Internazionali BNL d'Italia- Rome ATP1000 - 14th May to 21st May

Discussion in 'Pro Tennis (Mens)' started by Moxie, May 11, 2017.

1. Puppet Master

Puppet Master Masters Champion

Rafa was getting bullied so much in this match. I didn't know Dominic could play with THIS level of intensity. Monstrous winners. Suddenly he has become a favourite if Rafa goes out. We just need to see if he can shut Nadal down for good, and not let him back into it.

Fiero425 likes this.
  2. Fiero425

Fiero425 Grand Slam Champion

A lot of free points on serve for Thiem! I know I needed them in my hay day! Very impressive! One game away! ...Done! :clap: :rolleyes:

#202 Fiero425, May 19, 2017 at 12:02 PM
    Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 12:08 PM
  3. kskate2

kskate2 Administrator

There's something to be said about playing someone so many times in recent weeks. Anyway, I've seen him play to this level before but like AP said, he's dangerous in a BO3. There's no way he can maintain this amount of aggression in a 5-setter w/o making a ton of errors too.

the AntiPusher likes this.
  4. Carol

Carol Grand Slam Champion

It also seems that my wish is getting real, Thiem killing himself and Rafa going home to rest and practice to get RG in the best conditions. The bad part is that Thiem tomorrow will be dead and lose :confused:

the AntiPusher likes this.
  5. DarthFed

DarthFed Grand Slam Champion

I don't think a win by Thiem changes the dynamic heading into RG, Rafa is the overwhelming favorite regardless. Only a loss to Novak at this tourney would possibly change that IMO. It's also worth noting that Rafa never swept all 5 clay tourneys, he skipped 2010 Barcelona and Hamburg in 05 and 06. Maybe he's superstitious.

the AntiPusher and Moxie like this.
  6. crystalfire

crystalfire Major Winner

rafa lost wuuutttt wasnt expecting that on clay this year with no fed and djoker and murray playing sub par

7. Murat Baslamisli

Murat Baslamisli Grand Slam Champion

Thiem figured out the only way to beat Rafa on clay is to attack relentlessly and live with the errors that result from that. You cannot play on Rafa's terms on clay. Today, it worked out. It won't always. But this is still the only way.

britbox and Moxie like this.
  8. Fiero425

Nothing new really! It's how Fabio does it does it to Rafa! A lot of flash, flourish, and frustration for Nadal to deal with! Nice wins by Next Gen! :good: :clap: :cheerleader: :ptennis:

9. Moxie

Moxie Multiple Major Winner

Excellent Dominic Thiem today. Personally, I've never seen him play better. I've been surprised that the bookies haven't been putting his odds higher at RG, though that will probably change today. On TTC, Austin, Annacone and Shieras have been calling Thiem the 2nd favorite there all week.

10. Moxie

Moxie Multiple Major Winner

I don't think it's a secret that that's a good tactic (against anyone frankly), but I wouldn't act so ho-hum about it. Do you know how many winners folks like Fognini, Pouille and Thiem had to produce to pull it off? As if anyone can do it any time they decide to, eh?

11. Fiero425

Ya gotta get to a Masters final before becoming a fave at a Major IMO! There's a reason we haven't had many upsets over the last decade where 4 players have owned the tour like no others in the OPEN ERA! :rolleyes: :ptennis: :suicide: :demon:

12. BIG3

BIG3 Futures Player

Congratulation to Thiem. What a brilliant performance.

I won't read too much on Rafa's loss today. He virtually went to final in every tournaments this season, even most intensively than Nole in 2016. Nole and Andy played back to back on clay and split the titles, but Nole was clearly favorite on RG. The same plot for Rafa and Thiem.

The only slight downside for Rafa is his chance of YE # 1, if any.

13. the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher Grand Slam Champion

You two females casted bad juju over Rafa match today..He read your posts and lost the incentive to stay with Dominic today..now we all have to endure the likes of herios, Front, Benedict Dude and Darth gloat about Rafa's demise.. its gonna be a dreadful weekend..,LOL

Really.. he needed to be off the courts and getting prepared for RG.. nothin to be gain by winning today's match..

Vamos and Onwards to RG

14. Carol

Yes! everything happens for a reason and this loss is the best thing can happen for Rafa. Now I'm convenced that he will win RG and probably willl be better prepared for the grass
    Congrats to Thiem and I'd like that he would lift the trophy but I'm afraid he won't, hope to be wrong

#214 Carol, May 19, 2017 at 12:29 PM
    Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 3:34 PM
  15. Fiero425

Never said it was easy, but it's the only real way to give yourself a chance unless a member of the Big 4 who can play Rafa toe to toe! :ptennis:

16. bajana

bajana Pro Tour Player

Well, even if Thiem doesn't win Rome, don't despair. You can still hope he'll win RG :D

17. the AntiPusher

the AntiPusher Grand Slam Champion

Good point Darth..,however Rafa has won a couple of Clay Salms(master series 1000 plus RG)

18. Carol

Everything could happen but I can tell you from now....nope!

19. El Dude

El Dude Multiple Major Winner

A nice surprise to wake up to. Perhaps my hope of a Thiem-Zverev final will come through. I'll be happy with Del Potro...worst case scenario would be Novak-Isner. Blah.

20. Carol

Lol, I feel guilty in one way but trust me, this is the best thing for him, h did a little too much and enough, time to fish and to rest :fishing: :sleep2: and ready for the 10:ptennis:

Moxie and the AntiPusher like this.