Internazionali BNL d'Italia- Rome ATP1000 - 14th May to 21st May

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Results from the Italian Open Men's Singles Quarterfinal matches on Friday

8-Dominic Thiem (Austria) beat 4-Rafa Nadal (Spain) 6-4 6-3
16-Alexander Zverev (Germany) beat 5-Milos Raonic (Canada) 7-6(4) 6-1
John Isner (U.S.) beat 6-Marin Cilic (Croatia) 7-6(3) 2-6 7-6(2)

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Order of Play - Saturday

Svacq1D.png

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Big ask of Novak Djokovic to beat Del Potro and Thiem on the same day and go into Sunday after a late one. If he comes put the other end, he might be riding the crest of a wave into RG.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Big ask of Novak Djokovic to beat Del Potro and Thiem on the same day and go into Sunday after a late one. If he comes put the other end, he might be riding the crest of a wave into RG.
That would be just the kind of he-man feat and confidence builder he would thrive on, but I agree that it looks like a big ask for him, at this state of his game. I won't be surprised if he gets Del Potro in straights, but his game (and his attitude) is still looking wobbly compared to Thiem's, and he'll have had to battle earlier in the day. I don't really see him getting to Sunday.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I was only surfing past it periodically! Seemed like it was a coverage thing! I'll take your word for it! Normally I just don't watch these early rounders! It's usually a formality until certain fans go "all in" proclaiming Rafa would win all 5 events played on clay; culminating in a 10th FO! JINX! They'll never learn; stay humble and it'll come to you! That's how I felt about Nole 2015; a true chance to surpass 2011 by making FO final, taking an extra Masters setting record with 6 (8 finals), and wrapping it all up by winning another YEC in London! I doubt anyone will ever be able to come close to that kind of consistency in a season; much less multiple times! The only ones who come close is still a short list; Lave with 2 CYGS, Connors' 74, Wilander's '88, Federer 3 times, & Nadal's 2013! :pompoms: :cheerleader::ptennis:

Fiero, have you been a cheerleader?

Reactions: Moxie

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Wouldn't you prefer for Rafa to win RG which would then set up the big showdown at Wimbledon vs Federer

Federer and Nadal meeting at Wimbledon is about as likely as OlegMacNoLeg winning the NYC marathon :ptennis:

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Isner is not as surprising on clay as he would appear. He says the ball jumps up into his strike zone, which he likes, and he has more time on the ball. He's had some good wins on clay (beat Fed in DC, if I recall,) and was the first guy to take Rafa to 5 at RG. As for Stan, @DarthFed and I were talking about him a while back. He can have results like this, and then come out guns blazing at the French. Or he could go out first round. He really defies prediction, and his year so far is no real indicator.

Except that this is 2017 and he's been crap on all surfaces a long time now so it's rather surprising if it wasn't Stan he just beat as Stan normally beats himself 90% of the year. He was decent against Rafa in that match alright but I can barely recall the last time he's played a good match till this week so it's a bit of a mini resurgence really. Interesting to see how he does at RG. 4th round is his best result.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I hope Delpo can give to Novak more fight that he did yesterday :lightning:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Poor Delpo, he is not even the shadow he was and I don't think he will recover his best anymore

Murat Baslamisli

The GOAT
Reactions
Website
www.drummershangout.ca
If he wins RG..he will have the confidence to play competitively again on grass
I would have agreed with you if this was 3-4 years ago. Now, I somehow feel like if Rafa wins RG, it will be a huge relief and he will not care too much about the grass season.
Federer and Nadal meeting at Wimbledon is about as likely as OlegMacNoLeg winning the NYC marathon :ptennis:
What are you talking about Front? Oleg won that marathon twice !

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
I would have agreed with you if this was 3-4 years ago. Now, I somehow feel like if Rafa wins RG, it will be a huge relief and he will not care too much about the grass season.

What are you talking about Front? Oleg won that marathon twice !
I like what I have seen from Rafa this year, no one gave him or let alone Roger a chance at AO but if you recalled, I said if all conditions hold true meaning these two players are healthy and on top of their games, Rafa and Roger would be competing on finals weekend for majors. No one took me seriously because of their ages and their past 3 years. Roger is still Roger and Rafa is still Rafa. Roger outplayed and out foxed Rafa on the hardcourts. Since then Rafa has tighten up his strokes and hopefully can capture RG.
It's all about confidence, trusting your body and the will of a champion.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I like what I have seen from Rafa this year, no one gave him or let alone Roger a chance at AO but if you recalled, I said if all conditions hold true meaning these two players are healthy and on top of their games, Rafa and Roger would be competing on finals weekend for majors. No one took me seriously because of their ages and their past 3 years. Roger is still Roger and Rafa is still Rafa. Roger outplayed and out foxed Rafa on the hardcourts. Since then Rafa has tighten up his strokes and hopefully can capture RG.
It's all about confidence, trusting your body and the will of a champion.
Well said, one of the best comments that I read for long time :good:

Reactions: the AntiPusher

Haelfix

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
I finally watched the rerun of the Thiem match. Wow what a display, he looked like Gustavo Kuerten out there at times. I didn't think he had that level of physicality in him. Rafa wasn't playing poorly either, Thiem just absolutely redlined his game and was able to mantain it for two sets (pretty sure he would have lost in three though).

I don't think i've ever seen Rafa lose to a one handed backhand in that fashion before on clay, so thats a first.

Puppet Master

Masters Champion
Reactions
Thiem you slimy bastard. Thiem you absolute retard. Fu€k off.
I am done with this match.