Nadal's gonna be world #1 again!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I think on the return, it's what Rafa does in the rally that breaks. His actual return isn't better than Murray, but he's much more ruthless and efficient in the ensuing grind...

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
calitennis127 said:
NADAL2005RG said:
Nadal's backhand is more of a threat than Murray's backhand. That's why I consider it a better backhand. Now, if Nadal's backhand was inconsistent, then you could dismiss that. But Nadal's backhand is not inconsistent (its just not as consistent as Murray's backhand). And Nadal has the best backhand passing shot I've seen on the tour. And the backhand slice was the most important shot Nadal played in this year's US Open final. Nadal breaks the opponent's serve more than Murray does. Nadal holds serve better than Murray does. Nadal is a better net player than Murray. You want to argue against that, that's up to you, but has no bearing on what others believe. I couldn't care less if you don't agree with me and McEnroe.

It's well overdue that I address you. You are absolutely clueless.

Nadal's backhand is generally a very neutral shot, and compared with the better backhands in the game, it is pretty lame, aside from the rare occasions when he steps in and goes for a huge cut and executes it. That happens pretty rarely for all the hours he spends on court in his long, grind-it-out matches.

Murray has a better backhand and has a much higher ceiling for attacking tennis than Nadal does.

You don't even understand why Nadal wins. You tout him for BS reasons. You seriously think that he wins the significant events against top opponents because his game is better, which is a laughable position. His style of pulling off cheap, weasel-like victories like he did against Janowicz in Montreal, Federer in Cincinnati, and Djokovic at Montreal and the US Open owes to much different factors than you cite, and also certainly factors that you do not understand.

The first two paragraphs are Fact(Rafa backhand is generally a neutral shot, there is some validity) but you totally loose creditability with your last paragraph which is pure Fiction and utter nonsense.

Cali may be biased in some ways (describing Nadal's wins as 'cheap, weasel-like), but he knows the game a lot better than you do; however i give you that you ride the bandwagon better ...

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
huntingyou said:
Nadal's slice when used properly serve as a rythm destroyer since his topspin off the forehand couple with the flatter nature of his CC backhand can really mess with the opponents timing. Like everything with Rafa, his slice can be a killer when he has momentun behind it that usually comes after successful match play in bunches.

darth like always, explains Novak's trouble in the final with that shot from a negative perspective instead of giving credit where is due. Similar to his claim than Murray it's a better returner than Rafa when is Rafa the one who has led the tour many times over in most return stats. (Murray's actual return stroke it's superior to Rafa but his overall return game is not)

and no, clay doesn't skewed anything because last time I check, tennis is being play on clay. Rafa is number 2 ALL TIME behind Coria on return games won.....the same goes BP convertion, 1st and 2nd serve points won.

The only thing Murray does clearly better than Rafa it's his world class backhand; including the return stroke as well. His first serve when it goes in it's superior as well....too bad it's below 60%.

to start, return is not exactly return game and serve is not actually service game. Rafa holds serve at % close to Isner and Karlovic, would anyone think his 'serve' is of a similar level when we think of great servers? likewise his return, is he actually a better returner than Agassi?

Its a little like, the guy who wins the match is the 'better player'.... but he may or may not have played the better 'tennis'. Those are not the same and need to be separated.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
ricardo said:
the AntiPusher said:
calitennis127 said:
NADAL2005RG said:
Nadal's backhand is more of a threat than Murray's backhand. That's why I consider it a better backhand. Now, if Nadal's backhand was inconsistent, then you could dismiss that. But Nadal's backhand is not inconsistent (its just not as consistent as Murray's backhand). And Nadal has the best backhand passing shot I've seen on the tour. And the backhand slice was the most important shot Nadal played in this year's US Open final. Nadal breaks the opponent's serve more than Murray does. Nadal holds serve better than Murray does. Nadal is a better net player than Murray. You want to argue against that, that's up to you, but has no bearing on what others believe. I couldn't care less if you don't agree with me and McEnroe.

Nadal's backhand is generally a very neutral shot, and compared with the better backhands in the game, it is pretty lame, aside from the rare occasions when he steps in and goes for a huge cut and executes it. That happens pretty rarely for all the hours he spends on court in his long, grind-it-out matches.

Murray has a better backhand and has a much higher ceiling for attacking tennis than Nadal does.

You don't even understand why Nadal wins. You tout him for BS reasons. You seriously think that he wins the significant events against top opponents because his game is better, which is a laughable position. His style of pulling off cheap, weasel-like victories like he did against Janowicz in Montreal, Federer in Cincinnati, and Djokovic at Montreal and the US Open owes to much different factors than you cite, and also certainly factors that you do not understand.

The first two paragraphs are Fact(Rafa backhand is generally a neutral shot, there is some validity) but you totally loose creditability with your last paragraph which is pure Fiction and utter nonsense.

Cali may be biased in some ways (describing Nadal's wins as 'cheap, weasel-like), but he knows the game a lot better than you do; however i give you that you ride the bandwagon better ...

Ricky,, that's your opinion because it pretty known on this board that your beloved Cali never have played the game(at a competitive level). I played at the NCAA level and I play 3 to 4 times a week with about 8 ex ATP and WTA players.. I know what I am talking about but if you want to keep your lips press to Cali's rear, its your prerogative

tented

Administrator
Reactions
DarthFed said:
I'd say Murray missing an overhead and barely putting a ball in play after represents a bigger psychological shortcoming than AO was.

