Is Nick Kyrios Coachable?

Is Nicky Coachable?

• Total voters

mightyjeditribble

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I don't like this idea of coaches on court for either the WTA or the ATP, but why on earth should it have anything to do with gender? Is Serena not a "great player", because she is a woman?

:cover :cover :cover:rolleyes:

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
BTW, I heard commentators in ESPN talking recently that ATP is planning on allowing Coaches talk to the players in the middle of the match, like it happens in WTA. They are apparently doing some trial run of it in some smaller tourneys.

I hate that on the women's tour. They're big girls. Suck it up and figure it out if you want the paycheck. Ditto for the men. In most cases now days we're talking about players in the late 20s and early 30s not teenagers. If they haven't figured out how to win a match by now they never will.

No coaching has always been one of the best things about tennis. When a player steps on the court they're on their own. On-court coaching turns the sport into adult baby sitting. :rolleyes:

Reactions: britbox

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
shivashish said:
It has to be Pete who can be the best coach. He was a serve-expert himself. He would know something about making a service-centered game work.

I was thinking the alternatives could be:

Mark Philippoussis
Richard Krajicek
Greg Rusedski

P.S.: Pete Sampras will help Kyrgios with the net game.

Sampras has said flat out he has no interest in becoming a full-time coach and doesn't want to travel that much anymore. And besides that I really don't think he wants to have to deal with a sullen jerk like Kyrgios. :snicker

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Kieran said:
GameSetAndMath said:
BTW, I heard commentators in ESPN talking recently that ATP is planning on allowing Coaches talk to the players in the middle of the match, like it happens in WTA. They are apparently doing some trial run of it in some smaller tourneys.

Isn't that a really horrible idea? I hope this doesn't happen. It's okay for the women, they love a good natter, and they'd sit and gossip all day long, but the men's game is something far more interesting and challenging than that. Having a coach come on and give pep talks? I bet the great players would find that unhelpful and distracting...

Yep. I am totally against the idea of coaching in the middle of the match in ATP. Actually, I don't like it in the WTA also. But, the idiots think it adds drama to the TV audience.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Busted said:
shivashish said:
It has to be Pete who can be the best coach. He was a serve-expert himself. He would know something about making a service-centered game work.

Mark Philippoussis
Richard Krajicek
Greg Rusedski

Sampras has said flat out he has no interest in becoming a full-time coach and doesn't want to travel that much anymore. And besides that I really don't think he wants to have to deal with a sullen jerk like Kyrgios. :snicker

Pete's coming around to the idea:

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/news/news/Tennis_Interviews/38380/pete-sampras-i-d-like-to-coach-a-young-player-like-kyrgios-or-dimitrov-/

Nick would benefit from Pete's ability to cut through the BS and deliver on the essenrtials. I can imagine Pete's reaction to the silly tweeners, he'd associate them with other areas of Nick's game which are actually undermining him, and he'd get him to focus on winning points, not attention. I'd like to see this one...

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think Pete did not want to travel before as he had young kid(s?). Now, they must have grown up and he might be feeling free to travel.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
shivashish said:

Mark Philippoussis
Richard Krajicek
Greg Rusedski

Philippoussis offered Nick his services at the beginning of the yeayn he hasn't answered for the moment, maybe he needs time to think about it ?? Krajicek's already Milos's coach by the way

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
isabelle said:
shivashish said:

Mark Philippoussis
Richard Krajicek
Greg Rusedski

Philippoussis offered Nick his services at the beginning of the yeayn he hasn't answered for the moment, maybe he needs time to think about it ?? Krajicek's already Milos's coach by the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9LcD_iLp30

Have a look at this. Greg Rusedski is a fan of Kyrgios. I think we have our number one candidate here. :)

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
Yeah, I dunno if either Rusedski or Phillippoussis would be what Nick needs...

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I think he "might" be coachable now. The kid looks a lot more serious this year and has mentioned that Davis Cup has given him a bit of a jolt. I'd love to see Sampras coach, no reason he wouldn't be at the very least a solid coach who players, even Nick, will obviously respect.

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
I think that what's remarkable with Nick is that without a coach, he's looking reasonably solid. It's dangerous, because it could make him think he could do without a coach, forgetful of the fact that beneath this firm-handed play at the moment resides boogeymen, tantrums and loud jungle drum rolls. I hope he doesn't convince himself that self-medication with regards to doctoring his game is the way forward...

lob

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
Kyrgios needs a coach alright..but as to who is appropriate we just don't know. There's personality dynamics too, which are very subjective. I thought that Becker coaching Novak was a train wreck waiting to happen. Had to eat crow on that one. Thought Federer Edberg was a dream team. Meh not really. Hoped Connors would work for Roddick. That didn't pan out. Used to think that Roger was foolhardy for going coach-less in his prime..turned out he could still do what he did.

Kyrgios sure needs a coach but as to who, no clue.. it need not be a superstar.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
What about Hewitt? Is not he retired and a fellow aussie? Do they get along with each other?

Kieran

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
What about Hewitt? Is not he retired and a fellow aussie? Do they get along with each other?

I think Hewitt has a history of trying to advise Nick, but he's another who had mental issues at times as a player so I'd be curious if that's the type of person Nick needs. Certainly they'd have a lot in common...

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
I don't think Hewitt can be his coach and still coach the Davis Cup. Am I right about that?

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
I personally do not think Nick is ready or mature enough for a coach like Pete yet. Maybe another hard fought season and a bit more respect for the game and next year he may be ready. I get the feeling from the guy that he would block out anyone who would say things he is not ready to hear.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
coachable or not...bad Nick pulled out of MC

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Nick has taken on Sebastien Grosjean as a part-time coach. I believe he was seen in Nick's box at Miami, and there was some speculation. Who knows if it's a good fit, but I'm glad to see him working with a coach.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Yeah, I dunno if either Rusedski or Phillippoussis would be what Nick needs...

I think with Kyrgios it's going to have to be a player who's actually WON the big titles. Rusedski was never within sniffing distance and Phillippoussis only had the 1 Wimbledon final that he lost to Federer. What are these guys going to be able to teach Kyrgios about WINNING and maintaining a high level of play for an extended period of time - we're talking years not just the 2 weeks of a Slam.