Nadal's gonna be world #1 again!

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
Fiero425 said:
Kieran said:
I thought you are a Fedfan, Fiero?

I was, but he's well past it! I've been very disappointed with his stubborness to attack more and finish off points sooner! It makes no sense for him to hang on the baseline rallying with these kids! He's losing to players I don't even know these days! As I said earlier, I thought that was why he hired Annacone; to get him to attack the net more! :nono -

So you dumped him cos he lost a few and decamped to Djoker? :huh: What'll you do when Djoker loses a few? Vanish from sight til he wins again? :devil

Rafa will not last forever either. What is youir back-up plan? Just curious.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
herios said:
Kieran said:
Fiero425 said:
Kieran said:

I was, but he's well past it! I've been very disappointed with his stubborness to attack more and finish off points sooner! It makes no sense for him to hang on the baseline rallying with these kids! He's losing to players I don't even know these days! As I said earlier, I thought that was why he hired Annacone; to get him to attack the net more! :nono -

So you dumped him cos he lost a few and decamped to Djoker? :huh: What'll you do when Djoker loses a few? Vanish from sight til he wins again? :devil

No back up plan! Certainly neither of the above. I enjoy it when he's winning and have to suck it up when he loses. So I'm happy this year, was less so last year, and was miserable in 2011, happy about it all in 2010, and so on. Next year? Who knows!

I have no back up plan though - I didn't even think such things existed! ;)

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
herios said:
Kieran said:
Fiero425 said:
Kieran said:

WE can only hope; sooner, not later! I haven't dumped Roger, just being realistic about him winning on a consistant basis! He can hang around as long as he wants, but I'm not going to put my money on him taking a major anytime soon! Djokovic has the better chance and unlike Nadal, doesn't have the ugliest game around! I don't watch the ladies' game for that reason! After Hingis and Justine retired, they haven't been worth watching either, trying to outdo the men with mindless aggression from the baseline! Seems as if they only go to the net to shake hands and pick up a check for the most part! The only one worth watching is Aggie Radwanska! There was a time I would never miss watching a match on tv! Now if I hear the players are 2nd tier and have no real tactic besides taking the cover off the ball, I don't bother; least of all record for future viewing! I miss the different types of games and strategy that set each player apart from these current crop! Roger can catch lightning in a bottle and prove me wrong, but how often will that happen? :cry :nono - I've done the same with figure skating, baseball, and basketball when it's just unwatchable; I don't bother! I'm a true sportsjunky, but without individuality and style I bore easily!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
But Rafa has individuality! And style! Even if it's of the macho industrial strength swashbuckler variety. He's unique, and exciting too. Plus, he wins playing with his bad hand. How much more do ya need! :grin:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
But Rafa has individuality! And style! Even if it's of the macho industrial strength swashbuckler variety. He's unique, and exciting too. Plus, he wins playing with his bad hand. How much more do ya need! :grin:

Well-said, Kieran! It's just a matter of taste, isn't it. And some people's is all in their mouth. ;):snigger

JesuslookslikeBorg

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
now that rafa has regained the no 1 rank maybe this thread should be 'unstickied'..

everytime anyone comes on to mens forums the first thing they see is a thread that may be perceived as a pro-nadal thread seeing as its always here at the top..

a more neutral way would be to have the rankings thread made a sticky and let this nadal is going to be no1 again thread drift down of its own accord..

then newcomers or casual posters or viewers don't get a whole load of nadal in their faces when they might be fed/djoko/murray/anyone fanatics...

so its up to you lot 'upstairs' to decide.. but I will bump up the other ranking thread and you can decide to make it a sticky and unsticky this one..

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Moxie629 said:
Kieran said:

Well-said, Kieran! It's just a matter of taste, isn't it. And some people's is all in their mouth. ;):snigger

Nothing nauseates me more than mindless aggression, using new technology of rackets and strings, with a huge sense of entitlement! No one's worse than Nadal; challenging of calls and being wrong most of the time, taking his sweet time to even get up there for the coin flip, and the big stall with toweling off! Nole and DelPo were almost running to get back to the line to start a point in the Shanghai final today! I guess the officials are finally enforcing the time rules; a couple days ago warning Monfils who was laying on the court exhausted after a long point! Three to three and a half hour matches are ridiculous for best 2 of 3; most of that time toweling off and whining about calls! I'm still trying to recover from that 6 hour marathon at AO from last year with Nole and Rafa! I was up all night, into the day and it almost killed me; and I wasn't even playing! lol! :cry :huh: :nono