I was just talking with a friend recently about that Djokovicesque overhead, and how it completely undid Murray for the remainder of the match. I agree that it represents a bigger psychological deficiency than AO.

And Rafa does everything better than Murray?? Backhand??? Return???? Let me guess, Rafa serves better than Isner and is better at net than Sampras. I bet the only way he loses is if he is injured or just wants to conserve energy

Of course! I see you're finally getting it.

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
ricardo said:
the AntiPusher said:
calitennis127 said:
NADAL2005RG said:

Ricky,, that's your opinion because it pretty known on this board that your beloved Cali never have played the game(at a competitive level). I played at the NCAA level and I play 3 to 4 times a week with about 8 ex ATP and WTA players.. I know what I am talking about but if you want to keep your lips press to Cali's rear, its your prerogative

I think you are full of ****, nice try! :laydownlaughing

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
ricardo said:
the AntiPusher said:
ricardo said:
the AntiPusher said:
calitennis127 said:

New Age, Correct?

Ricardo

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
ricardo said:
the AntiPusher said:
ricardo said:
the AntiPusher said:

New Age, Correct?

nice try again :laydownlaughing

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
ricardo said:
the AntiPusher said:
ricardo said:
the AntiPusher said:
ricardo said:

New Age, Correct?

nice try again :laydownlaughing

Yep.. I recognized your posts.. Where do I find these idiots?

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Wihtout reading page after page, is Rafa's #1 ranking safe for the season? I see only Paris as a way for Nole to overtake him since he won WTF last year! I'd hate to see Rafa come back to take #1 ranking and keep it over the dead period of the winter until Aussie Open!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Wihtout reading page after page, is Rafa's #1 ranking safe for the season? I see only Paris as a way for Nole to overtake him since he won WTF last year! I'd hate to see Rafa come back to take #1 ranking and keep it over the dead period of the winter until Aussie Open!

Ah that's not nice! :cry

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Kieran said:
Fiero425 said:

...and who am I being mean to; Rafa and sycophants? My mom loves him so I know the disappointment of him dropping out for so long! You should be happy he's back and at the top! What do you want; constant applause? :clap

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Kieran said:
Fiero425 said:

...and who am I being mean to; Rafa and sycophants? My mom loves him so I know the disappointment of him dropping out for so long! You should be happy he's back and at the top! What do you want; constant applause? :clap

I was just teasing ya but that applause sounds lovely! ;)

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Kieran said:
Fiero425 said:
Kieran said:
Fiero425 said:

I was just teasing ya but that applause sounds lovely! ;)

Rafa's has had enough applause! He amazes me when he behaves like he's "never been there before!" I can still see him dropping to his knees in exaltation when winning the 4th set at AO in '12! I've never seen anything like it! Lucky for us Nole fans, he came back from a break down in the 5th to win that 6 hour marathon! I'm still recovering after almost 2 years with Nole taking 5 hours to defeat Murray in the semi, then Rafa in the final taking almost 6! Save us from these internable matches! At least the umpires are trying to speed things up! Monfils was given a warning a couple days ago, just laying on the court exhausted! He has to get back to the line and at least pretend he's ready! This isn't the old days where you can take your sweet time getting back! :snigger

Fiero425

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
fiero4251.blogspot.com
Kieran said:
I thought you are a Fedfan, Fiero?

I was, but he's well past it! I've been very disappointed with his stubborness to attack more and finish off points sooner! It makes no sense for him to hang on the baseline rallying with these kids! He's losing to players I don't even know these days! As I said earlier, I thought that was why he hired Annacone; to get him to attack the net more! :nono - Watching last week's China Open and Rafa looked really bad at times! That backhand has to be one of the ugliest shots in tennis; bending at the waist and tomahawking it on the past! When it goes off the boil, it's hideous!

calitennis127

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
ricardo said:
the AntiPusher said:
calitennis127 said:
NADAL2005RG said:

AntiPusher, please PM me and let me know of a tennis camp/facility you like, and we can arrange to play.

I don't back down from challenges - I'm like Rafa. I'm just warning you. The whole time we are playing I will be thinking of Kieran and his dictum "rise to the occasion like a champion".

With that going through my head, you will have no chance.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
calitennis127 said:
the AntiPusher said:
ricardo said:
the AntiPusher said:
calitennis127 said:

AntiPusher, please PM me and let me know of a tennis camp/facility you like, and we can arrange to play.

I don't back down from challenges - I'm like Rafa. I'm just warning you. The whole time we are playing I will be thinking of Kieran and his dictum "rise to the occasion like a champion".

Are you talking to Me!, Will do, Cali but we all know you Wil not show up but I give you props for making the proposal of a match , Bravo effort my friend

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
calitennis127 said:

This is true! Rise to the occasion! Rise to the occasion! Chant it like a mantra before the match with AP and you'll be fine. Oh, and I'm available to highest bidder for some extra mantra coaching. For instance, pound your chest and scream tough as teak! Tough as teak!

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Fiero425 said:
Kieran said:
I thought you are a Fedfan, Fiero?

I was, but he's well past it! I've been very disappointed with his stubborness to attack more and finish off points sooner! It makes no sense for him to hang on the baseline rallying with these kids! He's losing to players I don't even know these days! As I said earlier, I thought that was why he hired Annacone; to get him to attack the net more! :nono -

So you dumped him cos he lost a few and decamped to Djoker? :huh: What'll you do when Djoker loses a few? Vanish from sight til he wins again? :devil