought me back after ignoring the sport for years with the constant winning of the same people; Scott Hamilton, Brian Boitano, & of course Katarina Witt! The incident in Detroit was all over the news and I got suckered back into the sport! At least I got to know Surya Bonaly and loved her skating and athleticism which got me to take on Evgeny Plushenko as my new make fave of all time! Hanyu's a marvel and I can be hypnotized by his style and grace on the ice! :rolleyes: :yesyes: :p

Yeah, that's jogged my memory a bit and I do remember Katarina Witt too.

Mary

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Williams can still play and compete with the best when he's on song, so was pretty gutted he missed the cut. I can still see him winning a ranking tournament or two before he's done.

I hardly watch any Snooker now, largely because it's not that accessible here... so don't know many of the young guys coming through and as a result just root for the old schoolers like Williams, and if he's not playing then guys like the Rocket, McManus etc... even Wattana seems old school now.

The World Snooker website is crap for coverage and following tournaments. Hearn needs to follow the online template they used for Darts - I can follow that easily enough here...and both are run by Matchroom.

I dislike Hearn, he's an arrogant loud mouth. He has created some good tournaments but he's doing little to keep young people interested in playing, snooker clubs are rare here now. China by comparison has made a huge investment and will dominate the sport in a few years. When players like Williams and Ronnie retire the next stars will be the Chinese and UK interest will inevitably decline. Hearn is forever slating players, accuses them of whining and complaining which I find appalling - without them he would have nothing. Can't imagine the ATP criticizing their players in public as he does.

Eurosport has the best snooker coverage here, much better than BBC. They also cover skating and winter sports really well. And they have a great commentary team with McManus, Foulds and Ronnie. I'd really miss Eurosport, costs so little but has lots that interest me.

Last edited:

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I dislike Hearn, he's an arrogant loud mouth. He has created some good tournaments but he's doing little to keep young people interested in playing, snooker clubs are rare here now. China by comparison has made a huge investment and will dominate the sport in a few years. When players like Williams and Ronnie retire the next stars will be the Chinese and UK interest will inevitably decline. Hearn is forever slating players, accuses them of whining and complaining which I find appalling - without them he would have nothing. Can't imagine the ATP criticizing their players in public as he does.

Eurosport has the best snooker coverage here, much better than BBC. They also cover skating and winter sports really well. And they have a great commentary team with McManus, Foulds and Ronnie. I'd really miss Eurosport, costs so little but has lots that interest me.

Interesting about Eurosport... I can tap into it if I know what's on, so will take more notice. I agree that Hearn is an arrogant loudmouth but I don't mind him - he does put his money where his mouth is. I think he saw the Chinese market as ripe for tapping and made a good judgement call in putting tournaments there - he's also gone on record in the past indicating that the Chinese market is the future of the Sport. I actually prefer his son though, who is doing a decent job in the boxing game.