Mutua Madrid Open, Madrid, Spain, WTA Premier

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think calling Meldopova a cheater openly and then following it up with a tough three set win, deserves at least two new sponsors (especially, if you are blue eyed blonde which is better than a green eyed blonde :) )

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The handshake and some highlights. [video=youtube]https://youtu.be/0E1XqsPOxgU[/video]

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
It was more like a "hand-touch" than a handshake, and a stare from Genie at a sheepish Sharapova. Good!

Shameful that they opened and played to a largely empty stadium. And doesn't that court play more like a fast hard with a high bounce, than clay? But still, a satisfying moment for Genie, and for the game... :clap

Hoergren

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Sorry to say, but every time you think Caro will do something, she always keeps disappointing.
Now, we will have a Serenaless year. This is her last chance to win something big. But, my guess is that ship has sailed for her.

Well I think that's the problem for fans but actually she has done quite well this year. Top 10 again next week and #2 on the racelist - doesn't that tell a little bit. Of course you hope that your babe will win and that's not always the case. Just remember that she hasn't played on clay since 2015 and that's not the same as hard court. The last three matches has lasted more than 8h against tough oponents. LATEST she is NOT playing Rome next week because of a little injury she got when she played Niculescu - so next tournament is Strassbourg. So bare with me if I believe she wins:cool:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F4rKMiaxuU[/video]

WTA-rocks

Club Member
Reactions
Bouchard v Sharapova was a terrific 3-set women's match. :clap

Should have been played in front of a packed stadium. Fascinating deep into the third set listening to the two coaches Sven Groeneveld (Pova), Thomas Hogstedt (Genie).

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
WTA-rocks said:
Bouchard v Sharapova was a terrific 3-set women's match. :clap

Should have been played in front of a packed stadium. Fascinating deep into the third set listening to the two coaches Sven Groeneveld (Pova), Thomas Hogstedt (Genie).

Welcome to the Frontier WTA-rocks.

Well Thomas used to coach Sharapova. In fact, it's probably because of him that she won RG the first time in 2012. He really helped her expand her game on clay. I'm sure he had more than an earful for Genie to listen to regarding tactics and belief.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Meldopova is currently ranked at #258. She needs to get into top 208 to gain direct entry into qualifying draw of Wimby and needs to get into top 104 to gain direct entry into main draw
of Wimby. She currently has 185 points. If she can gather just as little as 100 points in Rome, she
can get into qualifying tourney of Wimbledon. If she wants to enter the main draw, she needs to make at least an SF at Rome. Otherwise, she will be at the mercy of organizers.

Pova will gain or gets the points..most definitely

Of course, she will eventually get the points. But, to get direct entry into main draw of Wimbledon, only points earned upto Rome count. So, Pova's only way to do that is to reach SF at Rome. I doubt that will happen. But, she will indeed accumulate enough points to get direct entry into qualifying tourney at Wimbledon (unlike RG, where she would need a WC even in to the qualifying tournament).

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Madrid Open Women's Singles Round 2 matches on Tuesday

Oceane Dodin (France) beat 4-Dominika Cibulkova (Slovakia) 6-2 6-4
Kiki Bertens (Netherlands) beat Timea Bacsinszky (Switzerland) 6-2 6-2
Irina Begu (Romania) beat Johanna Larsson (Sweden) 4-6 7-6(5) 6-3
Misaki Doi (Japan) beat Donna Vekic (Croatia) 6-1 6-2
3-Simona Halep (Romania) beat Roberta Vinci (Italy) 6-3 2-6 7-6(2)
Sorana Cirstea (Romania) beat Catherine Bellis (U.S.) 6-3 6-2
CoCo Vandeweghe (U.S.) beat Laura Siegemund (Germany) 6-2 4-6 6-3
Wang Qiang (China) beat Zheng Saisai (China) 6-2 3-6 6-2
16-Samantha Stosur (Australia) beat Mariana Duque (Colombia) 6-3 7-5

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
good riddance to bad rubbish...

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Surely Halep is positioned to get out of the bottom half. Rather a blood-bath so far.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
congrats to Dodin, great result for her

special700

Masters Champion
Reactions
Kieran said:
It was more like a "hand-touch" than a handshake, and a stare from Genie at a sheepish Sharapova. Good!

Shameful that they opened and played to a largely empty stadium. And doesn't that court play more like a fast hard with a high bounce, than clay? But still, a satisfying moment for Genie, and for the game... :clap

Yea - I thought Maria put butts in the stands. That stand was empty as hell. I taped it. If she had beaten Genie I would have deleted it. I will watch it because Genie beat the doper.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
special700 said:
Kieran said:

Yea - I thought Maria put butts in the stands. That stand was empty as hell. I taped it. If she had beaten Genie I would have deleted it. I will watch it because Genie beat the doper.

Those empty stands will put a damper on the enthusiasm of tournament organizers in giving WC to Meldopova. Good job by fans in boycotting the match, if they intentionally did it.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Wow Genie followed up her win over Meldopova with a win over Kerber. Actually, she was about to Bagel Kerber in the second set and it looks like to avoid the ignominy, Kerber retired just before the last game.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Sorry to see Kerber out injured (hamstring?) but happy for Bouchard, who seems to be a bit back. I hope she keeps it up.

WTA-rocks

Club Member
Reactions
I don't think spectators are purposely boycotting matches. Madrid is notoriously poorly attended during the week.
The women's draw is gloriously unpredictable. Of those left standing: Halep, Bouchard or Kuznetsova for the title.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Madrid Open Women's Singles Round 3 matches on Wednesday

14-Kristina Mladenovic (France) beat Oceane Dodin (France) 6-2 6-1
Eugenie Bouchard (Canada) beat 1-Angelique Kerber (Germany) 6-3 5-0 (Kerber retired)
Sorana Cirstea (Romania) beat Misaki Doi (Japan) 7-5 3-6 6-1
3-Simona Halep (Romania) beat 16-Samantha Stosur (Australia) 6-4 4-6 6-4
Kiki Bertens (Netherlands) beat Irina Begu (Romania) 6-1 7-5
CoCo Vandeweghe (U.S.) beat Carla Suarez Navarro (Spain) 5-7 6-4 7-5
8-Svetlana Kuznetsova (Russia) beat Wang Qiang (China) 6-4 7-5
Anastasija Sevastova (Latvia) beat Lara Arruabarrena Vecino (Spain) 7-5 6-2