Football (Soccer)

N

Nekro

No, it wasn´t bad luck... it was an stupid and classical mistake (I am rolling back the years now). I remember I was rooting heavily for Romania in that world cup. They were 28374632864 times better than Sweden, and should have won in the 90 minutes. Sweden had just ONE play. When the extra time was ending, Romania started to retreat more and more, and commit stupid fouls close to the midfield -- I started to scream in front of the TV "You will give them the chance to make their only fucking play". Said and done. I can´t recall perfectly, but I am sure I broke something. Maybe the TV set.

I heard about Prodan. Too damn too young...
That's true, they choked bigtime...... well, let's face it, they're not used to playing on the big stage.

It sucks totally he died so young, and he's not even one of these 20ish whippersnappers.

I have a "special" :lulz1: theory why so many youngsters drop dead during trainings: They party too much (too much money too easily compared to other sports), overburdening their system, these young football players and their hearts just go kaput during the training next day. What do you think?

N

Nekro

I checked out the match btw and the comments, some say it was luck others blame the bad romanian goalkeeper:

"In my opinion romania had the best team in the world in 94 (Hagi, Popescu, Dumitrescu , Petrescu, Raducioiu.. etc) ... Pele sayd : if romania will be in the final , brazil will be in real trouble. ... in the semifinal , sweden had luck with romanians goalkeeper (Prunea)."

"Romania was the best team in that world cup..and Yugoslavia if they stayed united would of been evan better..Sweden got lucky..Romania got one of the greatest players of all time Hagi who was the greatest player at that time..evan better than Maradona Romario Bagio Batistuta..only Dragan Piksi and Savicevic from Yugoslavia were in a league with him..but Yugoslavia didnt play like i said because of the war..very lucky Sweden because of romanian poor keeper ..who is one of the worst goalkeepers i saw in my life..he basicly handed them the semifinal..witch from an onest point of view they didnt deserve it more than Romania..evan Pele said Romania was the best team..Romania or Yugoslavia evan more if they played could of been the world cup winner..Brazil got lucky.."

BTW others thought Sweden was the better team, haha :p

"A deserved win for sweden, the best team in the whole tournament, maybe the best world cup team of all time. This was also the best match in world cup 1994.. Sweden should have won at full time....1 dismissed goal, 1 bar and 1 red card. I rest my case, we will never see it´s like again."

Last edited by a moderator:

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
^your theory makes sense. The training level is extremely high, too.

About that match, yes, the goalkeeper failed, but maybe the highlights won´t show the way Romania started to fall back to its own defensive field... they could have kept the ball in their feet on the attack. I do not even want to watch that video. Argh.

oh, and you mentioned Yougoslavia. That would be a helluva team.

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Let's discuss more football guys. I know its off season, but a lot of things are happening with transfers.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Let's discuss more football guys. I know its off season, but a lot of things are happening with transfers.

Liverpool splash out 39 million on Mohamed Salah and going hard after Monaco's Kylian Mbappe. Salah has a bit to prove in the prem - he didn't make much of an impact at Chelsea. Klopp is big on Mbappe apparently - I think he'll reel him in. Once Mbappe is in, I think Sturridge is out of the door. Only thing concerning me is that all the transfer speculation at Anfield is surrounding attacking players... we need to shore up the defence as a priority.

A few rumours floating around about Cristiano Ronaldo going back to Man United. I don't think this happens, he'll stay at Madrid.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
If Linfield (Northern Ireland) win their Round 1 Champions League qualifier, they get Celtic. Think the police will be out in force that night.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I am still not over Juve's embarrassing second half performance :(

On the flip-side, Marco Verratti is the best midfielder in the world (nobody realizes it yet) and if Barcelona get him, he'll be a game-changer.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think Kylian Mbappe will end up at Liverpool now other clubs have joined the bidding. Talk of 118 million which is ridiculous. I think Klopp would be better getting 3 or 4 other decent players for that kind of money.

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
If Linfield (Northern Ireland) win their Round 1 Champions League qualifier, they get Celtic. Think the police will be out in force that night.
Is Linfield a Unionist team?

