Early Roland Garros Chat

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I said on the other thread that this is the best he's played all year. And at this level? RG last year, probably. Of course he can still do it. The last 2 matches will raise his confidence, which is a big part of his recent problem, and tomorrow will likely add to it. (Should he lose to Zverev tomorrow, it will be a confidence set-back, but I don't see it happening.) If he doesn't get a rough draw to start at RG, he should be able to build on that confidence, which would make him dangerous in the 2nd week of RG. Is the mojo all the way back? Did he just flip the switch back to "on." He's been a mystery for a while now, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I don't think Novak is doing so well but Thiem has helped him to look better because his game has been horrible, 10.000 errors trying to do as well as yesterday with Rafa but nothing was working well today, he played a awful match. I don't know if he was exhausted or impossible to repeat the good shots which Rafa help him too but the poor guy looked worse than an amateur
No need to diminish what Novak did today by dumping on Thiem. Djokovic saw what he did to Rafa, then stepped in and cut off his options. He's a bit inexperienced at this high level, but Djokovic played amazingly well, and Thiem made some rookie shot choices and errors, but he kept his cool and didn't give up. What happened today was about Novak, not really about Dominick. Thiem could hardly have affected the outcome less if he'd been sitting in the stands.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
No need to diminish what Novak did today by dumping on Thiem. Djokovic saw what he did to Rafa, then stepped in and cut off his options. He's a bit inexperienced at this high level, but Djokovic played amazingly well, and Thiem made some rookie shot choices and errors, but he kept his cool and didn't give up. What happened today was about Novak, not really about Dominick. Thiem could hardly have affected the outcome less if he'd been sitting in the stands.

I'm not diminished what Novak did today, he played well, no doubts about it but don't tell me that it was a great match and competitive, Thiem is not the best (no yet though someones think he can win RG) but not the worst like he played today. I see that we have watched a different match

Last edited:

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Things certainly get a little more interesting with Nole winning Rome (assuming he beats Sascha tomorrow). I'd still have Rafa the heavy favorite though as I'm not convinced Nole is back based on one good tournament. It's definitely a nice step for him though even if he doesn't go deep at RG. He needed a big time performance at a big event and he's gotten it.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Assuming they all are in different quarters, Rafa, Stan (assuming he loses early in Geneva completing his preparation), Thiem and Zverev should be favorites to reach SF.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Latest odds for winning RG (after Rome is conquered).

1. Rafa 10/11
2. Nole 10/3
3. Thiem 10
4. Stan 14
5. Andy 14
6. Zverev 20

All the rest are 50 and higher.

GameSetAndMath

The GOAT
Reactions
Top 16 seeds at RG:

1. Andy
2. Novak
3. Stan
4. Rafa
5. Milos
6. Thiem
7. Cilic
8. Kei
9. Zverev
10. Goffin
11. Dimitrov
12. Tsonga
13. Berdych
14. Sock
15. Monfils
16. Pouille

Keep in mind that in R16, the top four will be randomly matched against players seeded 13 through 16 and players seeded 5 through 8 will be randomly matched against players seeded 9 through 12.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Things certainly get a little more interesting with Nole winning Rome (assuming he beats Sascha tomorrow). I'd still have Rafa the heavy favorite though as I'm not convinced Nole is back based on one good tournament. It's definitely a nice step for him though even if he doesn't go deep at RG. He needed a big time performance at a big event and he's gotten it.
Not replying to this to dig at you, but it's a good place to transition from the Rome thread to this one. Novak went from stunningly great form yesterday, to somewhere between mediocre and astonishingly grumpy and off-kilter today. If the model is Federer and Nadal in their off-years, some days on, some days off seems to be the way it goes, finding your way back. Given that Novak has essentially two rounds of great play so far this season, except for Doha, it's hard to imagine that he's going to pull together 7 straight matches of good enough play to defend his title at RG, though he may be more in-form by Wimbledon. The new relationship with Agassi will be interesting.

Reactions: GameSetAndMath

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
I shouldn't have assumed he'd win clearly but just thought Zverev wouldn't be so steady today. The. main story is his breakthrough this week and bringing it home in his first big final. But a close second is just how dismal Nole was today and after a few really strong matches this week. It's encouraging yet devastating altogether for him.

Djoker won't be winning either RG or Wimbledon, he could be back to a good level at USO maybe. Having Agassi will help

Last edited:

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
While Zverev is celebring his first MS Roger probably is thinking why he never has won in Roma :(

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
If not having Rome and Monte Carlo actually kept Roger awake at night he'd have made a point in playing them. Just like I don't think Miami and Paris are really that important to Nadal at this point.

Reactions: Frode789 and Moxie

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
I shouldn't have assumed he'd win clearly but just thought Zverev wouldn't be so steady today. The. main story is his breakthrough this week and bringing it home in his first big final. But a close second is just how dismal Nole was today and after a few really strong matches this week. It's encouraging yet devastating altogether for him.

Djoker won't be winning either RG or Wimbledon, he could be back to a good level at USO maybe. Having Agassi will help
Funnily, you didn't trust your own instincts. You said Djokovic couldn't come back that fast. Zverev, on the other hand, is a bit ahead of schedule. He's also very mentally strong. Djokovic not so much today.

DarthFed

The GOAT
Reactions
Well I did say yesterday that even a tournament win here wouldn't signal he was back and I stand by that. But it goes without saying he'd be in a better place mentally heading into RG. I didn't think he'd have to play particularly well to bag the match today, first big final for the kid, first time vs. Nole and it's on what figures to be his worst surface. Given all that, it was a tremendous performance and Nole would've had to play well to take it today, better than I would've thought.

Carol

Grand Slam Champion
Reactions
If not having Rome and Monte Carlo actually kept Roger awake at night he'd have made a point in playing them. Just like I don't think Miami and Paris are really that important to Nadal at this point.
I think they only know if those tournaments are or not important for them...
Watching now Nadal-Federer in the RG final 2011, very competitive match 7-5 7-6 5-7 6-1

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
Well I did say yesterday that even a tournament win here wouldn't signal he was back and I stand by that. But it goes without saying he'd be in a better place mentally heading into RG. I didn't think he'd have to play particularly well to bag the match today, first big final for the kid, first time vs. Nole and it's on what figures to be his worst surface. Given all that, it was a tremendous performance and Nole would've had to play well to take it today, better than I would've thought.
He has the recent memory of how he played on Sat., but mentally on Sunday he was back to a bit of a disaster...complaining to the crowd early, swearing at them loudly later, etc. I'd say his game has been located on the radar, but his head still seems to be a bit more AWOL.

roberto

Futures Player
Reactions
As I said on another thread, I think Agassi will bring a lot to Novak "head-wise" more than strategy, but that remains to be seen.

Moxie

Multiple Major Winner
Reactions
As I said on another thread, I think Agassi will bring a lot to Novak "head-wise" more than strategy, but that remains to be seen.
Welcome, Roberto! Agreed. I think everyone is looking for an attitude adjustment for Novak, and Andre has been there on wandering in the desert with his tennis, as well as becoming a very grounded person, later.