Notre-Dame Cathedral

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Such sad news today about the fire at Notre-Dame. This is tragic, and I mean it. Not all great tragedy involves loss of human life. Latest news says that some of the structure can be saved. Some of the relics and art works have been removed, but some of what is lost will be irreplaceable. @isabelle: On pleure avec toi et tout Paris, tout la France.
images.jpeg

Horsa

Equine-loving rhyme-artist
Reactions
Such sad news today about the fire at Notre-Dame. This is tragic, and I mean it. Not all great tragedy involves loss of human life. Latest news says that some of the structure can be saved. Some of the relics and art works have been removed, but some of what is lost will be irreplaceable. @isabelle: On pleure avec toi et tout Paris, tout la France.
View attachment 2068
It is indeed sad. The only real consolation is that no one was seriously hurt (except possibly that poor fireman). I hope he's going to be o.k. Please let me know if you hear anything about him before me.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
thanks for your kind messages, it's really unexpected and awful, especially just before Easter's ceremony

Reactions: kskate2 and Moxie

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
anyone been up it ?..i went up the spiral staircase in 1988, i climbed the small roof of a side turret and held onto a small spire, my dad took a pic i think, no-one minded and there were zero signs saying non.(before anyone has a go at me.)

charles laughton or any other quasimodos were nowhere to be seen. although laughton did die in 1962 so maybe thats why,,umm, yeah.

Last edited:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
anyone been uo it ?..i went up the spiral staircase in 1988, i climbed the small roof of a side turret and held onto a small spire, my dad took a pic i think, no-one minded and there were zero signs saying non.(before anyone has a go at me.)

charles laughton or any other quasimodos were nowhere to be seen. although laughton did die in 1962 so maybe thats why,,umm, yeah.
My brother and I went up. We stood on a front-facing turret, with close-up views of the gargolyes, (which is why I posted the above pic, most especially.) The stone barrier in front of us was very low, the parapet narrow, and we felt that we could topple over and splat onto the concrete below. Quasimodo or no, Notre-Dame is not without its terrors.

Reactions: JesuslookslikeBorg

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Been there too, wonderful place for sure, even if I like Chartres and Amiens even more. But the "terror" feel of Notre-Dame is quite unique indeed.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
it(s great to see Paris from the top, I enjoyed it very much and my Belgian friends too. don't know if we can do it again before 5 years

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
people want to see the same ND than before...but it seems to be impossible even if they'll rebuild it. tourists are the most sad I guess, especially US people who love ND

Reactions: tented

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
probably but do they really want it ? that's the main question..
I don't really care that much to be honest. Millions were raised already for project that is owned by an organization that is worth billions.

@JesuslookslikeBorg - no, never been.

Meanwhile, Bushfires in Australia wipe out an area the size of Belgium and 500 million animals perish. I know where my money is going and Hunchback won't be getting a pay rise.