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Liverpool splash out 39 million on Mohamed Salah and going hard after Monaco's Kylian Mbappe. Salah has a bit to prove in the prem - he didn't make much of an impact at Chelsea. Klopp is big on Mbappe apparently - I think he'll reel him in. Once Mbappe is in, I think Sturridge is out of the door. Only thing concerning me is that all the transfer speculation at Anfield is surrounding attacking players... we need to shore up the defence as a priority.

A few rumours floating around about Cristiano Ronaldo going back to Man United. I don't think this happens, he'll stay at Madrid.

I would really like to see Mbappe at Liverpool, but Monaco are asking a lot of money for him. It looks like Real Madrid will get him. Mbappe is a rising star, and I think he will be one of the top players. I am not so much into Salah, but he can deadly when he gets space, especially when counter-attacking.

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I would really like to see Mbappe at Liverpool, but Monaco are asking a lot of money for him. It looks like Real Madrid will get him. Mbappe is a rising star, and I think he will be one of the top players. I am not so much into Salah, but he can deadly when he gets space, especially when counter-attacking.

Ditto on Mbappe, but I think the figures are getting ridiculous. Liverpool best move on when 100 million+ is talked up

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I am still not over Juve's embarrassing second half performance :(

On the flip-side, Marco Verratti is the best midfielder in the world (nobody realizes it yet) and if Barcelona get him, he'll be a game-changer.
I am still wondering how Juve failed to win that that final. They were the strongest side in the tournament. I think something happened during the halftime talk. My suspicion is that Allegri put too much pressure on his players during the halftime talk. Also, the pressure of having to win the treble to equal Inter Milan may have contributed to the meltdown. There was a lot of talk in the Italian media, about whether Juventus could match Inter in winning the treble. They will have to try again next season, because they have a team that is strong enough to win it.

Verrati is an excellent midfielder. A few years ago, he was under the radar at Pescara in Italy, with some top Italian teams fighting for his signature, but PSG offered way more money than the Italian teams.

Last edited:

atttomole

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Ditto on Mbappe, but I think the figures are getting ridiculous. Liverpool best move on when 100 million+ is talked up
I agree. However, if the budget allows why not? If he can still remain with another 50 million euros after buying Mbappe, it should be enough to buy a good midfielder and a defender.

brokenshoelace

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Wayne Rooney heading back to Everton. United have paid his contract up and he's taking a pay cut. His boyhood club and where he's from, so not unexpected.

mrzz

Hater
Reactions
Ok guys, won´t post here much because I do not follow football anymore -- thus I cannot contribute -- but given some discussion in other threads, people might find curious just how I change my tune while talking football. I can´t help it, it is cultural. Just to illustrate, that´s how an average Brazilian would tackle the Pelé x Ronaldo discussion:

"Fuck you, you retarded piece of shit. You need to be a complete blind moron to think that fat homo is better than Pelé. He was clumsy and stupid, you like him because you have two left legs too, and your mother is a fat bitch like him. Pelé could make rain on the stadium while Ronaldo was panicking like a bitch. Pelé scored more than a thousand goals, Ronaldo scored more than a thousand shemales. Fuck you".

The Pelé Maradona discussion would be just a sequence of bad words and transform into a fist fight (at least) in five seconds.

So, guys, please appreciate the huge effort I am doing here...

Reactions: brokenshoelace

Federberg

The GOAT
Reactions
Ok guys, won´t post here much because I do not follow football anymore -- thus I cannot contribute -- but given some discussion in other threads, people might find curious just how I change my tune while talking football. I can´t help it, it is cultural. Just to illustrate, that´s how an average Brazilian would tackle the Pelé x Ronaldo discussion:

"Fuck you, you retarded piece of shit. You need to be a complete blind moron to think that fat homo is better than Pelé. He was clumsy and stupid, you like him because you have two left legs too, and your mother is a fat bitch like him. Pelé could make rain on the stadium while Ronaldo was panicking like a bitch. Pelé scored more than a thousand goals, Ronaldo scored more than a thousand shemales. Fuck you".

The Pelé Maradona discussion would be just a sequence of bad words and transform into a fist fight (at least) in five seconds.

So, guys, please appreciate the huge effort I am doing here...

:lol3:

Too funny! I remember the first time I was walking through Leblon, and I saw one huge guy slap another huge guy so hard he fell down. Maybe they were talking about Ronaldo!