Internazionali BNL d'Italia - Rome Open - WTA Premiere

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
As I understood them to say on TC today, that RG denied her a wildcard even into quallies. They did say, though, that her ranking will be high enough to play in the qualifiers for Wimbledon. But maybe I heard wrong.

You are right. I posted my message before I learnt the big news.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
As I understood them to say on TC today, that RG denied her a wildcard even into quallies. They did say, though, that her ranking will be high enough to play in the qualifiers for Wimbledon. But maybe I heard wrong.
You should have heard them on TTC. Gimelstop was having an all-out tantrum because the French official made this decision to block her entry into the tournament. He went on further to question the guy's authority saying he didn't seek counsel from other French staff and just made this decision on his own. It was absolutely embarrassing to see him whining on TV like a petulant child. :negative:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
You should have heard them on TTC. Gimelstop was having an all-out tantrum because the French official made this decision to block her entry into the tournament. He went on further to question the guy's authority saying he didn't seek counsel from other French staff and just made this decision on his own. It was absolutely embarrassing to see him whining on TV like a petulant child. :negative:
I heard that. Gimelstob is very opinionated, but I like him, though, in this case, I disagree with him. But speaking of TTC and the WTA, does anyone know why the WTA won't grant them the rights to show the women's matches? TTC has said they'd like to show them, and that they will show the women at RG, because it's an ITF event. What gives? That can't be good for the women's game.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
It may have something to do w/ Tennis.tv. I believe carry the rights to show the non-slam WTA matches. I can only assume they want to force people to purchase a package that would allow them access to watch on tennis.tv. So it seems like they are competing w/ TC+. TC+ is a subscription you paid for separate from TC and was supposed to show all the other events they don't carry on TV.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
WTA chief Simon does not like that Maria is not given WC and he is speaking up. Even Steve Tignor thinks that she should have been awarded WC into Quals. I think they made the right decision. I further think that they should make it a rule.

But FFT gave wild card into quals for a men's player named Lestienne who was previously banned for betting on matches. Some say, this is double standard.

Reactions: Moxie

tossip

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
that was very sweet of the French Open to spare us noise from the banshee...looking forward to this event

Reactions: 10isfan

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
WTA chief Simon does not like that Maria is not given WC and he is speaking up. Even Steve Tignor thinks that she should have been awarded WC into Quals. I think they made the right decision. I further think that they should make it a rule.

But FFT gave wild card into quals for a men's player named Lestienne who was previously banned for betting on matches. Some say, this is double standard.
Without knowing anything about Lestienne's case, it does sound like a double-standard on it's face. I'll confess my own double-standard, though, as I do understand why "smaller" tournaments would give Maria a WC, and I'm more OK with that, as they need the money more, and her presence as a box office draw benefits all of women's tennis. At a Major, I don't so much like it. The tournament will do fine without her. A WC is an "invitation," given at the discretion of the tournament, so they aren't obligated to give it.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Italian Open Women's Singles Round 2 matches on Wednesday

3-Garbine Muguruza Blanco (Spain) beat Jelena Ostapenko (Latvia) 2-6 6-2 6-1
Ekaterina Makarova (Russia) beat 4-Dominika Cibulkova (Slovakia) 1-6 6-1 6-3
9-Venus Williams (U.S.) beat Lesia Tsurenko (Ukraine) 6-4 6-3
Timea Bacsinszky (Switzerland) beat 14-Barbora Strycova (Czech Republic) 6-4 6-2
Anett Kontaveit (Estonia) beat 1-Angelique Kerber (Germany) 6-4 6-0
Julia Goerges (Germany) beat Jelena Jankovic (Serbia) 2-6 7-6(2) 6-1
Daria Gavrilova (Australia) beat Caroline Garcia (France) 7-5 3-6 6-3
12-Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (Russia) beat Anastasija Sevastova (Latvia) 7-6(4) 6-2
2-Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) beat Lauren Davis (U.S.) 6-1 6-1
8-Elina Svitolina (Ukraine) beat Alize Cornet (France) 6-4 7-6(11)
6-Simona Halep (Romania) beat Laura Siegemund (Germany) 6-4 6-4
Mona Barthel (Germany) beat Wang Qiang (China) 6-3 6-4
15-Kiki Bertens (Netherlands) beat Catherine Bellis (U.S.) 6-4 6-0

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My fave, Cibulkova makes an early exit, but the story of the day is another capitulation by World #1 Angelique Kerber.

Kerber doesn't look like stopping the rot any time soon.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
My fave, Cibulkova makes an early exit, but the story of the day is another capitulation by World #1 Angelique Kerber.

Kerber doesn't look like stopping the rot any time soon.
I debated her in my draw challenge. But isn't she carrying an injury? And bummer about Cibulkova. She's one of my faves, as well.

PS: BB, can you watch the women's matches in Oz? I know the times are all off for you, but we have basically no access to them in the US.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I debated her in my draw challenge. But isn't she carrying an injury? And bummer about Cibulkova. She's one of my faves, as well.

Makarova is becoming like kryptonite to Cibulkova, that's three on the spin this year.

They said on the TV highlights about Muguruza being the new favourite. Don't see it myself, based on current form, and I thing she's been carrying niggling injuries all year too.

Halep seems to be the one coming into form.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Makarova is becoming like kryptonite to Cibulkova, that's three on the spin this year.

They said on the TV highlights about Muguruza being the new favourite. Don't see it myself, based on current form, and I thing she's been carrying niggling injuries all year too.

Halep seems to be the one coming into form.
I'm sorry to say that Muguruza has been one of those who can't seem to back up her FO win last year. I'd back Halep over her, though I probably picked Garbiñe to go deep.

kskate2

Administrator
Reactions
Cibby is another one like Kerbie that has struggled after winning a big title and achieving top 5 rank. She's done nothing since winning the WTA finals and I think it's all in her head.

Mugu cannot be seriously considered a threat at RG. She made it to the QF of AO only to get bounced by streaking Coco Puffs. Other than result, she's done nothing either. She will bomb out of Rome in the next round or two, limp into RG w/ no confidence where she will struggle in early rounds going 3 sets. She will meet her match before the R16, lose her title and her top 10 ranking.

Kerbie will continue to be #1 by default probably through Wimby.

If I had to pick 4 SF for RG right now, I'd go w/ Simona, Sveta, Mlad and a surprise SF like (Siegmund, Osta, Kasa or Seva).

Reactions: britbox

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Cibby is another one like Kerbie that has struggled after winning a big title and achieving top 5 rank. She's done nothing since winning the WTA finals and I think it's all in her head.

Mugu cannot be seriously considered a threat at RG. She made it to the QF of AO only to get bounced by streaking Coco Puffs. Other than result, she's done nothing either. She will bomb out of Rome in the next round or two, limp into RG w/ no confidence where she will struggle in early rounds going 3 sets. She will meet her match before the R16, lose her title and her top 10 ranking.

Kerbie will continue to be #1 by default probably through Wimby.

If I had to pick 4 SF for RG right now, I'd go w/ Simona, Sveta, Mlad and a surprise SF like (Siegmund, Osta, Kasa or Seva).
Sad but true. And thanks for the tips for my RG draw challenge. ;)