Federer's Schedule for 2017

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
Do we no longer have the ability to delete our own posts?

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
^Welcome back M.

I'm pretty shocked he's pulled out. Was looking forward to his return - I guess I'll just have to wait a while longer.

I know last year, he said his legs felt strange playing on clay - maybe he's just taking precautions. I think Wimbledon is his main goal.

I'll be surprised if Federer doesn't come back for grass season.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Wait, is there any reason why he wouldn't play grass?! That would imply an injury of some kind, and I haven't caught a whiff.

As I said in another thread, his talk of longevity and "years" (plural) to come, and his light schedule this year, makes me think he has really only two goals in mind:

1) Playing as long as he can at a competitive level, and most of all:
2) Winning more Slams

All else - Masters, #1, WTF, lesser tournaments - are extra bonuses. Who knows, maybe he secretly thinks he can compete at the 2020 Olympics.

Of course all players mainly want Slams, but I think for Roger they are even more front and center. Rafa wants Slams, but he probably also wants more time at #1, and that ever-elusive World Tour Finals. Who knows what Novak wants, whether he even really wants to play anymore, but if the desire is there or rekindled, I imagine he wants to beat Rafa in the Slam department, get more time at #1, have the most Masters titles, and even surpass Pete and Roger in the year-end #1 department. In other words, his wish-list is longer. Andy has his own variation, but the point is that Roger's is quite narrow and focused.

I would imagine after winning AO and proving that he can still win a big one, he's now thinking about that magical "20." I think he wants to end his career with the edge over Rafa and Novak in the Slam title department, and probably everyone else for decades to come.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
In February of this year, Roger signed a contract with Basel tourney to play there for the next three years viz., 2017, 2018 and 2019. So, we know he will be there at least till 2019.

This is certainly a strategic decision. It is not the case that he tried to practice on clay and did not feel good. It looks like he did not even step on clay for practicing (he was supposed to begin practicing on clay from today as per one of the alternative plans). So, rest assured that there are no injuries.

bajana

Pro Tour Player
Reactions
In February of this year, Roger signed a contract with Basel tourney to play there for the next three years viz., 2017, 2018 and 2019. So, we know he will be there at least till 2019.

This is certainly a strategic decision. It is not the case that he tried to practice on clay and did not feel good. It looks like he did not even step on clay for practicing (he was supposed to begin practicing on clay from today as per one of the alternative plans). So, rest assured that there are no injuries.
I saw a tweet I think it was by Luthi with a pic of Roger practicing on clay with two young Swiss... this was just prior to the announcement.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I saw a tweet I think it was by Luthi with a pic of Roger practicing on clay with two young Swiss... this was just prior to the announcement.

Yes, you are right; I too read recently that he practiced for 2 or 3 days on clay.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Even if he does not play RG, I hope he plays Montecarlo and Rome couple of times each, to give him a chance to complete the resume.

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I think if he cared about his Masters resume he would have played at least one of those two this year.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
I think if he cared about his Masters resume he would have played at least one of those two this year.

I agree he does not care about those. All I said was I care. He may actually play Rome once or twice. But, I don't see him playing MC ever again being so early in the clay season.

Reactions: El Dude

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I agree he does not care about those. All I said was I care. He may actually play Rome once or twice. But, I don't see him playing MC ever again being so early in the clay season.
Roger probably came as close as he was ever again going to come to winning MC when he made the finals in 2014, and Rome in the finals in 2013. I'm guessing he'll play them again when he does the victory lap before he retires. Likewise, possibly RG. If he didn't play the French this year, given all the positives in his favor, then he'll only play again to say good-bye, imo. This does feel like his competitive sign-off on the clay season.

Shivashish Sarkar

Major Winner
Reactions
I was a little put off at first to hear about Roger's withdrawl. But he is doing this to prepare in the best manner for Wimbledon. This year Roger can showcase his A-game unlike the last 5-6 years.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I guess he'll skip the clay season till he retires, his doctor told him long rallies wasn't good for his knee, he could pick up an injury and stay sidelined so it's better for him to avoid clay. I don't think it'll help him (or not) for grass season, last year he almost skipped clay and didn't win a single title on grass so wait and see what happens this year

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
He had a knee injury last year in case you've forgotten.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I guess he'll skip the clay season till he retires, his doctor told him long rallies wasn't good for his knee, he could pick up an injury and stay sidelined so it's better for him to avoid clay. I don't think it'll help him (or not) for grass season, last year he almost skipped clay and didn't win a single title on grass so wait and see what happens this year

He played Madrid and Rome last year and obviously was struggling (knee and back). Not really comparable this year.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
He had a knee injury last year in case you've forgotten.
nobody knows if he's fit today, he hasn't played for a long time and the reason why he's skipped clay season is unknown from us (only him knows)

mightyjeditribble

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
I hope he gets another heavy stacked draw like he did in AO plus Andy and Djoker.. its great for tennis when Roger is at his very best against the game's top talent,IMO

Also, I have gotten the feeling this year that Fed is motivated by "difficult" draws. :)

Not sure what that means about his chances in Stuttgart though ...