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:
now that rafa has regained the no 1 rank maybe this thread should be 'unstickied'..

everytime anyone comes on to mens forums the first thing they see is a thread that may be perceived as a pro-nadal thread seeing as its always here at the top..

a more neutral way would be to have the rankings thread made a sticky and let this nadal is going to be no1 again thread drift down of its own accord..

then newcomers or casual posters or viewers don't get a whole load of nadal in their faces when they might be fed/djoko/murray/anyone fanatics...

so its up to you lot 'upstairs' to decide.. but I will bump up the other ranking thread and you can decide to make it a sticky and unsticky this one..

Co-signed.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
And I agree. The thread served it's time and should be consigned...

Denis

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Probably your most successful thread of the year Kieran?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Denisovich said:
Probably your most successful thread of the year Kieran?

One I enjoyed, I must say, but time for it to be shifted. And now that he's gotten there, how long will he keep it? Great rearguard action from Nole. This is why tennis needs rivalries. Without them, it's far too predictable and one-sided...

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
JesuslookslikeBorg. said:

Not sure why it was stickied, but it's unstuck now.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Before everyone heads out the door tomorrow, let me leave us all with this profound memory of a thread that has traveled several forums - or is it deja vu all over again?

Rafa is gonna be #1 again... :popcorn

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
Before everyone heads out the door tomorrow, let me leave us all with this profound memory of a thread that has traveled several forums - or is it deja vu all over again?

Rafa is gonna be #1 again... :popcorn

I would say this brother Kieran, if he wins tomorrow and Rome, he will be in the Top 3. As for the number 1 ranking: I would not go that far...

I would like to see him be ranked number 2 just because two is my favorite number and he does do A LOT of damage as the second ranked player in the world ;)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
2 is your lucky number? I'd take #2 as well, if it means he wins a major or two, but I have a feeling there's a void at the top now. Novak is showing natural signs of decline, and Andy is struggling to cope with being #1.

My big worry for Rafa is that he overdoes it, as he often does. I hope he finishes the clay season as strongly as he's begun it, and gets some rest after Wimbo...

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
He'll get plenty of rest after round 2 :snicker

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I looked at the numbers and will post a more in-depth thread in the new digs, maybe after Madrid is done, but Rafa has a chance to take over #1 when Wimbledon points come off - IF he wins Rome and Roland Garros AND Andy doesn't do well for the rest of clay season. Even if Andy holds onto #1 going into Wimby, Rafa can take it by going deep as he has no points to defend and Andy has 2,000.

rafanoy1992

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Kieran said:
2 is your lucky number? I'd take #2 as well, if it means he wins a major or two, but I have a feeling there's a void at the top now. Novak is showing natural signs of decline, and Andy is struggling to cope with being #1.

My big worry for Rafa is that he overdoes it, as he often does. I hope he finishes the clay season as strongly as he's begun it, and gets some rest after Wimbo...

Brother Kieran, it seems like Nadal becoming the number 2 ranked player in the world is closer than we thought...

If Nadal wins tomorrow, wins Rome AND at least reach the Roland Garros final then he surpass Djokovic in the rankings.

It does seems a lot for Nadal but it is in his beloved Clay so he could do it.

Also, the scenario I put above is based on Djokovic playing well in Rome and Roland Garros. If Djokovic exits early in either Rome or Roland Garros then Nadal's chances of being number 2 in the world increases by a lot...

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
rafanoy1992 said:
Kieran said:

Brother Kieran, it seems like Nadal becoming the number 2 ranked player in the world is closer than we thought...

If Nadal wins tomorrow, wins Rome AND at least reach the Roland Garros final then he surpass Djokovic in the rankings.

It does seems a lot for Nadal but it is in his beloved Clay so he could do it.

Also, the scenario I put above is based on Djokovic playing well in Rome and Roland Garros. If Djokovic exits early in either Rome or Roland Garros then Nadal's chances of being number 2 in the world increases by a lot...

Rafa has feck all points to defend after Paris anyway, so #2 is doable, but I think that #1 is on! :popcorn

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Just win the slams is more important than number 1 ranked tennis player