Early Roland Garros Chat

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Welcome, Roberto! Agreed. I think everyone is looking for an attitude adjustment for Novak, and Andre has been there on wandering in the desert with his tennis, as well as becoming a very grounded person, later.
Moxie..do you think Andre will hire "slim" to be Novak's spiritual "herbal" consultant :lulz2::cheerleader:

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Moxie..do you think Andre will hire "slim" to be Novak's spiritual "herbal" consultant :lulz2::cheerleader:
Who is "Slim?" For the record, I do rather think that Andre is in it for the short-term, and won't be hiring anybody.

isabelle

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Who is "Slim?" For the record, I do rather think that Andre is in it for the short-term, and won't be hiring anybody.
I'ld be grateful if Andre could fire this stupid Pepe Imaz....

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
I understand that the 'Pepe relation' is already for 6 years so I doubt Andre is going to fire him, I'd say that Pepe would fire Andre.....;)

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Somebody named Tennys gets a wild card to RG.

p.s. MJD, your list is correct and so I have deleted my wrong list.

Last edited:
Reactions: britbox

mightyjeditribble

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
According to
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/n...here_are_the_rolandgarros_2017_wildcards.html

the wildcards are:

• Julien Benneteau
  • Benjamin Bonzi
  • Mathias Bourgue
  • Quentin Halys
  • Laurent Lokoli
  • Alexandre Muller
  • Tennys Sandgren (USA)
  • Following to the agreement between the FFT and Tennis Australia, a wild-card is allocated to a player from Australia.
This is dated May 16, so some time ago. Your list may be from 2015?
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/n...ildcards_for_the_mens_and_womens_singles.html

It seems the Australian wildcard has since been confirmed to be de Minaur.

https://www.tennis.com.au/news/2017/05/18/de-minaur-awarded-wildcard-for-roland-garros

Last edited:

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
LOL, Pouille is a top 20 player - he definitely isn't a wildcard.

the AntiPusher

The GOAT
Reactions
Have anyone seen this comedian Elliot Loney's impersonation of Rafa..its dead on..Carol..can you attach the link please. Even Rafa's team has got to find it hilarious

El Dude

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
1. Novak
2. Thiem
3. Stan
4. Zverev
5. Andy
6. Tsonga
7. Monfils
8. D Brown
9. Rosol
10. Darcis
11. Soderling
12. Rafa

mightyjeditribble

Pro Tour Champion
Reactions
1. Rafa
2. Thiem
3. Stan
4. Novak
5. Zverev
6. Sir Andy

No question about No 1 of course. :)

I find it hard to order Thiem/Stan/Novak. If forced, I would probably go with Novak > Thiem > Stan, but there is so little in it and so many questions:
  • Thiem has been second-best player in the clay-court season, but is he really ready to go all the way at a slam, when he hasn't managed to do it at a masters?
  • Djokovic is defending champion, and has made some progress in reaching the Rome final, but obviously hasn't been able to string good results together since the beginning of the year, really.
  • Wawrinka hasn't shown much form on clay this year, but he's such a streaky player, and lives for the big stage, so can always go on an unstoppable run. Hard to count out the former champion!
I would definitely hesitate putting Zverev above Murray. Again, current form favours him, but impressive as he was in holding it together in Rome, doing it over two weeks at RG ... I really don't see it. Andy at least has made the final here before, and knows what it takes to do it in a GS.

TL;DR: Nadal > Djokovic = Thiem = Wawrinka > Murray > Zverev.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
Have anyone seen this comedian Elliot Loney's impersonation of Rafa..its dead on..Carol..can you attach the link please. Even Rafa's team has got to find it hilarious
Which one? because he has many of themB-)

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
^ I agree with absolutely all of this, @mightyjeditribble, including how you see Thiem and Zverev, though Thiem did reach the semis at RG last year. Sasha has gone from a skunking by Rafa at MC to a trophy in Rome, which is amazing, but I'm not sure I'm seeing him zooming to the clay Major. Djokovic is the bookies' universal 2nd choice, but that's slightly unimaginative, and not reflective of his year. He had 2 good days in Rome, then a bad one; he's completely re-jiggered his team, and even down to changing his clothing sponsor. It's hard to see him as more than a work-in-progress/Spring-cleaning version of himself, rather than hefting the Coupe des Mousquetaires at the end of RG. Murray and Wawrinka are huge question marks...could go deep, could bail early. I know that Stan is more likely, in his unreliability, but if Andy stays in, I'd give him a chance over the newbies. It will all become a little clearer when we see the draw, I guess.