Federer's Schedule for 2017

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
The suspense is over. Roger Federer confirms that he has entered RG (and will actively try to win it and not merely be just a participant).

Tennis Channel tweeted the announcement made by Roger in an interview to Mary Carillo at the Match for Africa with Bill Gates.

Here is the video if you want to hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
the AntiPusher said:
That's a real shocker...

Said facetiously I hope since he did say in Miami that he would probably play. Who knows - maybe he just wants to try to beat Nadal on clay just to see if he can do it with his improved backhand. Or just to see if he can play aggressive tennis on the slowest, most boring surface known to mankind. :lolz: Come on, admit it, as much as Roger likes Nadal...don't tell me that secretly he wouldn't love to be the one who keeps Nadal from getting #10 at the FO and #15 overall? :snicker

mightyjeditribble

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
The suspense is over. Roger Federer confirms that he has entered RG (and will actively try to win it and not merely be just a participant).

Tennis Channel tweeted the announcement made by Roger in an interview to Mary Carillo at the Match for Africa with Bill Gates.

I didn't see anything new in that video or the link that suggests a final decision has been made.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
mightyjeditribble said:
GameSetAndMath said:

I didn't see anything new in that video or the link that suggests a final decision has been made.

As the link I gave was to the twitter page, new videos get added to it again and again. You probably saw a wrong video. But the correct video is still in that page (in the 14th position or so from the top right now).

mightyjeditribble

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Here is another link . See the video in here.
I can't view the video from here, but the text in the link (which I'd looked at before) doesn't suggest anything new.

He's still saying "the plan" is to play RG, but that he needs to be there because he wants to be and because he wants to try to win it. It's the same thing he said before, when he also said he won't make a final decision before next week.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
mightyjeditribble said:
GameSetAndMath said:
Here is another link . See the video in here.
I can't view the video from here, but the text in the link (which I'd looked at before) doesn't suggest anything new.

He's still saying "the plan" is to play RG, but that he needs to be there because he wants to be and because he wants to try to win it. It's the same thing he said before, when he also said he won't make a final decision before next week.

I don't know why you are not able to see the video. May be you are trying to access from a different country and it is forbidden there. Anyway, this is not the same as before. Before, he was having some doubt in his action plan itself. Now he has decided that he does want to play in RG.

Of course, after starting to practice in clay, if he feels it is arduous he may drop out though.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
he'll announce today if he plays RG, I bet he'll play

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Apparently, Roger has ordered 36 boxes of balls that will be used at RG'17. Obviously, he plans to use them while practicing on clay next week. So, good signs that Roger will actually play RG, unless of course he feels something funny during practice on clay.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Apparently, Roger has ordered 36 boxes of balls that will be used at RG'17. Obviously, he plans to use them while practicing on clay next week. So, good signs that Roger will actually play RG, unless of course he feels something funny during practice on clay.

I'd be shocked if he didn't play and that backs up the 99.99% likelihood he'll play. Hardly ordered those so he can fondle his balls at home till grass season.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
GameSetAndMath said:
Federer's official web page lists Dubai, Indian Wells and Miami as his schedule for the initial segment of the year. It appears that he will release his schedule for later parts only after these tourneys are over.

Given that the above schedule includes Miami, I believe he will probably skip the entire clay season except for the Rolland Garros.

Good call GSM!

Busted

Major Winner
Reactions
Fed announces that that he will skip RG . What a bummer. :nono: But, I will forgive him if he wins both Wimbledon and USO. :)

Bummer. Basically Roger's saying to Nadal - I'll spot you Roland Garros for #15. I just hope Roger's not putting all his eggs in one grass basket. One thing it does prove - he doesn't care about returning to #1 that much or else he wouldn't be skipping a Slam.

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
Just home and read the news on tennis.com. Hopefully Roger wins Wimbledon after making this big sacrifice as realistically besides him no one can now challenge him at RG. To coin a phrase: arse biscuits. My interest in watching slams drops monumentally when Roger's not playing.

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I hope Fed made this decision to focus on winning Wimby, not because he felt an injury while practicing for FO. Can anyone confirm?

10isfan

Major Winner
Reactions
I hope Fed made this decision to focus on winning Wimby, not because he felt an injury while practicing for FO. Can anyone confirm?

Front242

The GOAT
Reactions
No injury. Wants to focus on raping and pillaging on grass and hard courts.

Mastoor

Major Winner
Reactions
I was surprised to see Federer not playing on clay and especially now when he skips RG because he really looked in unbelievable form at the beginning of the year and it really looked like he will win every tournament he enters for the rest of the year. After all, he won all those tournaments without breaking a sweat in conditions when his lot younger opponents, Nadal and Kyrgious I remember, were all sweaty after 20 minutes of high intensity match. But now, when Rafa rejuvenated out of blue as well and entered the form of his life, perhaps Fed doesn't believe he can win RG anymore. I think it would be close call between the two. they are both playing - well, not believable.

Reactions: britbox

britbox

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^Welcome back M.

I'm pretty shocked he's pulled out. Was looking forward to his return - I guess I'll just have to wait a while longer.

I know last year, he said his legs felt strange playing on clay - maybe he's just taking precautions. I think Wimbledon is his main goal.

Reactions: Mastoor