NFL 2016-2017

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Sorry about your boys @britbox. Oakland is a rough crowd but a memorable one and they've always had great support there. I am skeptical about Las Vegas just like I am skeptical about football teams in Los Angeles. The prevailing theory of why NFL teams lack support in LA is that no one who lives in the city is from the city. The NBA is different because the Lakers have such a rich history and it's "glamorous" to sit in the good seats at the Lakers games especially if you're a celebrity. Also the arenas are much smaller than the NFL stadiums. It's not glamorous to be at a Rams or Chargers game and they lack history so there aren't many bandwagon fans to latch on.

I think we will see a similar problem in Vegas and it's going to be crazy to see the issues the players get in. This is called the National Felons League for a reason and in the offseason the clowns are let loose and often wreak havoc. It's going to be that much worse in crazy Las Vegas.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sorry about your boys @britbox. Oakland is a rough crowd but a memorable one and they've always had great support there. I am skeptical about Las Vegas just like I am skeptical about football teams in Los Angeles. The prevailing theory of why NFL teams lack support in LA is that no one who lives in the city is from the city. The NBA is different because the Lakers have such a rich history and it's "glamorous" to sit in the good seats at the Lakers games especially if you're a celebrity. Also the arenas are much smaller than the NFL stadiums. It's not glamorous to be at a Rams or Chargers game and they lack history so there aren't many bandwagon fans to latch on.

I think we will see a similar problem in Vegas and it's going to be crazy to see the issues the players get in. This is called the National Felons League for a reason and in the offseason the clowns are let loose and often wreak havoc. It's going to be that much worse in crazy Las Vegas.

I hate the whole concept of jumping town... They were the LA Raiders when I started following them but was obviously very aware of the Oakland history and was pleased they moved back to Oaktown in 95. Storied franchises shouldn't be hopping around cities whoring themselves for a stadium every twenty years.

The deal, purely on the finances is sweet. Very sweet. Las Vegas and Nevada are ponying up a lot of cash to make this happen and Mark Davis is a relative pauper in NFL ownership terms. I think the first five years will go fine in Vegas, assuming the team does OK - which based on the roster should be the case. Then the novelty will wear off... it's not a long term viable proposition... The metro area for Vegas is way smaller than the Bay Area and it's a transient population like you said.

Bad move for the Raiders, not good for the NFL... the Chargers moving to LA may be the worst thought out move of the lot, but in the longer term this might not be all that far behind. The NFL is also strangling the golden goose in some respects - not too many cities are going to stump up the cash for a relocation now, once they know a team can just pack it's bags and go elsewhere after a couple of decades.

Reactions: DarthFed

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
^ You hit the nail on the head.

It is always sad to see teams get moved in any sport. It is such a snake move and oftentimes the fans are as supportive of the team as they can be. The worst one I can remember is the Browns with Art Modell, they basically moved one of the most storied NFL franchises to Baltimore in the middle of the night.

We were facing a similar dilemma for our NBA team, the Milwaukee Bucks. Granted, this is a football and even baseball state before basketball so they don't get too great of support around here but it'd still have sucked badly for all of us who are basketball fans. Thankfully they are staying put due to the new arena being approved.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
NFL Draft started yesterday.

It's been a pretty active offseason already. @britbox 's Raiders picked up the retired Marshawn Lynch and drafted a CB. I really think they're positioned to make a good run the next few years. Could consistently be a top 2 team with the Pats in the AFC.

Packers offseason has been a disaster. They lost one of their few good players on defense, Julius Peppers. Also lost a mediocre but versatile d-back in Micah Hyde. For that secondary a mediocre player is very good sadly. Also their offensive line, one of the few strengths from last year, has taken a couple big hits, and they also need an RB. Rodgers will need to work more miracles just to get another mediocre 10 win season. Ted Thompson should've been fired years ago

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I'm liking we're trying to shore up the secondary. I know Conley was a projected first rounder so the pick seems sound. I just read a quote on NFL.com...

"You can't make that pick and be wrong because your owner is gonna hold you accountable for it if this kid ends up with any kind of jail time." -- Mike Mayock

I'm assuming this guy has had a few extra-curricular brushes with the law??

Liking the Lynch pickup a lot. He's a big upgrade over Latavius Murray. Murray's made the pro bowl but I never saw him as a stud, just an above average back. Lynch is a great pickup. I thought they'd get either Lynch or Peterson, Lynch might be a better fit for the team.

Reactions: DarthFed

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Reggie Mackenzie is doing a good job assembling this Raider team. Learnt from the master, Ron Wolf, who we both know well!

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I'm liking we're trying to shore up the secondary. I know Conley was a projected first rounder so the pick seems sound. I just read a quote on NFL.com...

"You can't make that pick and be wrong because your owner is gonna hold you accountable for it if this kid ends up with any kind of jail time." -- Mike Mayock

I'm assuming this guy has had a few extra-curricular brushes with the law??

Liking the Lynch pickup a lot. He's a big upgrade over Latavius Murray. Murray's made the pro bowl but I never saw him as a stud, just an above average back. Lynch is a great pickup. I thought they'd get either Lynch or Peterson, Lynch might be a better fit for the team.

A recent brush in which seems to be looking more and more like a money grab from a woman who is claiming he sexually assaulted her. Not that I'm jumping to conclusions but part of her story have already been shown to be lies via video she was probably not aware of.

Lynch could come back and stink but I wouldn't count on it. Peterson is done IMO, he looked really slow even before the season ending injury last year. I'm glad the Packers didn't sign him.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Not happy we took a safety unless we want to move him to CB. Safety is the only thing we don't really need on D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Federberg Other Sports 4
Fiero425 Other Sports 32
J Other Sports 34
britbox Other Sports 224
DarthFed Other Sports 116