Grand Prix Hassan II Marrakech clay 250

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I know the week is almost over but this was a very interesting event how it panned out.
Always at the beginning of the clay season, along with the US clay court championship, usually gathers a stronger field than the event is US.
This year the seeds were:
A. Zverev
F. Fognini
K. Edmund
G. Simon
L. Djere
F. Verdasco
K. Kohlschreiber
P. Herbert.

The seeds were decimated through the week, topping with the big upset of Zverev by Munar.
By the round of the SF today, only Simon was still standing with Andujar, Paire and Tsonga.
Today, Simon lost as well, being pummelled by triple champion here Pablo Andujar .
In the second sF, Paire defeated Tsonga.
JW Tsonga rarely loses to fellow French guys, but he is past his prime.
Andujar seems to play his best here, he was badly injured 2 years ago but he is rejuvenated and he comes here after 2 consecutive titles on clay in the Challenger tour.
I would favor Pablo against the very inconsistent Benoit Paire.
But Paire also seems to play well, he defeated easily Munar, who kicked out Zverev .

Reactions: tented

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Paire is of one that players that I personally dislike a lot but got to admit that have loads of talent. Anyway I guess Andujar is too solid for him, he will probably go mental and lose 7x5 6x0.

herios

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Paire is of one that players that I personally dislike a lot but got to admit that have loads of talent. Anyway I guess Andujar is too solid for him, he will probably go mental and lose 7x5 6x0.
They also played a final in a Challenger in Marbella 2 weeks ago, where Andujar turned the match around:
4-6, 7-6, 6-4.

Reactions: mrzz

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Nothing is sure in this game. Paire won not withstanding all you people chastising him. Isn't this Pablo who choked against Ralph in Rio SF few years ago.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Nothing is sure in this game. Paire won not withstanding all you people chastising him. Isn't this Pablo who choked against Ralph in Rio SF few years ago.

Paire always give me new reasons to hate him. I know the bastard is heavily talented, but honestly wasn't expecting him to be able to thrive on clay. I have watched a few of his matches and he used the have zero patience. Maybe he leased a brain somewhere.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Paire always give me new reasons to hate him. I know the bastard is heavily talented, but honestly wasn't expecting him to be able to thrive on clay. I have watched a few of his matches and he used the have zero patience. Maybe he leased a brain somewhere.
Why do you hate Paire? Is it the beard? The turned up collar? The inconsistency? I'm asking seriously, as I rather root against him, too, and I'm not clear why.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Why do you hate Paire? Is it the beard? The turned up collar? The inconsistency? I'm asking seriously, as I rather root against him, too, and I'm not clear why.

As we say in Brazil, is the body of work (conjunto da obra, guess it works in Spanish too). I hate this attitude of "oh, I am so talented that I don't even care to care". Actually I hate to judge a player for any personal characteristic, but this just gets me. And, believe me, I am the first to admit that the guy is bloody good. But I just want that a plane falls over his head during one match.

Reactions: Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As we say in Brazil, is the body of work (conjunto da obra, guess it works in Spanish too). I hate this attitude of "oh, I am so talented that I don't even care to care". Actually I hate to judge a player for any personal characteristic, but this just gets me. And, believe me, I am the first to admit that the guy is bloody good. But I just want that a plane falls over his head during one match.
Yeah, that's pretty much why I don't like him. Sort of the same with Dimitrov. Some days they wake up and don't feel the "muse," so they fold up the tent and go home. What you want it the fire in the belly for the win, even when the tennis isn't quite there.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Yeah, that's pretty much why I don't like him. Sort of the same with Dimitrov. Some days they wake up and don't feel the "muse," so they fold up the tent and go home. What you want it the fire in the belly for the win, even when the tennis isn't quite there.

I feel a bit different with Dimitrov. I agree that he lacks that competitiveness, but I don't see the "I don't care" expression in him... I guess he simply gets tight, or don't practice enough or whatever.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I feel a bit different with Dimitrov. I agree that he lacks that competitiveness, but I don't see the "I don't care" expression in him... I guess he simply gets tight, or don't practice enough or whatever.
Somehow it feels a bit the same to me. There seems to be an arrogance about their talent. (My perception.) However that translates: into "I don't care," or they don't practice enough, or they collapse when things aren't going well, I think they both rely too much on talent and not the hard work. That's why I find them hard to like.